Sa Kaeo: Brit, 71, living in Thailand killed while making U-Turn on motorcycle

webfact

20 minutes ago, VBF said:

I tend to agree except have you seen how most Thai drivers behave at roundabouts? I presume they're either not taught or just don't care but their already minimal lane discipline seems to completely vanish and they appear to either just keep going or stop and panic!

Give way to the right? Fat chance! ????

They don't seem to have a clue as to how to deal with a roundabout.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Roundabouts are Safer IF people know how to Use them.

Exactly, if. The problem is that most people, Thai and otherwise, are clueless. ????

Edited by GalaxyMan
  • Like 1

It's a Scooter !!! About the most dangerous sorts of motorcycle you can get ! ... They just DO NOT HANDEL ! ... but well they are popular I guess .... d/t their ease to drive ! ... Even if you are taking such a greater chance being on any sort of major road on them.

... And yes as said above ... U-turns must be about the most dangerous maneuver on any Thai roads, .... And well, probably any road, anywhere I think. .... It is the only maneuver, that I have ever come close to buying it in !!! ... and more than once by a long way !!!

RIP and 100% relay, on that David. ... 

Mark mark an old motorcyclist also, ... and I have ridden motor cycles for Oh ? about 45 Years now ... And am still riding ! .... But I DO avoid the highways. ... I have a car, and the side roads are very good around here, so I stick to them when on a motorcycle, like for doping the kids at school, ... 

But  ... out where Poor Old David lives, possibly the highways are more difficult to avoid. ? ...

It would be good for Old People to keep on riding Bikes I think ! ... But not on the Highways at all. Like Really High speed Traffic, ... Mixing with Very Low Speed Motorcycles, (And worse Scooters !) .... Not a good mix, particularly if the motor cycle is not driven by some one just 300% totally alert !!!

Like to be quite honest, how many 71 Year old Thais do you see riding motor cycles on the Highways ! ? ... Like doing u-turns, not just crawling along the as far to the Left side as you ca get ? ! ...  Probably about none really, I would say ? ... Well, not any around where I live any way.

• Thanks 1

Ps. Just looking at the back Wheel of the Bike ? if that is what I can see in the Photo ? ... It looks like he was clipped Pretty Bloody Hard ! ... And the car ending up banged up in road signs !!! ... That is a major accident I think, not just a clip ! ? ... 

... And when was it, if it was through daylight hours, then it really IS Bad Luck !!! ... If it was at night ? well I would have to say, that he just should not have been there. Unfortunately.

RIP David.

Buried / Burnt, ... where he wanted to be no doubt though at least.

10 minutes ago, Headgame said:

OK, I guess I have to speak up on behalf of all the very competent and experienced senior riders. I'm 75 and ride every day for about an hour and a half, around 6:15 am to 7:45am. That's a very safe time to enjoy a ride since I only ride for pleasure and not transportation. Sorry, why is that so wrong? What truth am I failing to accept? No doubt there are seniors who shouldn't be riding along with thousands of others from every age group who are inexperienced, reckless and intoxicated. Please leave me alone.

Ageism at its worst, one 70 year old senior does not mean all have the same skills, or lack thereof.

Good on you, as long as know you are safe and competent, willing to cease when you feel less competent.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

It's a Scooter !!! About the most dangerous sorts of motorcycle you can get ! ... They just DO NOT HANDEL ! ... but well they are popular I guess .... d/t their ease to drive ! ... Even if you are taking such a greater chance being on any sort of major road on them.

... And yes as said above ... U-turns must be about the most dangerous maneuver on any Thai roads, .... And well, probably any road, anywhere I think. .... It is the only maneuver, that I have ever come close to buying it in !!! ... and more than once by a long way !!!

Mark mark an old motorcyclist also, ... and I have ridden motor cycles for Oh ? about 45 Years now ... And am still riding ! .... But I DO avoid the highways. ... I have a car, and the side roads are very good around here, so I stick to them when on a motorcycle, like for doping the kids at school, ... 

But  ... out where Poor Old David lives, possibly the highways are more difficult to avoid. ? ...

