Thailand drought: A river with no water - clearest sign yet of crisis

webfact

Thailand drought: A river with no water - clearest sign yet of crisis

3pm.jpg

Thai caption: A river with no water

Picture: Sanook

Thai media Sanook published a picture that they said was the clearest sign yet that Thailand is facing a drought crisis of considerable proportions. 

Their picture was taken in the Wang Jik sub-district of Pho Prathap Chang district of Phichit, a province a little over 300 kilometers north of the capital Bangkok. 

It showed the Yom river had run completely dry - all that could be seen was the sand. 

The Yom river is an important source of water and Sanook said it had run dry over 127 kilometers through four districts namely Sam Ngam, Pho Prathap Chang, Beung Narang  and Pho Thalee.

Thaivisa notes that stories about the drought crisis are featuring daily in the Thai press. 

There have been reports that the Maekhong River has dried up and warnings have been issued in Bangkok after the salinity of the tap water increased to potentially dangerous levels for at risk groups.

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-09

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thai media Sanook published a picture that they said was the clearest sign yet that Thailand is facing a drought crisis of considerable proportions. 

Our place sits off of the Nan River and currently the river is starting to recede. In the last few days it has already gone done by a good meter. In the meantime, farmers are still going with year round rice farming and pumping out of the river. The pump shown below has been recently installed across the river from us and has been operating around the clock to water a massive rice farm...

river rice farm pump.JPG

31 minutes ago, missoura said:

Our place sits off of the Nan River and currently the river is starting to recede. In the last few days it has already gone done by a good meter. In the meantime, farmers are still going with year round rice farming and pumping out of the river. The pump shown below has been recently installed across the river from us and has been operating around the clock to water a massive rice farm...

river rice farm pump.JPG

Yes farmers are taking more then their fair share of water. Then again nobody will ever stop them as nobody wants to get the farmers angry.

They either use up all of the water burn what they want and leave others suffocating or poison us with their chemicals. 

My respect for farmers has dropped even lower. 

Just now, soalbundy said:

surely the picture has been doctored, where are all the plastic sheets, tires, bottles and other rubbish which should be lying at the bottom of every Thai river?

Now that the river was dry all the people who collect plastic and bottles have gone there and collected and sold them ????

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes farmers are taking more then their fair share of water. Then again nobody will ever stop them as nobody wants to get the farmers angry.

They either use up all of the water burn what they want and leave others suffocating or poison us with their chemicals. 

I would have thought that a "fair share" was whatever was needed to keep a crop from dying.

Missing a shower or two is unlikely to destroy the life of an industrial worker, an office worker or a street trader.

It might make their places of work a bit smelly, but it is not essential to their survival, or that of their family, or their community, their region or those who "consume" what they "produce".

Not essential to your survival for that matter.

Your Urban Thai, diminished, "respect", for farmers, is beneath contempt.

4 minutes ago, Enoon said:

I would have thought that a "fair share" was whatever was needed to keep a crop from dying.

Missing a shower or two is unlikely to destroy the life of an industrial worker, an office worker or a street trader.

It might make their places of work a bit smelly, but it is not essential to their survival, or that of their family, or their community.

Or yours for that matter.

Your, "urban Thai", lack of respect, is beneath contempt.

Fair share is the same as everyone else why should farmers have more rights to a free resource ? Everyone is entitled to fair share farmers take more then their fair share.

Life or no life its stealing from others. I guess your one of those people who think people don't have equal rights.

Farmers can change find other jobs, other people do the same if their job does not work out. Why is it people think farmers should be different.

Your lack of respect for normal people who just want their fair share is beneath contempt. 

In my country farmers take less water when there is a drought as EVERYONE has a right to water and farmers are not entitled to more. Drinking water is more important then farmers.

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Farmers can change find other jobs, other people do the same if their job does not work out. Why is it people think farmers should be different.

Ok, there is less water, and that's a big problem, but i don't get your hostility against the farmers.

Do you realise that the food you eat, being rice , bread, fruit, vegetables or meat is produced by the farmers, right ?

Saying that "they can find other jobs" is not realistic, you can't be serious.

2 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Ok, there is less water, and that's a big problem, but i don't get your hostility against the farmers.

Do you realise that the food you eat, being rice , bread, fruit, vegetables or meat is produced by the farmers, right ?

Saying that "they can find other jobs" is not realistic, you can't be serious.

Yes of course but in times of globalization there is no need for it to be raised here. So if there is a drought and farmers use more then their fair share then its a crime IMHO.

Could you explain to me why farmers should be allowed to take water for free and more then other people ?. There are other products that require less water.  Rice uses too much water. 

Also as an accountant I see many small businesses go bust but that is ok but for farmers its not allowed why is that. Why do farmers think they are special ? If you fail at something then do something else don't expect others to subsidize you.

Sorry my hostility towards farmers comes from the idea that farmers are quite militant all over the world. That normal businesses are ok to go broke but when it comes to farmers all of a sudden that is not an option. I have grown up among farmers I know them well. Always complaining always wanting a helping hand while this does not apply to other small businesses that go bust. Its just not fair. 

Just let the market rule and let the market sort it out just like with other businesses. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Travel outside the city, go spend some time with the "farmers" that you dislike so much from the negative view that you get from the media, most have no access to water! Do you have any idea what the yearly income is for farmers, its a lot less than the conglomerates that loan them the money to make a pittance!

3 minutes ago, CGW said:

Travel outside the city, go spend some time with the "farmers" that you dislike so much from the negative view that you get from the media, most have no access to water! Do you have any idea what the yearly income is for farmers, its a lot less than the conglomerates that loan them the money to make a pittance!

