Big Joke shooting: Alleged corruption in biometrics and smart car projects take center stage

webfact

1 hour ago, SiSePuede419 said:

100,000 quid is pretty expensive !!

Nothing cheap about lexus 

Over 15 years net salary for most Thais.....at least!! 

Most Thais make as little as 150 to 300 Baht a day.

But even here in Chiang Rai, I see Mercedes and BMWs almost every day.  Doubt they are part of the Big 5 Richest Families in Thailand.

So, there is a huge gap in income inequality here, one of the highest in the world.

Second only to Russia, where Putin and his Oligarch cronies are robbing the Russian people blind.

Literally.  Most Russians believe only Putin can fix the corruption.

????????????????????????????

Batista's Cuba. I dream of 1958.

19 hours ago, Traubert said:

Apart from all those false passports they found........and securing the borders of course....and bringing their border security up to date with the biometric passports issued around the world now.

But apart from that.....

really  helps  with the Burmese  border when you can just wander over though or  pay immigration at some of those checkpoints to get in especially if  migrant workers in bus  loads

The system is in place and running at the Friendship Bridge in Nong Khai; sometimes, without clear systematics and unclear to many. Nobody (except me) cleans those readers which are a disgust to everybody. 

I now take a long a refreshing towel each and every time which allows me to wipe the fingerprint reading panel which is full of smears of sticky rice, god-only-knows-what; the idea was a conclusion of  following a guy from the gents which he had left without washing hands. 

Some of these displays are broken already; in some cases you "only" scan 4 fingers of your right hand, sometimes additionally 4 fingers of your left hand and twice now both thumbs as well. This, of course, in addition to photographing with clear instructions of "no hat", "no glasses", "no face masks" and babies as young as a few months have to be lifted up to face the camera too ........ Baby terrorism springs to mind. 

As if Thailand would not have bigger fish to fry ........... 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Big Joke suspects shooting related to canceled biometric project

By THE NATION

800_da02f74104b1872.jpg?v=1578471904

Pol Lt-General Surachet Hakpal, the former nationally admired crime buster who’s now a special adviser at the Prime Minister’s Office, says the bullets fired at his car on Monday evening (January 6) were not part of a “setup” – just a calling card from one of his many enemies.

“This shooting was not a setup, as many have suspected,” he said on Wednesday after meeting investigators at Bangrak Police Station.

“As a former cop, I realise I have many enemies.”

ibjbe75bg99c9ga8aibge.jpg

Surachet was getting a rub at a massage parlour in Bangkok’s Silom area when someone on a motorcycle fired eight rounds into his unoccupied car parked outside.

Surachet’s personal suspicion is that, back when he was boss of the Immigration Police, he angered someone who wanted to sell the Royal Thai Police a biometric identification system.

“The project was delayed for more than 100 days, so I cancelled the contract to protect my department’s finances and the taxpayer’s money,” he said.

Surachet noted that Monday’s shooting took place right off a major road lined with CCTV cameras, and yet two days later, the police still have no idea where the gunman and his driver went.

“I am not assigning blame to anyone,” he said. “I just want the truth about who was behind this shooting.”

Related Story: Police investigate shooting of special adviser’s car

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380282

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-08

I'm really starting to believe that this shooting was organized by BIG JUKE himself so he could reappear in the media!

Big Joke meets shooting case investigators

By The Nation

800_30778021a0ec2cd.jpg?v=1578546483

Pol Lt-General Surachet Hakpal

Former Immigration Police chief Pol Lt-General Surachet Hakpal, who escaped an attempt on his life, met officers on Wednesday (January 8 ) in the evening at Bangrak Police Station to facilitate the investigation.

Surachet, who serves as a special adviser at the Prime Minister’s Office, believed that the suspects were involved in a scrapped biometric identification system project.

He also added that Bt900 million BMW intelligent patrol cars ended up only being used in leading motorcades “The maintenance cost of this car is too high and not an efficient way to spend people’s tax money,” Surachet commented. 

Police detectives will on Thursday (January 9) inspect the car which was fired at for clues.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380308

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-09

You posters should just be happy that you are not in this guys shoes.

I doubt that we will hear the real story for a while at least.

I guess it is an easy story to try be an expert at though....

Don't Worry Be happy//

Geezer

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, 30la said:

I'm really starting to believe that this shooting was organized by BIG JUKE himself so he could reappear in the media!

Well he just had a nice 15/20 minute interview on channel 33 news to remind his purported assassins what he looks like !!

Big Joke is back.........for a while at least !!

Wow, theirs that level of corruprion in Thailand. Easy to figure out who behind this shooting. Why havent the police already apprehended and found guilty the person responsible for the shooting like the police does with every other crime in Thailand?

20 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Indeed they are. Just as inseparable as politicians and hypocrisy.

If prostitution is the oldest profession, corrupt politics must be the second!

I've always seen politicians as a type of prostitute. ????

21 hours ago, Deerculler said:

Anyone with a knowledge of firearms would doubt that the shooting was an attempt to shoot anyone.

Yes, the target was the car. He wasn't even in the car when they shot at it was he.

If they wanted to get him then they could have followed him as he was driving and shot him when he stopped in traffic, the old fashioned way.

Maybe he has very thick windows on his car for this reason, who knows...

Edited by ukrules
  • Thanks 1

On 1/8/2020 at 9:58 AM, colinneil said:

What nonsense, saying maybe an attempt on his life, when he was in a knocking shop at the time of the shooting.

It was a warning to him, keep your mouth shut.

But there's no suggestion (apart from TV posters) that he was in a knocking shop.

Edited by Just Weird

If this is a warning to stop calling out corruption within the RTP - and it does look like it - I'm changing my opinion of Big Joke to one of admiration for standing up to the mafiosi within the organisation.

Yes, he went overboard as head of Immigration and having Pravit as a 'mentor' is not a good sign, but it is looking more like he was moved for his anti-corruption stance rather than being a part of it.

BTW a Lexus is not beyond a policeman of his stature in Thailand.

1 hour ago, Just Weird said:

But there's no suggestion (apart from TV posters) that he was in a knocking shop.

You spouted the same nonsense on the Bkk Post. There are plenty of reports saying he was having a massage in a well-known massage parlour at the time. Read them. 

4 hours ago, Mikeasq60 said:

Wow, theirs that level of corruprion in Thailand. Easy to figure out who behind this shooting. Why havent the police already apprehended and found guilty the person responsible for the shooting like the police does with every other crime in Thailand?

There is more than one possibility out there, this adds to the degree of difficulty and the fog of confusion.

On 1/8/2020 at 9:15 AM, webfact said:

nothing to do with a woman or conflict over business

So these are acceptable reasons for gun violence due to their high frequency of motive in Thailand? It's disappointing to see Thais becoming cowardly cowboys like the Americans. In the land of Muay Thai, it would be far more awesome to see people violently solve their disputes with head-severing kick, chin-shattering elbow uppercuts and head bashing right hooks. In Japan, police don't use guns so much because they undergo vigorous training in Martial Arts. Guns are for the weak. Anyone can SQUEEZE a trigger. What do you think is the best form of violent conflict resolution? Guns or Martial Arts?