Tourist drowns: Call for lifeguards at popular "Full Moon Party" beach

webfact

Tourist drowns: Call for lifeguards at popular "Full Moon Party" beach

81281328_2176880725953103_320881993141190656_n.jpg

Calls have been made for lifeguards to be stationed at an internationally known Thai beach famous for its Full Moon parties. 

The call comes after what was believed to be a young German tourist drowned at Haad Rin Beach on Koh Phangan at the weekend. 

A witness told Thaivisa that an ambulance took 30 minutes to get to the scene and attempts to revive the young tourist were unsuccessful. 

The post claimed that every year tourists drown at this popular beach famous for its parties. 

It is time that lifeguards and medical equipment was provided by the authorities, the witness said.

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-09

along with the thais selling everything under the sun,tourist police watching undercover police maybe.just drunk and high farangs doing whatever they do in their state of mind.a life guard on the beach will do nothing to stop what happens.come morning they will be saying great party what happened.where is my ph and my money.when is the next one

8 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Never gonna happen. Just talk. Never seen a more amateur tourist management then in ????????. They could easily copy other countries achievements, but their cultural and personal attitudes do not allow for this. Pity. USED TO BEexotic and amazing... Check back in 20 years. MS>

We could always implement US laws which prohibits alcohol on the beach. Careful what you wish for.

• Like 2

All of the above suggestions have been tried multiple times there and have all come unstuck by the maggot of corruption......& it isn't helped by the typical 5k (Oct) to 50+k (Xmas & NY) crowds being expected to wade into the sea to have a <deleted> due to the complete lack of facilities there each month.

image.jpeg.727fc748fc78294da78426016a44ff9e.jpeg

I haven't been for a while but the few that were there weren't enough and were 'full to the gunwales' before the sun had even gone down!

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 2

The biggest cause of teenage deaths in Thailand is drowning (not motrobikes).

The reason for this .....they can't swim and there is nothing in place to have them learn. I attended compulsory swimming classes when I was 10 years old at primary school in the U.K. My 2 kids could both swim before they went to primary school aged 5.

So calls from westerners to have lifeguards on beaches is an utter waste of time.

15 years of being in Thailand I could count on the fingers of one hand seeing a Thai person that could actually swim. I lived in a condo with a huge pool and I think maybe saw 3 Thais that could swim well.

I met 2 women that had previous farrang BF's and could swim. That was it.

When I mean swim. I mean someone who can cut through the water for more than 100 mtrs at a steady pace freestyle using correct breathing. Not someone who double handed doggy paddles and puts their feet on the bottom every 5 mtrs.

Jomtien beach has lifeguards dressed ike security guards with yellow bibs that spend all day looking at their phones. So you still reports of drowned tourists.

This is not Australia, not Florida and not Hawaii and never ever will be.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

The biggest cause of teenage deaths in Thailand is drowning (not motrobikes).

The reason for this .....they can't swim and there is nothing in place to have them learn. I attended compulsory swimming classes when I was 10 years old at primary school in the U.K. My 2 kids could both swim before they went to primary school aged 5.

So calls from westerners to have lifeguards on beaches is an utter waste of time.

15 years of being in Thailand I could count on the fingers of one hand seeing a Thai person that could actually swim. I lived in a condo with a huge pool and I think maybe saw 3 Thais that could swim well.

I met 2 women that had previous farrang BF's and could swim. That was it.

When I mean swim. I mean someone who can cut through the water for more than 100 mtrs at a steady pace freestyle using correct breathing. Not someone who double handed doggy paddles and puts their feet on the bottom every 5 mtrs.

Jomtien beach has lifeguards dressed ike security guards with yellow bibs that spend all day looking at their phones. So you still reports of drowned tourists.

This is not Australia, not Florida and not Hawaii and never ever will be.

- Actually it's Samui (Samui-KPG-KT, All 3 islands for which this board is pitched). 

- Quite a few Thai's living here can swim.

- The deceased person in the OP was German.

I note from a recent local FB post that swimming lessons will shortly commence at Oong Rak school courtesy of a 'Rotary' initiative, and the pool near Irish times/Tesco is always busy between 4 & 8 pm at a very modest monthly fee (THB 500 PPPM for unlimited use inc a towel). 

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2020 at 5:46 PM, lonewolf99 said:

The entire island is chocka-block with farang diving instructors all trained in rescue and EFR. There's no excuse not to have people on standby, so I have to disagree with your post and refute it utterly.

My God, the body count goes on.

On 1/10/2020 at 1:10 PM, KKr said:

if it is that bad, why do the local establishment owners not bump up the prices by 5 Baht (we care for you charge) and put a trained crew of life guards in place ?

I would imagine that is 5 baht is too much, cuts into their profits. Like Phuket which cut their lifeguards because of needless expense. Who really cares if people die.?!

And people wonder why tourism is tanking. No longer Teflon Thailand.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

My God, the body count goes on.

I would imagine that is 5 baht is too much, cuts into their profits. Like Phuket which cut their lifeguards because of needless expense. Who really cares if people die.?!

And people wonder why tourism is tanking. No longer Teflon Thailand.

how bumping up the prices by 5 Baht would cut into profits, I do not see.
Myself, I do not care whether I pay 150 or 155 Baht for a beer.

The issue would be that the bar owners may not transfer the extra revenue to the LifeGuard pool's account.

On 1/12/2020 at 4:16 AM, ThaiHopper said:

<deleted>!!!? Why haven't they always had life guards? The parents should sue the heck out of the organisers

If you want to live such a sheltered life you should stay in your first world country. Some of us moved away from our own Nanny states because we understand and are willing to accept responsibility for our actions. last we need is guards, protection units and pages long disclaimers at every corner.

"Sue the heck out of the organisers" - you very much sound like an American who has not seen anything of the world...

• Like 1

On a crowded beach full of drunks at night who is going to notice someone in trouble in the water.  Mid-afternoon in the Med' I pulled my BIL in when he got cramp and was actually going under. ( both in our 20's ) when we got to the beach both of coughed and puked up half the Med', it felt like it anyway. The only person who noticed anything was his wife. 

If someone goes under at night you most likely wont notice until it's too late.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

You can't have known many Thais very well in your 15 years, then.

I'm routinely around hundreds of Thai annually. The average Thai cannot swim. My tiny 41kg wife can swim circles around them, dive to 10m. But Thai cannot swim. They willingly wear vests off snorkel boats and even playing in water 1.5m deep.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Just Weird said:
On 1/12/2020 at 6:41 AM, LomSak27 said:

And people wonder why tourism is tanking.

Yes, why do some people wonder that when tourism in Thailand is not "tanking"?  More to the point, why do some people continue to post it?

As news articles have been posted on the board, on that very subject. I consider it a current issue/problem facing Thailand. As such, why would I not post ?

If you feel that people should not post or read about these issues. Perhaps you should contact Nation Multimedia Group, as they own Thaivisa, suggest that they limit any articles that cast a bad or negative light on Thailand. :thumbsup:

As always, our hopes and prayers are with you.