Plastic Bags in Thailand

thasoss

On 1/9/2020 at 2:56 PM, chatette said:

No longer handing out plastic bags at the check out is a good first step but converting all packaging back to cardboard would be a very bad step for forests!

Forget about cardboard boxes,no one wants them. They're not very practical. 

Someone said use hessian sacks and paper bags for sugar. The ants will love them!

The plastic bag ban is as much about raising people's awareness about plastic waste as cutting down on litter. I very much doubt that a complete ban on plastic bags will come in at the end of the year - just not practical. You need them for raw meat, fish and wet products. Hopefully suitable replacements will come into use, but will take time. I agree the ban was mismanaged - to little thought about alternatives, and no attempt to 'wean' people on to them. 

i bought a bunch of goodies at 7-11 tonight and asked for a bag. i had to buy a reusable canvas one from them.

its a good idea for midnight runs where i just go from home to shop, but i have to say i wint be buying a canvas bag each time during tge daily course of business.

my purchases will be limited to a few items only that i can pocket or hold in one hand.

off topic  but i also could not buy a beer tonight there after midnight which sucks. thailand is picking up a lot of the political correctness type stuff we have in the usa so much of.

For like thousands of years they used something called Hemp, once people even paid tax with it in the USA. 
Somehow that was not interesting for big businesses to make money and so we are stuck with paper and plastic now.
TH could create a good business for farmers by starting to produce hemp and make products out of it (ten thousands of them). 

Anyway, plastic bags are not the problem if you ask me. It is more that people buy small meals and snacks, all in plastic, that creates a lot of waste.
But with very small salaries, people tend to purchase small too, causing more waste.
If buying larger quantities in Makro it is better already, aside with shopping in fresh markets.

It is funny people worry about the plastic bags, that are often used multiple times and instead of a super large garbage bag of plastic. 
Having said that, I still get plastic bags from my local 7/11 without any issues.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

On 1/15/2020 at 3:52 PM, Ms Tigger said:

I wonder what the street food vendors will use when the ban is total? Styrofoam containers that don't seal and spill all over, and produce more litter and waste?

And they are a serious danger to health too, that is why they use a plastic sheet inside the styrofoam. Both of this could be produced from Hemp too. 
Best part is that any hemp product can be buried underground and will be gone in 30-60 days.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

For like thousands of years they used something called Hemp, once people even paid tax with it in the USA. 
Somehow that was not interesting for big businesses to make money and so we are stuck with paper and plastic now.
TH could create a good business for farmers by starting to produce hemp and make products out of it (ten thousands of them). 

Yes

you can even use it to built houses

I just wonder if the termites can eat it or not?

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Yes

you can even use it to built houses

There is almost nothing you can not use it for. It is just so silly how mainstream makes it a hype aside of being hypocrites over suddenly not using small plastic bags from 7/11 anymore, thinking they solve any problem, which is nonsense. Also the lack of checking history and facing reality (big businesses not offering solutions on purpose but assisting on this as they save like 300M baht a year on the bags + to make the complainers silent for X years again). 

If you ask the most fanatic activists, they are often unaware of the Hemp things hehe.

Also, if you see how they deal with their trash (everything is being trashed together, even batteries and chemicals), without caring. 
But look at my instagram picture, I did shopping with something other than a plastic bag.

No, I do not have faith in my generation neither the 10-20 year old ones. Ignorance is a bliss.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

I wonder what the street food vendors will use when the ban is total? Styrofoam containers that don't seal and spill all over, and produce more litter and waste?

It's a problem cos they need their little bags to portion out and i cant see people bringing their own containers anyway.Polystyrene containers need to be banned too,aand then that takes us to packaging of electrical goods that use polystyrene to safely package the products.Never ending really.

5 hours ago, thasoss said:

It's a problem cos they need their little bags to portion out and i cant see people bringing their own containers anyway.Polystyrene containers need to be banned too,aand then that takes us to packaging of electrical goods that use polystyrene to safely package the products.Never ending really.

