Interrogated at Poipet despite not visiting Thailand in over 2 years

15 hours ago, overherebc said:

Yes, and I've worked with a few. The decisions they make on solving most problems are based on what their boss tells them. Doesn't matter if it's right or wrong, boss says so, so that's the way it is.

Should fit in very well in Thailand. ????

19 hours ago, IvorLott said:

I imagine some 'round up', followed by a mass expulsion of foreigners would cause irreparable long-term damage to Thailand's already frail tourist industry, let alone her equally frail international reputation (especially in Human Rights).

Bangkok is the most visited city in the world. Look it up. I wouldn’t categorize Thailand as having a frail tourist economy. 

Edited by Onrai
Additional info. Added.
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Traubert said:

By definition Thailand is not and has never been a third world country.

The same old false statement. It's a developing country.

Which they love to tout as though it's something special, but they've been doing that since the Yanks left after Vietnam.

I do have to wonder when it will actually ever become developed.

Every year millions enter Thailand and sail past immigration with no hassles. However they do not post about these experiences, so sadly we end up with only those negative experiences being posted about which creates a false narrative that immigration is has it in for foreigners. If that were the case one would expect tens of or hundreds of thousands of negative posts, rather than a few thousand a year. 

• Thanks 2

It looks like some travellers are still super sensitive with this stuff.

Everyone knows IOS anywhere are never a smiley bunch.

The guy got asked questions, then let in with " welcome to Thailand"..

more than i ever got.

And If you ever used Visa Exempt, you should also know by now, it puts a target on your head.

If you cant handle questions and a guy who really is just doin his job..

get a dxxn visa

not that hard!!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 1/8/2020 at 5:21 PM, jackdd said:

All three of your points are wrong

No flight ticket required

No hotel booking required

Only 10,000 THB cash required

Care to elaborate a bit ? Your statement is very misleading so a bit more details are required.

Been told those specifics requirements by an IO at bkk airport and got rejected myself at poipet once because of the lacks of those documents (I had the cash in hand), also it is the requirements for a visa so ... "inaccurate" maybe, "wrong" i dont think so.

You are abaolutely wrong and really not helping anyone in implying you only need 10'000 thb to cross a land border.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, freeman01 said:

You are abaolutely wrong and really not helping anyone in implying you only need 10'000 thb to cross a land border.

I believe 10,000 is correct for a sole tourist arriving without a Visa, ie 30 day exempt. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, freeman01 said:

Care to elaborate a bit ? Your statement is very misleading so a bit more details are required.

Been told those specifics requirements by an IO at bkk airport and got rejected myself at poipet once because of the lacks of those documents (I had the cash in hand), also it is the requirements for a visa so ... "inaccurate" maybe, "wrong" i dont think so.

There is no written requirement to have a hotel booking to enter Thailand (if an IO is looking to deny you entry he might of course try to make something up, similar to an imaginary 180 days limit etc.)

If entering at a land border there is no requirement to have a flight ticket out. In case you arrive at an airport (or by ship) and want to get a visa exempt, there is a requirement to have a booked ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

When entering Thailand visa exempt the required cash is 10k THB, if arriving with a visa it's 20k THB.

In your previous post you were talking about visa exempt at a land border, thus no hotel booking, no flight ticket and only 10k THB cash required.

These are the requirements when actually entering Thailand, the requirements to obtain a visa might be different from this, because those can be defined by the embassy in each country.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, freeman01 said:

Comparing the crossing at Poi Pet to other crossings is like comparing apples to oranges.

I would say 99% of them would never ask to see tickets or hotel reservations and about the same for showing the money.

The official amount of cash needed is 10K baht for a 30 day visa exempt entry.

• Like 2

On 1/8/2020 at 9:08 PM, Sheryl said:

At this specific border crossing it is certainly more than 1%. I go through it all the time (it is near my house), always see people being hassled, shaken down for bribes, denied entry. Khmer and foreigners both.

Ditto...

That was very convenient for me because I am living in Nadee, Prachinburi, and I am often visiting friends who are living in Phnom Penh.

But the last time that I went through they did not even want to let me out pretending that I did an illegal entry and my extension was bogus.

To make a long story short, I had to call myself Prachinburi immigration and the IO lady in charge totally lost her face.

Edited by lazygourmet
  • Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 5:53 PM, Traubert said:

You could make an argument that it was a Third World country for a few years prior to the Manila Pact in 1954...but that's a sneaky argument. 

You're largely correct. Then again, most people uttering the words "Third World" don't even know the origins of the term or its complicated meaning.

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2020 at 5:53 PM, Traubert said:

Third world Country, by definition a country neither a member of NATO nor the Soviet Bloc.

As far as I know Thailand has never joined either.

Sorry to be pedantic.

Back on topic, Aranyaprathet border is a bloody nightmare, always has been, probably always will be.

A shame as I like Siem Reap, and a bus trip over that border is the easiest way to get there.

Edited by BritManToo

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

There is no written requirement to have a hotel booking to enter Thailand (if an IO is looking to deny you entry he might of course try to make something up, similar to an imaginary 180 days limit etc.)

If entering at a land border there is no requirement to have a flight ticket out. In case you arrive at an airport (or by ship) and want to get a visa exempt, there is a requirement to have a booked ticket out of Thailand within 30 days.

When entering Thailand visa exempt the required cash is 10k THB, if arriving with a visa it's 20k THB.

In your previous post you were talking about visa exempt at a land border, thus no hotel booking, no flight ticket and only 10k THB cash required.

These are the requirements when actually entering Thailand, the requirements to obtain a visa might be different from this, because those can be defined by the embassy in each country.

My bad, I checked and indeed I was on a setv when asked 20k thb.

