Observations as a Tourist (Dec 2019)

alt

1 hour ago, alt said:

150THB for a Massaman Curry

Yeah, not dirt cheap, but similar to USD < 30baht/1 USD, the cost is still about $5 which is considerably cheaper than I would pay in the USA for a massaman dish.  Compared with ~ 44 baht /1 USD I first got back in 2004 on my first visit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Yeah, not dirt cheap, but similar to USD < 30baht/1 USD, the cost is still about $5 which is considerably cheaper than I would pay in the USA for a massaman dish.  Compared with ~ 44 baht /1 USD I first got back in 2004 on my first visit. 

I totally appreciate that it's still cheaper than the West. I wasn't b1tching, just posting my experiences. 

The killer is the exchange rate, not the THB price itself, so i'm not blaming the locals! But it was great when we did find 50THB dishes! We were on holiday and didn't much of the prices, again, just posting my experiences. I visited my friends, living in the Klong Toei slums (I'm slightly involved with a charity based there) and they told me how the market prices for raw materials has also shot up, hence the vendors need to charge more.

I can see, though, how Thailand may not be the backpackers dream it once was. Not an issue for us, we work the rest of the year and blow some money when on holidays... you'd do it anywhere. But good luck to the budget backpacker! (Which we once were)

• Thanks 1

150 for curry dish, plus rice plus water: over 200 baht. That's $10 Canuck.

back home, I pay $12, rice included, water is always free.

quality ingredients, quality restaurant.

size of the dish is easy double, I take half home, because of the quantity. Do the math. Just saying. I've noticed the size of the portions have really got smaller over the last few years.

prices have gone up minimum 25 -40 percent, my dollar has gone down 28 percent .

i don't blame the Thai restaurants, they are feeling the pinch on the cost  of ingredients. Tough times!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

my dollar has gone down 28 percent

I don't meant to be argumentative just a small point, 

I think the above might be a bit exaggerated, I have being coming to Thailand for over  13 years and for the most part fot the past 10 years, except for a short time between 2015 and 2016 where it hit 36   bht it has being bouncing between 33 bht and 29 bht those are 10% at their extremes. The most extreme move from its highest of 34.6 sept 14 2014 to the lowest is about 15% . 

Is my math correct or am I missing something?

PS: July 4 2005 for a brief time it hit 41 bht in case you are using that as your standard. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1

Late Nov to mid Dec 2019 I was in: Sukhumvit, Samui (Chaweng), Ao Nang and Patong. All those places were as busy as usual for me, apart from Ao Nang which was perhaps a bit quieter than usual at night.

Perhaps as you say it was the post NYE lull when you travelled. 

And I think Ao Nang generally has more people from the Indian subcontinent both living and visiting there than other parts of Thailand? 

On 1/8/2020 at 7:08 PM, sirineou said:

I think the above might be a bit exaggerated, I have being coming to Thailand for over  13 years and for the most part fot the past 10 years, except for a short time between 2015 and 2016 where it hit 36   bht it has being bouncing between 33 bht and 29 bht those are 10% at their extremes. The most extreme move from its highest of 34.6 sept 14 2014 to the lowest is about 15% . 

PS: July 4 2005 for a brief time it hit 41 bht in case you are using that as your standard. 

Hi 

I am fairly sure the poster Ron Jeremy is referring to CAD/THB rate rather than USD/THB .

He did mention $ Canuck in his post.

Therefore a different FX rate, CAD/THB appears to be around 23 baht to  his stated currency currently.

Maybe that the reason for slight confusion ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2020 at 2:54 AM, alt said:

I totally appreciate that it's still cheaper than the West. I wasn't b1tching, just posting my experiences. 

The killer is the exchange rate, not the THB price itself, so i'm not blaming the locals! But it was great when we did find 50THB dishes! We were on holiday and didn't much of the prices, again, just posting my experiences. I visited my friends, living in the Klong Toei slums (I'm slightly involved with a charity based there) and they told me how the market prices for raw materials has also shot up, hence the vendors need to charge more.

I can see, though, how Thailand may not be the backpackers dream it once was. Not an issue for us, we work the rest of the year and blow some money when on holidays... you'd do it anywhere. But good luck to the budget backpacker! (Which we once were)

I too was once a backpack in Thailand. Ironically, now that I live in Asia, I do my backpacking through Europe. With Airbnb and bus travel, Europe can be a relatively cheap holiday destination.

I spent December in Thailand , Bangkok , Pattaya , Hua Hin and Phuket ( Karon ) and would concur with the OP.

Both my personal observations and chatting with local trades people suggest that business is extremely sluggish.

Since the New Year I have been in Southern Laos ( Pakse and the Boleven ) and it is striking how much cheaper day to day items are compared with Thailand.

This is confirmed by 2 Thai travelling companions who on a daily basis have been converting local prices into baht with a certain degree of astonishment.

Although the strong baht / weak western currencies have played a significant part , domestic inflation has also played a part in making Thailand relatively expensive.

One can make all sorts of excuses but frankly one of the kingdoms major selling points was that it was a bargain destination, not true anymore.

When one , in certain cases , is paying the same as in many parts of Europe or North America , something has gone very wrong.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, joecoolfrog said:

I spent December in Thailand , Bangkok , Pattaya , Hua Hin and Phuket ( Karon ) and would concur with the OP.

Both my personal observations and chatting with local trades people suggest that business is extremely sluggish.

Since the New Year I have been in Southern Laos ( Pakse and the Boleven ) and it is striking how much cheaper day to day items are compared with Thailand.

This is confirmed by 2 Thai travelling companions who on a daily basis have been converting local prices into baht with a certain degree of astonishment.

Although the strong baht / weak western currencies have played a significant part , domestic inflation has also played a part in making Thailand relatively expensive.

One can make all sorts of excuses but frankly one of the kingdoms major selling points was that it was a bargain destination, not true anymore.

When one , in certain cases , is paying the same as in many parts of Europe or North America , something has gone very wrong.

How are day to day items cheaper than Thailand when almost everything is  imported from there?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sametboy2019 said:

How are day to day items cheaper than Thailand when almost everything is  imported from there?

You tell me , that appears to be the case though. Having said that I am only talking in a tourist / traveller sense so accomodation , alcohol , restaurants , ciggies and the like.

• Sad 1

On 1/9/2020 at 2:08 AM, sirineou said:

Well, it was mostly over 40 between 1998 and 2005, but then again - it was fluctuating around 25 back in 1987 - 1996. Anyone's choice as to what to compare to. 

• Thanks 1