Video: Pick-up driver blocks ambulance - inside was injured foreigner after motorcycle smash

webfact

Video: Pick-up driver blocks ambulance - inside was injured foreigner after motorcycle smash

10pm.jpg

Thai caption: Blocking an emergency vehicle

Picture: 77kaoded

A rescue foundation worker had some choice words for a pick-up driver who was caught on video refusing to get out of the way of his ambulance. 

He had his siren going and was flashing his lights but the oblivious driver was staying in the right lane. 

The poster said that he tried and failed to undertake and asked why he did not move over. 

Later Thanaphon, 35, said he was on his way to Bangkok Pattaya hospital. 

He had with him a foreigner who had suffered a serious forehead injury after coming off his motorcycle after a collision with a dog. 

Thanaphon implored the public to get out of the way of emergency vehicles. 

The post asked the public to share the story - the pick-up involved was a Nissan with the plate 7727. 

Source: 77kaoded

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-08

• Sad 5

I have been driving here for a long time, in years gone by there were the sum total of Zero "ambulances" on the road, there were always "body snatchers" rushing to the scene of an accident though!

Now there are a lot of private "ambulances" on the road, are they rushing people to the hospital or are they on a "body snatching" run?

Are we also supposed to give way to the pick up body snatcher "ambulances"?

"Government" needs to clarify  ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Some years back, in Indiana, someone died in an ambulance because a driver in a BMW refused to yield.  Within 30 days a new law was unanimously by the Indiana lawmakers. 

ALL emergency vehicles to be equipped dash cams. 

Failure to yield would have cops at your door within 24 hours. 

AUTOMATIC arrest. NO bail option. 

Car impounded for 30 days. 

AUTOMATIC 30 day jail sentence. 

ONE YEAR loss of license 

$5,000 fine. 

If the person in the emergency vehicle died due to your actions:

PERMANENT loss of license.

$10,000 fine

Face charge of "Manslaughter", with up to 5 years in prison. 

They ran this on the news every day for a week. 

Now, when people hear a siren, they get the hell out of the way!

Oh right, well drag him out of hospital, fly him to Indiana, throw him off another motorbike and he'll be OK then.

• Confused 5
  • Haha 1

The Thai roads seem worse than ever with selfish drivers and especially slow drivers who are on their mobiles or just in their own world. I doubt any Thai really knows the laws. It's a free for all every day with more and more cars.

Bangkok has always had a reputation for traffic jams but it hasn't always had lots of cars. Thailand's traffic jams are from rampant idiocy, not quantity of cars. That's a fact!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CharlieH said:

I am not excusing the actions of the pick-up driver, but the whole system is floored.

There is no "universal" marking or signage or siren etc for ambulance vehicles. There are so many types from van to pick-up, to pick-up with cover over and so on. They allow any type of vehicle to put pretty lights and have a siren and stickers they can afford.

They allow people to dress in dirty cover-alls with sewn on patches to "body snatch" and in some cities they have pristine well marked vans and well presented vehicles and staff.(private hospitals usually)

Typical Thailand where there is NO consistency and the law enforcement is too weak. If you have one of these behind you there is no real way to know if someone is rushing for the toilet or actually an ambulance in an emergency, based on what I have seen.

Personally I get out of the way from habit and years of UK driving, but here, it could be anything with flashing lights and a siren.

I agree entirely with your posting.

I once took a minivan from Pattaya to Bangkok and he drove like crazy. Every time he came up behind a car he flicked a switch and a red and blue light carefully placed on his dashboard with start flashing. The cars then moved out of his way.

I have also noticed several motor cycles using flashing red and blue lights. Someone told me that were guys from the insurance company trying to get to an accident.

I was also going to introduce a new topic about cars with red headlights (yes, I have seen that), but I'll save that for another day.

• Like 1

same disgusting stuff happens in australia every day. huge fines are need laid down in my home country from camera evidence in ambulances ... here God knows what will shift this sort of attitude, maybe a 10 - 20K fine also imposed from the camera evidence. Public campaign to announce it too! Then there's the issues of actually collecting isn't there if such legislative measures were enacted into law. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

Some years back, in Indiana, someone died in an ambulance because a driver in a BMW refused to yield.  Within 30 days a new law was unanimously by the Indiana lawmakers. 

ALL emergency vehicles to be equipped dash cams. 

Failure to yield would have cops at your door within 24 hours. 

AUTOMATIC arrest. NO bail option. 

Car impounded for 30 days. 

AUTOMATIC 30 day jail sentence. 

ONE YEAR loss of license 

$5,000 fine. 

If the person in the emergency vehicle died due to your actions:

PERMANENT loss of license.

$10,000 fine

Face charge of "Manslaughter", with up to 5 years in prison. 

They ran this on the news every day for a week. 

Now, when people hear a siren, they get the hell out of the way!

Assuming that the emergency vehicle is actually going to or coming from an emergency. 

The saying crying wolf comes to mind. 

They have the lights and sirens so they switch them on regardless. 

When was the last time anyone saw an ambulance simply driving along going to lunch or between hospitals or...

Whilst I agree that you should always give way to emergency vehicles, drivers of emergency vehicles should be taken to task when using their sirens/lights for their own benefit. i.e. just to get through heavy traffic on the way home!

The other dangerous and life threatening habit of Thai drivers is using the 'hard shoulder' on highways which prevents emergency vehicles from getting to an incident.  That is the whole point of a 'hard shoulder'.

Even with huge 'No Entry' signs painted on the 'hard shoulder' along with diagonal hash lines, drivers will still ignore them.

1 hour ago, JAG said:

My point is that, certainly their equipment and training is variable, but in many areas they are all there is, and rural Thailand would be much worse off without them! So perhaps when you see them with flashing lights and sirens get out of the way? If they are on their way to a patient or hospital it is the right thing to do, if not and you won't know will you - well it doesn't really matter!

All good points, I will reassess my opinion of them ????

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1