BANGKOK
webfact

Tourist drowns: Call for lifeguards at popular "Full Moon Party" beach

12 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

My God, the body count goes on.

I would imagine that is 5 baht is too much, cuts into their profits. Like Phuket which cut their lifeguards because of needless expense. Who really cares if people die.?!

And people wonder why tourism is tanking. No longer Teflon Thailand.

how bumping up the prices by 5 Baht would cut into profits, I do not see.
Myself, I do not care whether I pay 150 or 155 Baht for a beer.

The issue would be that the bar owners may not transfer the extra revenue to the LifeGuard pool's account.

On 1/12/2020 at 4:16 AM, ThaiHopper said:

<deleted>!!!? Why haven't they always had life guards? The parents should sue the heck out of the organisers

If you want to live such a sheltered life you should stay in your first world country. Some of us moved away from our own Nanny states because we understand and are willing to accept responsibility for our actions. last we need is guards, protection units and pages long disclaimers at every corner.

"Sue the heck out of the organisers" - you very much sound like an American who has not seen anything of the world...

• Like 1

On a crowded beach full of drunks at night who is going to notice someone in trouble in the water.  Mid-afternoon in the Med' I pulled my BIL in when he got cramp and was actually going under. ( both in our 20's ) when we got to the beach both of coughed and puked up half the Med', it felt like it anyway. The only person who noticed anything was his wife. 

If someone goes under at night you most likely wont notice until it's too late.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 4:16 AM, ThaiHopper said:

<deleted>!!!? Why haven't they always had life guards? The parents should sue the heck out of the organisers

You just be careful you don't spill your hot coffee on your leg in Thailand.

• Haha 2

On 1/11/2020 at 9:49 AM, evadgib said:

15 years of being in Thailand I could count on the fingers of one hand seeing a Thai person that could actually swim.

You can't have known many Thais very well in your 15 years, then.

Thais can't swim.

What farang can't swim, I ask you?

This is the Gulf of Thailand not Surf City.

I'm sure alcohol was involved.

Just have a Darwin award ceremony the morning after the FMP.

• Confused 1

On 1/12/2020 at 6:41 AM, LomSak27 said:

And people wonder why tourism is tanking.

Yes, why do some people wonder that when tourism in Thailand is not "tanking"?  More to the point, why do some people continue to post it?

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:

You can't have known many Thais very well in your 15 years, then.

I'm routinely around hundreds of Thai annually. The average Thai cannot swim. My tiny 41kg wife can swim circles around them, dive to 10m. But Thai cannot swim. They willingly wear vests off snorkel boats and even playing in water 1.5m deep.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Thais can't swim.

Why would you even post that nonsense?  Many, many Thais can swim and the person in the OP wasn't Thai!

• Like 1

I remember hearing that a partygoer fell asleep on an airbed.

She ended up in Koh Samui !

5 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

The average Thai cannot swim.  But Thai cannot swim.

Nonsense.  You cannot make that generalisation and seriously expect it to be considered credible.

Edited by Just Weird

Thai gov't should put sharks with lasers in the sea. That will hopefully deter drunkards from taking a dip in the water.

One cannot change things in Thailand so no point in finger pointing !!!...but one can educate and warn tourists, provide of course they are willing to listen and learn.....

The water in the pic doesn't look especially placid. It's all to easy to get disoriented and in real trouble ...

11 hours ago, Just Weird said:
On 1/12/2020 at 6:41 AM, LomSak27 said:

And people wonder why tourism is tanking.

Yes, why do some people wonder that when tourism in Thailand is not "tanking"?  More to the point, why do some people continue to post it?

As news articles have been posted on the board, on that very subject. I consider it a current issue/problem facing Thailand. As such, why would I not post ?

If you feel that people should not post or read about these issues. Perhaps you should contact Nation Multimedia Group, as they own Thaivisa, suggest that they limit any articles that cast a bad or negative light on Thailand. :thumbsup:

As always, our hopes and prayers are with you.