Some restaurants use now special cardboard containers for the take away

like this one in Pattaya (Near Big C extra Pattaya klang) plus here the food

are very good and pretty cheap. The only ''bad'' thing it's they close at 9 pm

so if you want eat here in the evening, you need to go early (Before 8\8.30 pm)

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g1226133-d8755554-Reviews-Seally_Kitchen-Bang_Lamung_Chonburi_Province.html

may be better off instructing staff to use plastic when needed, rather then just banning.

if you just ban profits may go down if customers get frustrated who cant carry stuff. then the tide shifts the other way and employees start handing out bags for every little thing because they fear management who does not want any complaints.

root of the problem once again is low education and/or untrained staff. under that its rushing and focusing on profits rather then service/staff development.

• 1 month later...

Great to see my local 7-11 observing the plastic bag ban - They no longer use branded 7-11 bags.

I don't particularly care, but whilst other retailers have stood firm and provided paper bags, cardboard boxes or sold reusable - 7-11 use brown plastic bags for some items, kinda missing the point slightly.

On 2/25/2020 at 5:10 PM, recom273 said:

Great to see my local 7-11 observing the plastic bag ban - They no longer use branded 7-11 bags.

I don't particularly care, but whilst other retailers have stood firm and provided paper bags, cardboard boxes or sold reusable - 7-11 use brown plastic bags for some items, kinda missing the point slightly.

What I do if a store does not give me a bag I just throw a fit and many times this seems to help them find the hidden plastic bags....

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

17 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

What I do if a store does not give me a bag I just throw a fit and many times this seems to help them find the hidden plastic bags....

Nice one, and you do this every day, right? What a class act you are.

We have a stationary supplies store which was the first to introduce “No plastic bags” about 2 months before the big stores announced, I didn’t believe we would ever see anything like a plastic bag free Thailand. I didn’t throw a fit, but I did ask the girl how she expected me to carry these rolls of tape and bits, they just smiled and said sorry, no plastic bags. 

I just look under the seat of the bike where we keep a couple of cloth bags, saves a lot of grief. 

18 hours ago, fforest1 said:

There was a time, not that long ago, when there were no plastic bags, we actually used our initiative to carry stuff home......Usually a bag, or a basket, a wheel barrow, a donkey, a horse and trap.

Seems today, folk with an iPhone stuck to their hand, would have a ploblem with anifink unless a cashier put a plastic bag in their free hand.......????

2 minutes ago, transam said:

There was a time, not that long ago, when there were no plastic bags, we actually used our initiative to carry stuff home......Usually a bag, or a basket, a wheel barrow, a donkey, a horse and trap.

Seems today, folk with an iPhone stuck to their hand, would have a ploblem with anifink unless a cashier put a plastic bag in their free hand.......????

How often did you use your Donkey ?

Any practical ideas for storing my homemade bread loaves?  Have always used Lotus, Big C or Tops single use grocery bags. Not really into using an ass for bread storage.

Edited by albertik

22 hours ago, fforest1 said:

Just read that back to yourself and think how it sounds.    Pathetic?  Childish?  Petty?  Spoilt?    I think I would go for all of those, plus "Ridiculous".    

On a separate note it seems 7-Eleven have regressed.  On my last few visits they have automatically started to put things in to a plastic bag until I tell them not to.  The Thais adapted really quickly and everyone would have their own bags with them.  Since 7-Eleven stared dishing out plastic bags again I notice that most people are no longer carrying their own bags in to the shop.  Pretty shameful and should be publicised - all of the other major retailers have stuck with it and people have adapted to it quickly, easily, and with a minimum of fuss.  (Apart from fforest who is still throwing his toys out the pram).

A lot of them have already replaced styrofoam containers with recycled paper/cardboard ones.  Shame shape as styrofoam, same closing mechanism, works just fine.  Of course that then gets put into a plastic bag but one step at a time.

On 2/29/2020 at 5:30 PM, fforest1 said:

You would get applause from most of the other customers who realize this whole "no bags" scam is just a ploy by stores to increase their profits and has nothing at all to do with the environment. Most in line behind you would copy you, or at least wish they had the courage to do so. This "it's about the environment" spin is just a cover story that is used to convince weak minds this isn't all about corporate greed.

There are many ways to solve the plastic problem without "no bags", but all other solutions would cost the store money. Naturally, they are only willing to accept the option that increases their profits by inconveniencing their customers. The world has seen enough wealth going to the 1% at the expense of the poor. Only by throwing a tantrum can we force these large retail chains to adopt a policy that puts the pressure on the wealthy to fix the issues with plastic pollution.

Good for you.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1