BANGKOK
Hal65

Will Thailand break out of middile income status?

2 hours ago, genericptr said:

How? where? that's a very good salary for any profession and I didn't know English teachers could ever earn that.

I'm working for the Saudi Military in a helicopter program. 

57 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

I imagine that, for such a price, you are teaching in Saudi Arabia, or some similar hellhole where no one wants to live...

Teaching in Thailand generally doesn't pay much, but at least the environment is enjoyable...and if you teach in one those top private schools where parents, or rather their employers, fork out 350,000 baht per child and per year, the pay is much better...

It's all relative I guess but for me it's fine. Got some good friends here, foreigners and locals alike. I find the people very friendly, a lot more so than Thailand in many ways. And I get to travel every 8 weeks or so. 

ATEOTD I'm just trying to provide a decent standard of living for my family and provide for my future. Not everyone's cup of tea but there you go. 

You mention decent salaries in Thailand but they are going to be in the minority. In regards to the post I quoted and education in Thailand, there are never going to be hordes of well qualified people queueing up to work in a classroom of 40-50 kids for 30-40k a month. 

43 minutes ago, bermondburi said:

I'm working for the Saudi Military in a helicopter program.

That's a pretty damn good deal then. To get 80k/year (or higher) in the USA teaching anything I think you need to be a tenured professor or maybe a very senior public school teacher in a high-priced city. I have a friend who teaches english in NYC and he gets 40k and only can work 8 months/year which means he's totally broke. That cost him getting a masters degree (50k debt) and he can't advance until he spends thousands more to get a PhD and even then the market is extremely competitive for professors.

1 hour ago, genericptr said:

That's a pretty damn good deal then. To get 80k/year (or higher) in the USA teaching anything I think you need to be a tenured professor or maybe a very senior public school teacher in a high-priced city. I have a friend who teaches english in NYC and he gets 40k and only can work 8 months/year which means he's totally broke. That cost him getting a masters degree (50k debt) and he can't advance until he spends thousands more to get a PhD and even then the market is extremely competitive for professors.

It is a good deal and I'm very fortunate. Bit of a niche thing really but I had some lucky breaks along the way with people I knew getting me in. 

For US citizens especially, and to a lesser extent Brits, there are opportunities working for defense contractors that will pay very well. 

Highest paying jobs I've heard of were in Afghanistan and they paid a whole lot more than mine, but there were good reasons for that. LOL.