High Blood Pressure (Hypertension)

SoSoCNX

On 1/9/2020 at 7:33 AM, saengd said:

Ditch salt,, exercise on a regular basis and stop alcohol and you'll be just fine.

Don't forget to give up sex as well as beer and salt etc. Will you live longer? No but it sure will feel like it.     bananaman.gif

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Haha 2

I've had high blood pressure for around 10 years now, no idea why it started (bad diet maybe) as it isn't in the family. I take pills for it which I find a pain...my 'record' is around 220/150 now it is usually around 160/100 which is ok by me, although I'm too lazy to measure it very often. I don't stress about it and couldn't care less really..

As said above, you need to be sitting and rested at your station for 10 mins or so being getting a true reading..

1 hour ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Don't forget to give up sex as well as beer and salt etc. Will you live longer? No but it sure will feel like it.     bananaman.gif

You have to laugh don't you when you read this type of 'advice' Yea stop living and you will live longer (maybe) even though you won't have a life.

Going for a pint is literally the only thing that stops me from going completely stir living here..

Tbh, if giving up salt helps then that is an easy worthwhile exercise, as I don't really think you need salt on food anyway..maybe on a fried egg but that's it for me..but sod the other sacrifices..no thanks.

Edited by Keyser Soze666
  • Like 1

What is the ideal blood pressure for a 65 year old?
The previous guidelines set the threshold at 140/90 mm Hg for people younger than age 65 and 150/80 mm Hg for those ages 65 and older. This means 70% to 79% of men ages 55 and older are now classified as having hypertension. That includes many men whose blood pressure had previously been considered healthy.Jun 1, 2020

On 1/9/2020 at 7:46 AM, saengd said:

MY UK doctors nurse takes my BP about six or seven times in succession, about one minute apart each time, eventually it gets down to a decent level. In Thailand the nurse takes a reading once or twice and then tells me I have high blood pressure.

Usually a Thai nurse will not take your Blood Pressure now.

They have machines that you stick your arm in and press a button. A while later press for your printed reading.

Its a fair guess that the machines are not maintained correctly or even calibrated, and with the present situation and the threat of  Covid, they are used by Hundreds every Day, and never cleaned with Alcohol wipes Etc.

Its healthier to have high Blood Pressure.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

They have machines that you stick your arm in and press a button. A while later press for your printed reading.

Its a fair guess that the machines are not maintained correctly or even calibrated, and with the present situation and the threat of  Covid, they are used by Hundreds every Day, and never cleaned with Alcohol wipes Etc.

Suspect you are talking government hospitals.  Every private hospital I have used it is done by staff.  It sure is not a valid reason not to monitor blood pressure - if you are concerned of covid spend the few baht to buy a personal home unit (which is more reliable than readings taken in hospitals full of white coats anyhow).  The blood pressure mentioned in this thread is not healthy for anyone (try operating you home water pump at such excessive pressures and see what happens).  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Under 500bht for a blood pressure monitor to use at home.

If you have BP concerns there really is no excuse not to have one at home and take your own BP every day.

I've been taking the cheapest Thai BP medicine for the past 2 years (Doxazocin) with no side effects or problems.

My usual BP is now around 90/60 most of the day rising to 110/80 in the evening.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Sheryl said:

A medication adjustment will not interfere with your "fun".

A stroke leaving you paralyzed and unable to speak, will.

So will kidney failure and heart disease, to name just a few of the things you are putting yourself at risk of by ignoring dangerously high  BP.

Who said I'm ignoring it? Read back, I said I take pills for it.

10 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Who said I'm ignoring it? Read back, I said I take pills for it.

In the same paragraph you said "although I'm too lazy to measure it very often. I don't stress about it and couldn't care less really.." so not clear you are receiving current treatment - and you say you are not actively monitoring.  I am also not keen on doctor visits but something this far out of the normal range should be under an experts care as we know high blood pressures are a real issue. 

On 9/6/2020 at 8:01 AM, ravip said:

Just a small clarification.

When taking the blood pressure at home, is there any significant difference in the reading, depending on your position?

Mainly between sitting vs laying down flat on the bed.

Any advice about the above quoted, please?

2 hours ago, ravip said:

Any advice about the above quoted, please?

My personal Dr, purchased a Omron machine for around  1,600 baht to take my own blood pressure each day,or when needed.

His instructions for taking,was to take a normal sitting position , back firmly against your chair, both feet flat on the floor .left arm to stradle across both legs at waist level, right arm to rest

on table to B P  machine with palms of your hand pointing upwards to the ceiling. My readings since day one, have been accurate using the above procedure.

