Video: Pick-up driver blocks ambulance - inside was injured foreigner after motorcycle smash

webfact

In some countries drivers even take to the sidewalk to get out of the way for an ambulance. Stringent penalties are in place for those who don't. Remember, one day it could be YOU in the back of the ambulance.... but I guess that would not even enter the minds of the ignorant selfish bonehead Thais.

In some countries Police will use their night stick to put some nice dents in your car if you break the law. It makes an incredible noise when they whack the roof of your car. The Thais love their cars and would soon learn to behave if Thai Police did the same. Not much chance of such progress here though.....

16 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry, but I don't understand why that was such a big deal. The ambulance was always going to get blocked in at every intersection, regardless of how fast they got from one to another. There is just too much traffic on the roads for cars to get out of the way.

Yes, the pickup driver was an ignorant idiot, but I doubt he delayed getting to the hospital by much.

What chance an ambulance speeding in rush hour traffic in any Thai city?

Of course there are traffic snarls not immediately passable.  As an ex emergency response officer and seeing what goes on in Thai traffic, there are opportunities for vehicles to yield and allow the officers to creep through.

In this case there obviously was.  A critically injured patient who could have been dead on arrival.  Seconds can be the difference between life and death. 

Too many egocentric selfish drivers who seem to enjoy blocking emergency service vehicles.  Different story if they are on a gurney losing blood, swelling on the brain, cardiac arrest, stroke, etc etc.  Hope karma is true.  

All ambulance should have dashcam to record offending drivers who canter be charged with failing to yield as well as potential manslaughter charges if the patient ends up deceased arising out of delays caused by him/her.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Traubert said:

Oh right, well drag him out of hospital, fly him to Indiana, throw him off another motorbike and he'll be OK then.

You must be having a bad day! Or maybe you mixed up your meds and are confused.

Poster @Just1Voice, as I and I'm sure many others read his response, was obviously just demonstrating how a certain USA state viewed the severity of not yielding to an ambulance.  The Indiana legislation could be a good western-world policy for Thailand too adopt.

But your interpretation was quite different. He was not suggesting "drag him out of hospital ....."

Perhaps you as a driver feel like the pickup driver, no need to yield to the ambulance.

I know of at least one poster on TVF who is alive today, who maybe would not be had a pickup or other vehicles blocked the ambulance taking him to the hospital.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

coming off his motorcycle after a collision with a dog. 

What happened to the dog?  Did it have an owner?  I was at Quiz last night; a dog which has bitten/attacked three people to my knowledge was at it again last night.  The owner has already been fined the amount of medical expenses for one of the offences.

The fine was obviously too low or Thais/dog-owners are slow learners.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, riclag said:

It sickens me to see this happen! That PU driver should of pulled over to the left side immediately ,the ambulance  was behind him for well over 30 seconds. The ambulance service needs to initiate complaints by taking down the license numbers, report them to  transportation instead of the police, to take action!

The authorities have used deterrents such as driving while intoxicated,with stiff penalties! This should be the same. 

fit all emergency vehicles with dash cam.....then evidence is available.......

On 1/7/2020 at 10:21 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Sorry, but I don't understand why that was such a big deal. The ambulance was always going to get blocked in at every intersection, regardless of how fast they got from one to another. There is just too much traffic on the roads for cars to get out of the way.

Yes, the pickup driver was an ignorant idiot, but I doubt he delayed getting to the hospital by much.

What chance an ambulance speeding in rush hour traffic in any Thai city?

I can see you have never been seriously injured, or never had a medical emergency, and needed to get to the hospital asap...   And I hope you never do.  

On 1/8/2020 at 1:46 PM, riclag said:

It sickens me to see this happen! That PU driver should of pulled over to the left side immediately ,the ambulance  was behind him for well over 30 seconds. The ambulance service needs to initiate complaints by taking down the license numbers, report them to  transportation instead of the police, to take action!

The authorities have used deterrents such as driving while intoxicated,with stiff penalties! This should be the same. 

ALL emergency vehicles should be fitted with dashcams then there is evidence .....can be used in a court case !!!

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 2:11 PM, CharlieH said:

I am not excusing the actions of the pick-up driver, but the whole system is floored.

There is no "universal" marking or signage or siren etc for ambulance vehicles. There are so many types from van to pick-up, to pick-up with cover over and so on. They allow any type of vehicle to put pretty lights and have a siren and stickers they can afford.

They allow people to dress in dirty cover-alls with sewn on patches to "body snatch" and in some cities they have pristine well marked vans and well presented vehicles and staff.(private hospitals usually)

Typical Thailand where there is NO consistency and the law enforcement is too weak. If you have one of these behind you there is no real way to know if someone is rushing for the toilet or actually an ambulance in an emergency, based on what I have seen.

Personally I get out of the way from habit and years of UK driving, but here, it could be anything with flashing lights and a siren.

most ambulances have AMBULANCE painted on the front of it REVERSED so that any driver can, thru his mirrors READ AMBULANCE !!!

• Confused 1

45 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

What do you think, eh?  Perhaps you'd like to interview the rescue workers before you decide whether they justify being let through?

Clever comment! your point is what? ???? 

Do you have an opinion or just proof reading the forum so you can come out with smart remarks - as usual?

Edited by CGW

On 1/8/2020 at 2:11 PM, CharlieH said:

I am not excusing the actions of the pick-up driver, but the whole system is floored.

There is no "universal" marking or signage or siren etc for ambulance vehicles. There are so many types from van to pick-up, to pick-up with cover over and so on. They allow any type of vehicle to put pretty lights and have a siren and stickers they can afford.

