High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)

I took my friend to a hospital because his new Omron HEM-8712 pressure reading was 155/97. Hospital nurse measurement was about the same and she tested Omron too. My pressure was 125/84. 

Doctor gave him new pills and advice. I would very much appreciate it if you would share simple Healthy Thai recipes. We are 59, 71yo and please keep google it replies to yourself. 

• Sad 1
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First of all, if you ask for help, better go easy on insulting the same people you're asking, many people will be happy with 155/97 reading especially older and unfit people, so nothing to panic here,

Dealing with Thai Immigration will give you high blood pressure. Is this why you posted this in the Visa forum?

It may be OK by you but it is definitely unhealthy and puts you at added risk of a stroke and heart disease.   And you will care, a lot, if you have a stroke or develop heart disease.

Posted Images

I also have high blood pressure... but the main question in regards to food is, what are your blood values, cholesterol, sugar etc. they should also be reviewed when there is high blood pressure

• Like 2

Diet is important but exercise and weight control are important as well.. 159/97 is not good and correct medication is probably called for.. blood tests.. LDL, HDL & Triglycerides.. probably not a bad idea to have a ECG.. not expensive at hospital and gives an indication of health of his heart.  Should seek advice on exercise.. depends a lot on where he is starting from.. weight ..BMI ..general fitness level.. 

125/84 is not bad.. exercise, diet & weight control should keep it in this range.. 

Blood pressure varies a lot through the day depending on what you are doing and what your stress level is.. also your general state of health.. If I have a cold coming on and not feeling well mine goes up..  I try to take my bp at the same time each day under similar circumstances..  I do a bike ride for exercise early morning.. after shower and cool down and relax for a bit and then check it.. 

18 minutes ago, ezzra said:

First of all, if you ask for help, better go easy on insulting the same people you're asking, many people will be happy with 155/97 reading especially older and unfit people, so nothing to panic here, and the bottom line is not what you eat, is how much you eat...

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/12/17/ask-well-blood-pressure-over-age-70/

I was an adventure tour leader, walking, kayaking, played tennis, kept very active. Retired and did heavy gardening work keeping my weight down and eating healthy. And still my blood pressure went up. I tried the diet route, low fat, low dairy and lost some weight but never reduced the blood pressure. I had a decent check-up and was told I was in good condition, just take the pills. Some changes in arteries, something like that and nothing you can do about it. Recently at 69 it appears to be on its way down. 

19 minutes ago, Lungstib said:

I was an adventure tour leader, walking, kayaking, played tennis, kept very active. Retired and did heavy gardening work keeping my weight down and eating healthy. And still my blood pressure went up. I tried the diet route, low fat, low dairy and lost some weight but never reduced the blood pressure. I had a decent check-up and was told I was in good condition, just take the pills. Some changes in arteries, something like that and nothing you can do about it. Recently at 69 it appears to be on its way down. 

I have been doing everything they suggest WRT to diet and exercise for years anyway, yet when I checked for the first time in a long time it was high.

2 minutes ago, saengd said:

Ditch salt,, exercise on a regular basis and stop alcohol and you'll be just fine.

I avoid non isotopic sources of Sodium, haven't drunk alcohol for 30 years, and exercise 5 times a week.

Edited by mokwit

Take multiple blood pressure measurements during the day, over several days, to weeks, to get a proper estimate of average blood pressure. 

• Like 2