I understand my statement about "the rules" was wrong, now my point was to help people (think google search) who do frequent crossing that with those documents your chance of getting denied entry are very low.

So to reiterate, our best bet to get through land border on visa-exempt (max 2 per year) you need the following (even at poipet) :

- ticket out the country (bus, ferry, flight)

- hotel booking

- 10'000 thb

With this they will have a hard time to refuse you entry, though it is still possible.

Now the easiest free refundable ticket to get are flight ticket. Bus and ferry ticket are hardly refundable but cost can be negligible like below 10 usd. Expensive refundable flight ticket will weight much more in the eye of the officer, keep that in mind ...

Refundable Hotel booking are dead easy to get on booking.com.

Hope everyone can agree on this.

Edited by freeman01
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, scottiddled said:

There's no need to jump on every poster who has a bad experience.

I agree.

Aranyaprathet is the only border I've ever had a problem.

Not to mention the bribe required at Poipet (only time ever as well)

And I've been in and out (always on Non-o) for the past ten years.

IMHO the only way to avoid problems at this border is to not use it.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Third world Country, by definition a country neither a member of NATO nor the Soviet Bloc.

As far as I know Thailand has never joined either.

Sorry to be pedantic.

It's the internet. We can all be a little pedantic. ????

But your definition of Third World is a bit too narrow. A country need not have been in NATO to have been considered in the "Western Bloc." By that narrow definition, Australia, New Zealand, and Taiwan would be considered "Third World."

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, scottiddled said:

It's the internet. We can all be a little pedantic. ????

But your definition of Third World is a bit too narrow. A country need not have been in NATO to have been considered in the "Western Bloc." By that narrow definition, Australia, New Zealand, and Taiwan would be considered "Third World."

You would need to argue with the people that write the dictionaries, it's not my definition.

Origin
4d0b43b21e3dfd1b720c496e969db73041300889
first applied in the 1950s by French commentators who used tiers monde to distinguish the developing countries from the capitalist and Communist blocs.
Edited by BritManToo

27 minutes ago, freeman01 said:

My bad, I checked and indeed I was on a setv when asked 20k thb.

I understand my statement about "the rules" was wrong, now my point was to help people (think google search) who do frequent crossing that with those documents your chance of getting denied entry are very low.

So to reiterate, our best bet to get through land border on visa-exempt (max 2 per year) you need the following (even at poipet) :

- hotel booking

- 10'000 thb

With this they will have a hard time to refuse you entry, though it is still possible.

Now the easiest free refundable ticket to get are flight ticket. Bus and ferry ticket are hardly refundable but cost can be negligible like below 10 usd. Expensive refundable flight ticket will weight much more in the eye of the officer, keep that in mind ...

"you need the following (even at poipet)"

That part I think no one can agree on. Poipet doesn't follow the normal rules, they make them up as it goes. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

"you need the following (even at poipet)"

That part I think no one can agree on. Poipet doesn't follow the normal rules, they make them up as it goes. 

I don't know, from my experience after crying on the officer's feet for a while he was about to let me in but renounced in the end because I was lacking a ticket out and hotel booking, if i had those i would have gone through.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You would need to argue with the people that write the dictionaries, it's not my definition.

Origin
4d0b43b21e3dfd1b720c496e969db73041300889
first applied in the 1950s by French commentators who used tiers monde to distinguish the developing countries from the capitalist and Communist blocs.

I get that. And it's not cut and dry, at all. And the definition has shifted repeatedly over time (now it's casually used in economic, not political terms).

By virtue of the Manila Treaty, I'd include Thailand (post 1954 or whatever) in the "capitalist bloc" (better termed the "Western bloc"). Wikipedia would agree with me (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_World#/media/File:Cold_War_alliances_mid-1975.svg). But a case could be made that, when Sauvy originally coined the term (in 1952), since Thailand wasn't with the bloc at the time, it was Third World. Or one could argue that the Manila Treaty isn't enough to place Thailand in the U.S./NATO hegemony. I'd say it is, and my background is in international relations. But others may disagree.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, freeman01 said:

- hotel booking

- 10'000 thb

Useful post, as long as this is emphasized: most of this isn't the rules. As you correctly noted, it's travelers' "best bet to get through" given the arbitrary, inconsistent, and sometimes hostile whims of IOs.

I think someone could write a useful forum post or blog post that walks the reader through the differences in:

• the law
  • what's the law requires of a tourist (for VE, VOA, to get a tourist visa, and to enter on a tourist visa)
  • and what is occasionally asked about/demanded from IOs in practice that isn't in the law (e.g., printouts of hotel bookings)
  • real-world tips on how to meet the various requirements in different ways (e.g., as freeman offers several options for travel tickets, refundable hotel bookings)

Or we could get some brass with the Immigration Police committed to enforcing the law as written and slapping down rogue IOs who have their own rules. But that's wishful thinking. ????

I went in and out through AP - Poipet last September... I was in Cambo for about half an hour.

The Thai immi staff did pull me over at the desk for a chat, and I spoke to the boss man (who I recognised) in Thai for a bit, and then we switched to English. I explained my family was waiting for me on the other side,  and we had to get back to hospital. I also suggested I'd lived in Thailand for lots of years, which may or may not be true, and happened to have a stamped official letter showing my address nearby (not a pr letter btw, just a residence letter). The guy suddenly changed his tone and hopped up and over to the guy on the desk telling him that I (or people with my kind of visa) could reenter the same day (I could understand his Thai). All over, but I probably wouldn't try it again. As for my appearance, I dressed in long-sleeved shirt, trousers, and proper shoes, and a businessy rucksack, and no tats, dreads, piercings.

Edited by codebunny