Sa Kaeo: Brit, 71, living in Thailand killed while making U-Turn on motorcycle

webfact

Sa Kaeo: Brit, 71, living in Thailand killed while making U-Turn on motorcycle

3pm.jpg
Picture: 77kaoded

Thai media has reported that a 71 year old British man on a motorcycle died after a collision with a car at a U-turn in Sa Kaeo province on Monday. 

The man was named as David Denis (surname withheld) who lived nearby with his Thai family. 

Wang Nam Yen police and foundation rescue staff called to the scene on Route 317 (Sa Kaeo to Chanthaburi Road) found a Toyota Vios smashed into signage. 

Some way away was a white Honda motorcycle on its side. There were bloodstains on the road. 

77kaoded said that the victim was making a U-turn when he was clipped. 

CPR was given at the scene and the man was taken to hospital but died thereafter. 

An autopsy has been ordered and the British Embassy has been informed. 

An investigation is underway. The accident happened at the Wat Wang Daeng U-turn. 

A funeral is expected to be held locally. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-08
  • Sad 7

I generally do not go for the whole "RIP" thing ... but have to say, this made me quite sad for him and his family.  He was "living the dream" and clearly active in life.  Sorry to see this ... accidents happen ... and life goes on ... but taking a moment to say "Best of luck on the next go round Mate" .. yeah ... I am ok with that.

U-turns are very dangerous here. Usually just getting into the right lane on a small motorcycle can be difficult, then having to wait for an opening to be even able to u-turn can take ages. I've seen some people u-turn thinking the coast is clear then out of nowhere one of those black smoke pickup trucks doing 150+ smashes into them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jane Dough said:

I'd put more trust in an experienced 70 year old motorcyclist than an 18 year old. 

Rooster

Compare an 18 yo cyclist knowing and learned the rules with an old experienced but never got driving lessons nor knowing any rules???

Rediculous. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A U-turn is one of the most dangerous manoeuvres but I've seen farang do it without looking both ways

In any country, a U turn is dangerous... even in NZ, Police have been involved in serious road accidents doing U turns, avoid them at all cost, pull off and then join the road again so you can easily see both ways...

4 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Roundabouts are Safer IF people know how to Use them.

Agree Digger and your comment sits well with your signature! Sometimes people do try and STILL don't know!  ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

Possibly, but how do we know it wasn't the Brit's fault? He may have pulled across in front of the car to do the u-turn and got clipped on the right hand side.

Yes!   But making inane comments about things they know nothing about is how many spend their lonesome days.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jane Dough said:

I'd put more trust in an experienced 70 year old motorcyclist than an 18 year old. 

Rooster

At 18 I'd been riding for 7 years, joined Jim Aireys motorcycle club at 12. 

Thai roads are a different animal, the road rules are not the same, the Thai riders attitude are fearless, no regard for safety. 

You got to have your witts about you. As you get older decision making is a lot slower. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

A U-turn is one of the most dangerous manoeuvres but I've seen farang do it without looking both ways

And Thais do?

I too have seen "ting tong farangs" on motor bikes, but by far the biggest offenders (and OK there are more Thais on the road!) are the young teenagers on the souped up "bees on wheels" that drive recklessly at high speed without a thought for themselves or other road users - and often at night with no lights, so how can they be "looking both ways"?

• Thanks 1