Need recommendations on air purifiers

Cristiancjb

54 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

I bought a Mi 3H. 

Seems to do what it's supposed to, although the app doesn't work (but who needs to use it, anyway?). 

FYI, it's interesting to see that when you turn on your AC, the PM2.5 count goes up due to the particulate matter stuck in the AC filters (if yours has any filters -- one Panasonic I have has none). So clean your AC filters often, is a good tip. 

The Xiaomi Home app does work. You may need to go to profile/settings and change the region to Thailand. That is what I had to do.

Edit: After changing the region, search for devices again.

Edited by thedemon

On 1/22/2020 at 4:10 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That would be a very bad setup... Wonder if the Xiaomi machines doing that are China local or their global models?

I wish someone with a global Xiaomi unit and would post more clearly on just how its AUTO or similar mode functions, and what PM2.5 levels the AUTO or similar mode maintains at.... and what PM2.5 levels correspond to any green/yellow/red colors on the readout.

I have xiaomi pro global and the auto mode try to keep the pm 2.5 at around 50. For this reason, I use a fixed speed and easily maintain a reading under 10 and outside it's over 120.

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tayaout said:

I have xiaomi pro global and the auto mode try to keep the pm 2.5 at around 50. 

Thanks for that!  Just to be clear, do you mean 50 AQI or 50 micrograms of PM2.5? I'm assuming you mean micrograms because that's what the Xiaomi units show as their digital readout, not AQI.

Assuming you mean a level of 50 micrograms, that's too high and not very healthy to be breathing in a purified air environment.  But both China and Thailand allow higher levels of PM2.5 pollution than other countries... And of course Xiaomi is a Chinese manufacturer with China geared products.

If you look at the graphic below showing a comparison of the US vs the China AQI scales for PM2.5 pollution (with micrograms as the lower scale values), you'll see that while the two are the same at the higher levels of pollution, the China scale allows much higher levels of pollution before declaring the air red/unhealthy. The U.S. red category starts at about 55 micrograms, whereas the Chinese equivalent red level looks to start only at about 115 micrograms.

629489849_2020-01-2319_13_44.jpg.605cba78e91d8af97fd92ea55138473e.jpg

http://aqicn.org/faq/2015-03-20/a-comparison-of-worldwide-air-quality-scales-part-1/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a Xiaomi mi S2 bought last season that is very effective and I am thinking of buying a new one for the 2nd bedroom. I just came across a company here called Airdeveloppa, it seems spawned from CMU. After r&d since last season they are in production with units achieving the same results as Xiaomi as far as I can tell, but for only about 25% of the cost. About 1400. I think it's run by a German guy and seems worth a look.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, beau thai said:

I have a Xiaomi mi S2 bought last season that is very effective and I am thinking of buying a new one for the 2nd bedroom. I just came across a company here called Airdeveloppa, it seems spawned from CMU. After r&d since last season they are in production with units achieving the same results as Xiaomi as far as I can tell, but for only about 25% of the cost. About 1400. I think it's run by a German guy and seems worth a look.

I see they have a FB page under the name you mention in your post. Their spec sheet says their unit is sized to handle up to a 25 sq mt. space. They seem to be selling a single purifier with "HEPA" filter, or a higher priced package with purifier and several filters -- both reasonably priced.

They say their filters are HEPA and will remove 99% of the bad stuff, though true HEPA means a 99.97% filtering capacity. So I dunno if they were just being casual with their number reference, or the filter they're using is somewhat less than true HEPA.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I see they have a FB page under the name you mention in your post. Their spec sheet says their unit is sized to handle up to a 25 sq mt. space. They seem to be selling a single purifier with "HEPA" filter, or a higher priced package with purifier and several filters -- both reasonably priced.

They say their filters are HEPA and will remove 99% of the bad stuff, though true HEPA means a 99.97% filtering capacity. So I dunno if they were just being casual with their number reference, or the filter they're using is somewhat less than true HEPA.

I checked the video and they seem to be using a standard xiaomi filter + some inline duct fan. 

• 4 weeks later...

@TallGuyJohninBKK It is true what you say about HEPA. Please go to their website where you can find the CMU testing report.

In the report the averaged efficiency of the HEPA filter comes to 99.86%, this is still not 99.97%, although this is a good number which has been found by testing, therefore it can be seen that it is not just some marketing number but actual test results.