Monk Accepts Offerings On Delivery App, Gives Blessing Via Video Call

Kan Win

• 4 weeks later...

Did Buddha say something like tomorrow hasn't come and yesterday has gone and only today is important?

Anyway monks have only one job, find the truth and share it.

Now if the internet, apps etc makes it more efficient to share the truth I am all for it.

I actually listen to MP3 talks by monks recorded from Youtube via the internet so you can imagine I am all for mod cons.

I am just waiting for VR so that I can have a front row seat to monks giving talks anywhere in the world all from the comfort of my arm chair.

????

2 hours ago, jamesc2000 said:

Did Buddha say something like tomorrow hasn't come and yesterday has gone and only today is important?

Anyway monks have only one job, find the truth and share it.

Now if the internet, apps etc makes it more efficient to share the truth I am all for it.

I actually listen to MP3 talks by monks recorded from Youtube via the internet so you can imagine I am all for mod cons.

I am just waiting for VR so that I can have a front row seat to monks giving talks anywhere in the world all from the comfort of my arm chair.

????

I agree with you James.  One of my favorite Youtube videos is with Ajahn Brahm from Australia.  He has some really great stories.  I have never found him boring.  And even learned some things.  Several years ago, he got disciplined by the head cheeses in Thailand for ordaining some female monks.  In case your forgot or didn't know, Ajahn Brahm was a disciple of Ajahn Chah.  One of the last before Chah died. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

I agree with you James.  One of my favorite Youtube videos is with Ajahn Brahm from Australia.  He has some really great stories.  I have never found him boring.  And even learned some things.  Several years ago, he got disciplined by the head cheeses in Thailand for ordaining some female monks.  In case your forgot or didn't know, Ajahn Brahm was a disciple of Ajahn Chah.  One of the last before Chah died. 

If there was an "I" then Ajahn Brahm would be "my" favourite too.

"I" listen to all his talks too. One of my favourites is when Ajahn Chah died and he had the honour of cleaning out his room.

As you know how famous and important Ajahn Chah is Ajahn Brahm was wondering what photos or momentos or treasured items he would keep in his room.

To his surprise Ajahn Chah kept nothing, not one photo, not one item.

Ajahn Chah must have always only lived in that moment. No attachment to any memory, person or item he came across in the past and nothing for the future.

The other thing that struck me was that if Ajahn Chah kept nothing then there must be nothing that is of value worth keeping to him for the future.

If there is nothing of value to him for keeping for the future then there is nothing worth being attached too is the lesson this story taught me.

Have it, use it, enjoy it. Lose it then just move on.

????

I guess no craving means no need for security and no sense of loss.

In one tread we talked about true Buddhism. Reminds me of some Buddhist head monk in Burma that said it was ok to kill Burma Muslim minorities.

He must be really insecure to want to kill anyone. Doesn't sound like real Buddhism to me.

As for who are the real teachers that one is easy too. Teachers that have no need for security and no sense of loss and no fear are true teachers.

Some Japanese cult group leader that used sarin gas in the underground told his members you have to die so that you can be saved when the end of the world comes.

Fear of not not being saved when the end of the world comes sounds like fear and insecurity to me. Really bad fear and insecurity.

Fear of not having something and fear of losing something sounds all like fear to me and any teacher that have any fear cannot be a true leader.   

If they don't have peace and serenity how can they teach other people to have it?

No worldly event can shake a true teacher's serenity, if they don't have a peace that nothing can disturb they are not true teachers.

• Like 1

I am very grateful to Buddha who found the path and shared it.

I am very grateful to Ajahn Brahm for sharing the path on the internet.

I am very grateful to Ajahn Chah for teaching Ajahn Brahm.

I am very grateful to Thai Visa for the Buddhism forum that I got to know about Ajahn Brahm.

I am very grateful to the TV member that posted about Ajahn Brahm. I think he posted he like the talks of another Ajahn better and couldn't stand the Ajahn Brahm Britishness way of speaking.

???? 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Head cheese or senior Buddhist monks mean nothing.

Could just mean they are ambitious.

Ajahn Brahm has a story of a monk that was promoted to be the head monk in Thailand and another ambitious monk made up a lie and the head monk was put in jail.

2 years later they found the new head monk did something wrong and that he lied about the other monk and released him from jail.

The head monk that was jailed for 2 years was not angry or bitter at all. He said it was the 2 best years of his life. 2 years in jail means no one disturbed him, asking him to do things or asking for advice on their problems. He could just meditate in peace. Pure bliss.

So senior monks may not be awaken but just ambitious or political.

If a head monk needs to discipline someone for promoting women he needs more enlightening. 

Needing to discipline someone for doing something great sounds like no peace and serenity to me.

????

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, nausea said:

You walk alone, if you need the applause of the crowd you haven't really got there. Personally, I think it's all BS. Not many monks or priests doing much in Khmer Rouge Cambodia or Nazi Germany.

I heard this story of monks eating and a lady ran into their dining room screaming another girl is trying to kill herself.

They looked up and then continued eating.

Now one way of thinking is surely human life is more important than food right?

For many years this phrase got stuck inside my mind. The important thing in life is when you are hungry eat and when you are sleepy sleep. Let nothing disturb your food or sleep.

I don't know how this phrase got inside my head and got stuck there.

So another way to look at this is the monks carrying on eating is the right thing to do.

Monks and priests not stopping what happened in Cambodia or Germany is exactly the correct thing to do is another point of view.

Because that phrase is stuck in my mind, I would be of the view that the monks and priests did the right thing.

Now we are all always changing, we change, our views change, our taste change, our likes and dislike change.

So today a person may view this as come on human life, genocide is more important than food or action must be taken to stop it. 

Tomorrow or maybe a few lifetimes it maybe that view changes.

What is permanent and never change?

????

Even my hair is turning white. Change is the only constant.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

Ajahn Chah had a lot of great stories that lead to the teachings of the Buddha.  Ajahn Brahm seemed to accept and understand them and is carrying on his legacy.  I truly admire him for that.  

Monks have only 2 jobs.

Find the truth and share it.

That's the deal.

People give food to monks, monks must share the truth with them.

????