They allow people to dress in dirty cover-alls with sewn on patches to "body snatch" and in some cities they have pristine well marked vans and well presented vehicles and staff.(private hospitals usually)

Typical Thailand where there is NO consistency and the law enforcement is too weak. If you have one of these behind you there is no real way to know if someone is rushing for the toilet or actually an ambulance in an emergency, based on what I have seen.

Personally I get out of the way from habit and years of UK driving, but here, it could be anything with flashing lights and a siren.

agree with last paragraph.....we are taught correctly as to what to do in this kinda situation.

NOT only ambulances but all emergency vehicles....

On 1/8/2020 at 1:40 PM, 4MyEgo said:

and my "black" car/4 wheel drive/ute, black being a symbol of power/status in the eyes of Thai's,

Really?

I will visit the car paint shop this week. Paint it black. Get more power!

The bad driver was in a dark green pickup. Not black.

He have no power/status?

The ambulance was black. Here the photo of rescue guy and his black pickup.

On 1/8/2020 at 1:40 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Cops should fine him heavily and make it public, over and over and over again, until the public get the message,

Yes.

And the rescue/ambulance team can call the media. Same what happen.

005D8A13-A4CB-414C-B496-35B987D55D8B.jpeg

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Really?

I will visit the car paint shop this week. Paint it black. Get more power!

The bad driver was in a dark green pickup. Not black.

He have no power/status?

The ambulance was black. Here the photo of rescue guy and his black pickup.

Yes.

And the rescue/ambulance team can call the media. Same what happen.

005D8A13-A4CB-414C-B496-35B987D55D8B.jpeg

Yinn, maybe you misunderstood my point, the black car being the pick up driver who wasn't moving out of the way, because he has a black car, symbol of power for Thai's, why else do Thai's have black cars in a HOT country when white/silver makes more sense as those colours deflect the sun's rays ?

Tell the body shop to do you in white, it goes with everything, besides other drivers can see you day and night as opposed to black cars, especially if their lights are off...lol

I think it's a good idea that the ambulance guy contacted the media, shame the driver, what have the cops done, anything, bet you they didn't, too busy sleeping ?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yinn, maybe you misunderstood my point, the black car being the pick up driver

No, it was dark green. The rescue guy report that (thai link) 

who wasn't moving out of the way, because he has a black car, symbol of power for Thai's, why else do Thai's have black cars in a HOT country when white/silver makes more sense as those colours deflect the sun's rays ?

Maybe like the color? 

Tell the body shop to do you in white, it goes with everything, besides other drivers can see you day and night as opposed to black cars, especially if their lights are off...lol

Maybe gold rap! More power! 

I think it's a good idea that the ambulance guy contacted the media, shame the driver, what have the cops done, anything, bet you they didn't, too busy sleeping ?

I google already but find no report.

I wish the foreigner and the dog get well soon.

903FAA06-E566-475F-8C3F-9E6936DB063E.jpeg

It happens almost every day on my way to school.

I drive by the hospital and there're always many people who want to cross the zebra crossing. So, I always stop and let them go.

But always other motorbikes and even cars try to take over and almost kill the partly handicapped patients who want to cross to see the doctor.

I can't get anymore of this selfish attitude. It's as weird as the educational system. It doesn't work. 

This pick up driver ( in reality 90 % of all drivers) should get the right lesson, perhaps one year without driving any vehicle and a hefty fine.

That would do the trick. 

Edited by Isaanbiker

18 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Oh, ok, looked black at night in the video, no can understand Thai, only nit noi and B B ????

18 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Much cheaper alternative, a personalised number plate, like my post name "4MyEgo" on a pink Rolls Royce ????

Image result for pink rolls royce"

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yinn, maybe you misunderstood my point, the black car being the pick up driver who wasn't moving out of the way, because he has a black car, symbol of power for Thai's, why else do Thai's have black cars in a HOT country when white/silver makes more sense as those colours deflect the sun's rays ?

Here's some proof. 

It's common knowledge that dark colors absorb heat (especially that from the sun's rays) while light colors reflect it. So in 2008 and 2009, the state of California considered banning the sale of new black cars, not out of concern for California residents' on-the-go comfort, but because of the unfavorable environmental effects. It sounded like a bunch of hippie nonsense (and it even got some conservatives, such as Rush Limbaugh, all worked up), but the science behind the idea is sound. A 2011 study by the Berkeley Lab Environmental Energy Technologies Division discovered that white, silver, and other light paint colors do improve a car's efficiency. The study, which pitted a silver Honda Civic against a black one, found that light colored cars reflect about 60 percent of sunlight compared to dark colored cars. This translates to a 2 percent decrease in fuel economy (due to increased air conditioner use), a 1.9 percent increase in carbon dioxide emissions, and a 1 percent increase in other harmful emissions for a black car [source: Owano].

Source: https://auto.howstuffworks.com/under-the-hood/auto-manufacturing/do-black-cars-get-hotter-in-the-summer.htm

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Maybe like the color? 

I google already but find no report.

I wish the foreigner and the dog get well soon.

903FAA06-E566-475F-8C3F-9E6936DB063E.jpeg

Yinn, here's a car that would suit your social status well.

I've seen some of them parked at the Yacht port in Marbella /Spain. Pure gold, the "Flying Emily" has a motor that lets it disappear when you touch it. 

If you make it to Sisaket, you'll have your own chauffeur. 

Have a great Sunday. 

fully gold Roll Royce.jpg

Golden Rolls.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Yinn, here's a car that would suit your social status well.

I've seen some of them parked at the Yacht port in Marbella /Spain. Pure gold, the "Flying Emily" has a motor that lets it disappear when you touch it. 

If you make it to Sisaket, you'll have your own chauffeur. 

Have a great Sunday. 

fully gold Roll Royce.jpg

Golden Rolls.jpg

Can I put my post name on it ?