It would be good for Old People to keep on riding Bikes I think ! ... But not on the Highways at all. Like Really High speed Traffic, ... Mixing with Very Low Speed Motorcycles, (And worse Scooters !) .... Not a good mix, particularly if the motor cycle is not driven by some one just 300% totally alert !!!

Like to be quite honest, how many 71 Year old Thais do you see riding motor cycles on the Highways ! ? ... Like doing u-turns, not just crawling along the as far to the Left side as you ca get ? ! ...  Probably about none really, I would say ? ... Well, not any around where I live any way.

"It is the only maneuver, that I have ever come close to buying it in !!! ... and more than once by a long way !!!"

So you didn't learn you lesson the first time?

P.S Are you taking a drag on your s****f every time you type "..."? Just asking! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

At 18 I'd been riding for 7 years, joined Jim Aireys motorcycle club at 12. 

Thai roads are a different animal, the road rules are not the same, the Thai riders attitude are fearless, no regard for safety. 

You got to have your witts about you. As you get older decision making is a lot slower. 

How do you know, are you old?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I rarely ride a motorbike in Thailand, I don't let my kids do it. My wife is the only one that prefers it to a car.

I've seen way too many deaths on the roads.

As for a 70 year old doing it, no comment. I was brought up not to speak ill of the dead, RIP.

2 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

I was hit on a U turn at night by a speeding motorbike going over 80kph(I was on my motorbike, I'm very lucky to be alive, I had a smashed shoulder and road rash down my left side including a hole in my ankle, he had no injuries! I never use U turns now.

I had to pay for his bike and him being off work, apparently as he was travelling straight it was my fault for u turning.

Apparently?

If you don't know the road rules, you shouldn't be driving to start with. You learn these things before they give you a license. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Geeze, these news bulletins are becoming a monthly thing

Elderly foreigner killed while making a U-Turn

I have some elderly friends that ride, it surprises me how competent they are on the roads at their age. 

Saying that Id say there are around 1 to 2 percent of the elderly that can do this, ride competently on Thai roads.

The rest of you elderly for the sake of your family and friends dont ride a motorbike on Thai roads, it a very selfish thing to do for all involved when your riding skills are lacking and a death happens. 

There are many people that suffer, family, friends and 3rd party involved in the accident.

You think walking is safer? 

Selfish? I'm sure they're sorry about dying in that way! 
How did you survey the entire farang population of Thailand and test their competency and arrive at 1 to 2 % are ok. Please explain the test method. Did you also apply the same test to the Thai people who ride?
Maybe there should be an age limit on living?

Safety First OMG!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Michael Hare said:

I agree about the elderly driving on motorbikes on Thai roads. My 72 year old friend even has difficulty walking and when he drives his motorbike he wobbles all over the place. Last year, a dog ran out between parked cars and he hit the dog and ended up on the concrete road with cuts and bruises. He was lucky. Next time maybe not.

A dog ran out and caused an accident, so your friend should stop riding. Maybe street dogs should be removed!

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

The issue is Thais are too polite. Using a roundabout they want to give way and let others in whilst in the roundabout. 

This style of driving can't work in roundabout, you only give way to traffic in the roundabout. 

Thais treat roundabouts like crossroads. And, before you just dismiss this, look up Thailand's 'intersection' right of way rules. They are not the same right of way rules that we understand in the UK etc.

I was hit on a U turn at night by a speeding motorbike going over 80kph(I was on my motorbike, I'm very lucky to be alive, I had a smashed shoulder and road rash down my left side including a hole in my ankle, he had no injuries! I never use U turns now.

I had to pay for his bike and him being off work, apparently as he was travelling straight it was my fault for u turning.

..nothing wrong with round abouts, u-turns or speeding bikes, you simply need to be cautious, SLOW, careful and experienced to negotiate them!

I only keep enough money here for living expenses, and this post is one of the reasons why, anyone wanting money off me for something that was their fault will have great difficulty getting any, and before anyone starts, the motorbike was traveling at over 80Kph.

I would wonder who made you pay for his bike and him being off work, surely not a court? Oh! wait, this is Thailand.

1 hour ago, Mark mark said:

Why do you thank a scooter is the most dangerous type of motorbike? Did one attack you?

• Like 1