Interrogated at Poipet despite not visiting Thailand in over 2 years

56 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Posts like that should always include pictures or at least honest descriptions of the people who have problems. Because it seems only few people have these problems... 

why

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, youbuyshirt said:

My recent experience at Poipet Aranyaprathet border getting a 30 day visa exempt entry:

The Thai immigration officer asked me if I had a hotel booking. I did, but did not have a printout of it. I did not know they needed to see that. I had read that they might ask for a return ticket, and to show money, not for a hotel printout. I had read that you only need a hotel printout when you apply for a visa, not for a visa-free entry.

I said if I could login to my email I could show them my booking, but I did not have an internet connection.

So I was sent to the immigration supervisor, who interrogated me, asking me over and over what I planned to do in Thailand and lots of other questions.

I pointed out to him that I had not been in Thailand in 2-1/2 years and the two previous entries in my passport were for very brief stays, and a year apart. I thought they were only interrogating frequent visa runners. I pointed out that I was of retirement age and not working.

He finally let me in, saying “Welcome to Thailand” but I was very upset about being interrogated like a criminal and it gave me a very bad feeling for the rest of my trip.

I also saw a perfectly sweet looking young lady get refused entry. She seemed not to understand that she had been refused, so they rudely and angrily pointed to the door from which she had entered, and she had to do a long “walk of shame” with her head bowed down, as everyone in the long arrival line stared at her, thinking she must be a criminal.

I had read that Poipet was now very strict but did not think it would affect me since I had not been in Thailand in a long time and was not a visa-runner.

I think Thailand needs to learn a lesson about how to treat people who are putting money into their economy. It is no longer a favored destination for me.

Do you mind telling your immigration history in Thailand before your recent return?

Edited by post
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Think about it for a few minutes. And if no answer comes to your mind try again after a good night's sleep. ???? 

no you explain your reasoning, or are you saying smart looking dressed are not being stopped/refused

Would be interesting to know what Cambodia Visa OP was on, long term "business" perhaps ?

Most Thai consider Cambodia like the worst place on earth and can't grasp why would a foreigner go there and take the crappiest land border to cross instead of taking a plane, that's why they are always more suspicious of people crossing there and will deny most of everyone whenever possible.

There is like dozens of people being rejected specifically at Poipet everyday.

The rules state that you need these 3 things to cross a land border successfully visa-exempt (max twice per year) :

- print of flight ticket out of Thailand

- print of hotel booking

- 20'000 THB or equivalent in cash

Without this it's a lottery.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freeman01 said:

Would be interesting to know what Cambodia Visa OP was on, long term "business" perhaps ?

Most Thai consider Cambodia like the worst place on earth and can't grasp why would a foreigner go there and take the crappiest land border to cross instead of taking a plane, that's why they are always more suspicious of people crossing there and will deny most of everyone whenever possible.

There is like dozens of people being rejected specifically at Poipet everyday.

The rules state that you need these 3 things to cross a land border successfully visa-exempt (max twice per year) :

- print of flight ticket out of Thailand

- print of hotel booking

- 20'000 THB or equivalent in cash

Without this it's a lottery.

If you knew where most of them worked prior to Poipet and the reputation that area had you might understand.

10 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Thailand needs to learn a lesson about how to treat people who are putting money into their economy.

I believe there is a concerted effort by Thai immigration to create an atmosphere of uncertainty...fear...angst...unfriendly experience...to discourage some tourists and retirees...

The real question remains...why?

The same old answer. This is a third world country with a third world mentality.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

9 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Posts like that should always include pictures or at least honest descriptions of the people who have problems. Because it seems only few people have these problems... 

Really?? "Only few people"???? There are plenty of reports appearing in this forum about westerners having to deal with IOs and their hostile attitudes nearly every day, sounds like more than a few to me.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1