FWIW my BP  readings hover around 130 over 75 for a 72 yr old. which my Dr says in my case, very good.

But stressed any number over 140 by 90 to seek medical advice immediately.

BTW I do not take any medication whats so ever

Edited by deej
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, deej said:

My personal Dr, purchased a Omron machine for around  1,600 baht to take my own blood pressure each day,or when needed.

His instructions for taking,was to take a normal sitting position , back firmly against your chair, both feet flat on the floor .left arm to stradle across both legs at waist level, right arm to rest

on table to B P  machine with palms of your hand pointing upwards to the ceiling. My readings since day one, have been accurate using the above procedure.

FWIW my BP  readings hover around 130 over 75 for a 72 yr old. which my Dr says in my case, very good.

But stressed any number over 140 by 90 to seek medical advice immediately.

BTW I do not take any medication whats so ever

Thank you very much for the helpful info.

Blood pressure fluctuate through the day by a lot.

So take measurement throughout the day.  Relax when you are taking BP.  Don't cross your legs. 

If you can't get it to 120/130 any time during the day, stop salt intake and smoking.  You need to be on medication.

Too much caffeine is not good either.

Exercise regularly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2020 at 8:47 PM, BritManToo said:

Under 500bht for a blood pressure monitor to use at home.

If you have BP concerns there really is no excuse not to have one at home and take your own BP every day.

I've been taking the cheapest Thai BP medicine for the past 2 years (Doxazocin) with no side effects or problems.

My usual BP is now around 90/60 most of the day rising to 110/80 in the evening.

Wow that is cheap 'blood pressure monitor to use at home' are they any good ?  Test 2 x a day for some years my Machine cost almost 4,000 baht.

Have taken  Enail 20 mg every evening for 29 years,  + new for this year Madiplot® (manidipine) 10 mg  mornings

As of yesterday my 100 day Dr appointment = blood pressure average per month is 135/73...  I am 70 this year...  Dr still wants it lower somewhere around 128 - 130 over 70.....  

I stopped as much as possible Salt + Sodium + Sugar Free Drinks about 18 months ago...   

Good News my A1c 5.9  lowest it has been in 29 years..  2015 my CKD was stage 5, yesterday down yet again to 2.9.  it is good when you have a good Dr 

14 minutes ago, ignis said:

Wow that is cheap 'blood pressure monitor to use at home' are they any good ?  Test 2 x a day for some years my Machine cost almost 4,000 baht.

Seems to work fine ...... 255bht

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/x180-arm-blood-pressure-ce-90-high-quality-x180-arm-blood-pressure-monitor-with-ce-approved-the-memory-can-store-90-measurements-i533672545-s964208075.html

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

looks fine

Mine is the Omron HEM-7600T bought about 4+ years ago believe was 3.990 baht - notice on Lazada they are now 5,400 baht.

I have two Omron 7130 models at about 1,800 baht each and consider them very reliable so really no need to pay more in my opinion.  But did find the several hundred baht models less than consistent so do not feel 1,800 baht is excessive - yes it is brand name buying so probably higher price than needs to be but on the other hand they have a history of working and various models have worked well for me over several decades.  I can not say the same for no names or even some other brand names.  I did try that 255 baht unit and gave it away - for 255 baht good but readings did not seem that reliable at times.

Even the Branded machines are recommended to be calibrated by the manufacturer, annually.

Edit

Calibration and Service
• The accuracy of this blood pressure monitor has been carefully tested
and is designed for a long service life.
• It is generally recommended to have the device inspected every 2 years
to ensure correct functioning and accuracy. Please consult your local
OMRON representatives.

Edited by ravip

36 minutes ago, ravip said:

Even the Branded machines are recommended to be calibrated by the manufacturer, annually.

Edit

Calibration and Service
• The accuracy of this blood pressure monitor has been carefully tested
and is designed for a long service life.
• It is generally recommended to have the device inspected every 2 years
to ensure correct functioning and accuracy. Please consult your local
OMRON representatives.

And if you are a medical unit using equipment you would want to do that - but for the home user it is not normally practical but what can be done is to take with you on next doctor visit and have him compare with his mercury readings.

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The problem with these cheap machines is they all come with arm cuffs sized for Asians. This one has an arm circumference of 22-32 cm. Okay if you have girly size arms but not okay for the average falang. ???? If your cuff is not the right size for your arm you may not get a correct reading. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

And if you are a medical unit using equipment you would want to do that - but for the home user it is not normally practical but what can be done is to take with you on next doctor visit and have him compare with his mercury readings.

You are right. Once I took my machine to an Omron service centre and they did the calibration in a couple of hours, free of charge (not in Thailand).