Plastic Bags in Thailand

thasoss

It’s a start, but a real long way to go before the government are to be congratulated. 

Attitudes are changing, but it’s still at its novelty stage, there is still needless amounts of excess packaging, be it plastic or card that still uses energy to produce and dispose of. As mentioned before they are at least a decade behind the rest of the world in terms of waste limitation and management but It seems like a few posters here are living in the last century “but I will have to buy bin bags ..” 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jaxxper said:

You can always tell them you don’t need a bag !!!

The poster may have done that, it’s not so much the act, it’s the mentality behind it. 

Returning a bag in Thailand often results in that bag being thrown in the bin, rather than given to the next customer. Then you are back to square one. 

35 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

s for changing all the plastic bottles to glass....that is just going to result in more broken glass on the streets / beaches etc etc.....

yes true,education and disposal bins everywhere could help and glass is easily recyclable.The biggest problem most people just dont seem to care,if you live in an isaan village you'll see litter everywhere in some people's land and around the house,no pride in keeping things clean.Not every house i might add.But still you'd think villages with a small population everywhere would be clean and tidy...but it's not so.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, BobBKK said:

But still wrap 2 bananas in plastic.

Yes indeed, and also millions of single use plastic bags still being issued throughout the country to carry food, drinks and other products from local shops and markets, also from street vendors. The number of plastic carrier bags now banned is only the very small tip of an iceberg!

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

I was initially thinking the same

but at my recent visit in the garbage bags department

in big C i saw that ecofriendly biodegradable garbage bags are available 

Not really ecofriendly. The purpose of banning plastic shopping bags was to prevent them getting into the rivers and seas. Biodegradable bags take up to 6 months to biodegrade and only under the right conditions. However it gives off the CO2 greenhouse gas that is locked into the plastic! If a biodegradable bag goes into the sea during floods they will still float around for years before being possibly swallowed by marine life. Thailand is installing waste to energy plants that will incinerate plastic bags and use them as fuel under environmently friendly conditions.

On the first day at Tesco Lotus Seacon Square there were no plastic bags and chaos. The next day there were no plastic bags and people had stolen all the green hand baskets used when you do your shopping!. Now you can buy a plastic shopping bag from Tesco for 1 Baht or a longer life recycled plastic bag for 3 Baht. I seperate all my waste using the plastic shopping bags into wet waste for composting, Plastic Waste for recycle, paper waste for recycle, metal waste and hazardous waste. Most of my 300 or so neighbours were doing the same. Now all the recyclable materials are tipped unseparated into an smelly mess because the wet waste is mixed in.

22 hours ago, thasoss said:

Would like to congratulate the thai government on banning plastic bags,it'll take a while for people to get used to the idea but it can work.

Go slowly with the congratulations, I'm afraid that the government will step back very soon under the pressure of the shops!
For the other topics I agree!
Unfortunately the big companies start packing biscuits, candies and other things one by one in plastic.
On the one hand you stop on the other you increase, it seems that someone very high has a great interest in the use of plastic.
Look at the attached photo, I bought it from Makro ...

IMG_1824.JPG.bbff76ba49b8dae1157d6b9490b14b31.jpg

• Sad 1