I grew up among farmers as I said before so I have a pretty good idea about them.

Low income is not a reason to take water and plant extra crops during a drought.

When a normal trader loses his business its ok but for a farmer it is not. Care to explain to me why its ok for normal people to lose jobs and businesses if they fail and not for farmers. 

Do explain why you think they have more right to water then others and why they and not others should be always bailed out ?

Treat them like other businesses let them fail when they fail just like others. I see no reasons for a special position of farmers. You either help everyone or you don't. Only reason farmers here can do what they want (burn all the stuff they like others be dammed, use the poison they like and now take water from others is because they are organised and a voting block) If they had behaved better id respect them. Now I dont. 

2 hours ago, sungod said:

Meanwhile, up stream in China..........

The River Yom goes nowhere near China. 

If, in your geographical ignorance are thinking about the Mekhong and it's tributaries, this photo of the Mekhong was taken from Thailand, well downstream from anywhere close to China last week.

TimePhoto_20200102_144148.jpg.0727481db9

Say what? 

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

Just let the market rule and let the market sort it out just like with other businesses. 

Very rational answer and i respect that, but the farmers do more imho than producing food, they take care of the land and populate it.

There is a reason why the governments subsidize farmers.

When the "market" will rule everything, and i believe we are close to that, the world will be worse.

I agree though that water management is a serious issue, and it can't be easily fixed.

20 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes of course but in times of globalization there is no need for it to be raised here. So if there is a drought and farmers use more then their fair share then its a crime IMHO.

Could you explain to me why farmers should be allowed to take water for free and more then other people ?. There are other products that require less water.  Rice uses too much water. 

Also as an accountant I see many small businesses go bust but that is ok but for farmers its not allowed why is that. Why do farmers think they are special ? If you fail at something then do something else don't expect others to subsidize you.

Sorry my hostility towards farmers comes from the idea that farmers are quite militant all over the world. That normal businesses are ok to go broke but when it comes to farmers all of a sudden that is not an option. I have grown up among farmers I know them well. Always complaining always wanting a helping hand while this does not apply to other small businesses that go bust. Its just not fair. 

The agricultural community requires assistance and justifiably so, they produce our food.

I prefer to buy local produce whenever I can, leaving food producers to the mercy of market forces would mean the end of farming in many countries and a loss of food security.

Nations cannot fully rely on importing all of their food.

57 minutes ago, Enoon said:

It might make their places of work a bit smelly, but it is not essential to their survival, or that of their family, or their community, their region or those who "consume" what they "produce".

Not essential to your survival for that matter.

Your Urban Thai, diminished, "respect", for farmers, is beneath contempt.

You either do not live in a drought area if say this, you really believe that

A village should run dry or survive on about 3 hours a water a day so farmer Sutwit can use all the water for his whatever he sells (sweet potatoes around here)

16 minutes ago, CGW said:

Not sure were you are, but up here in our esaan village, most poor farmers seem to grow only one rice crop a year, then sit on the lazy ar###se drinking whiskey . When you ask why they don't work all year like proper farmers, the excuse is "no money"

Perhaps if they worked all year, maybe they wouldn't be so poor. Yes, i know this year is bad for water, but no excuse for all the other years getting p#ssed instead of working and earning money

13 minutes ago, robblok said:

Do explain why you think they have more right to water then others and why they and not others should be always bailed out ?

Where did I say that?

Your obviously getting your news from that indisputable free and fair rag the BP, least you can be sure they will tell the truth ????

For every farmer that steals water there are many, many more that have have no access to water, but they the "media" have an agenda - surely you can see that?

Quite what farmers in your homeland has to do with farmers here is beyond me, do you know how much money the average farmer makes here?

As I said, venture out from your "Ivory tower" go see the reality, your view will change from the nonsense you are currently believing.

13 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

The River Yom goes nowhere near China. 

If, in your geographical ignorance are thinking about the Mekhong and it's tributaries, this photo of the Mekhong was taken from Thailand, well downstream from anywhere close to China last week.

TimePhoto_20200102_144148.jpg.0727481db9

Say what? 

Looks like Nakon Phanom

Have you had a look this week ?

Go down towards the River Hotels, and look again, very large sandbanks a third of the way across the river, the little boats moored 30 meters plus from the banks, and the river level around 8-10 meters lower than last year !

6 minutes ago, CGW said:

Where did I say that?

Your obviously getting your news from that indisputable free and fair rag the BP, least you can be sure they will tell the truth ????

For every farmer that steals water there are many, many more that have have no access to water, but they the "media" have an agenda - surely you can see that?

Quite what farmers in your homeland has to do with farmers here is beyond me, do you know how much money the average farmer makes here?

As I said, venture out from your "Ivory tower" go see the reality, your view will change from the nonsense you are currently believing.

i disagree you still did not explain to me why a maid that loses her job or someone in a car factory is less important then a farmer who constant gets a handout.  Do explain to me why farmers should always get more then normal people.

I am getting my news from multiple sources and pictures from members like in this topic. So it happens farmers do steal water to make money. Pity for the farmers that don't have water but that is the risk of a business. You still don't get it all other businesses are allowed to fail but farmers seem to hold a special place. You are one of those people promoting that.

You either help everyone or not.  Farmers are not special its just a business nothing more nothing less. If you fail at it find something else. That is what everyone does who runs a business. That is the risk. I run my own business if it goes wrong nobody will help me. 

Are you a farmer or have been ? Have you ever had your own business ? If so why would it be fair that some get help and others don't.

17 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

Very rational answer and i respect that, but the farmers do more imho than producing food, they take care of the land and populate it.

There is a reason why the governments subsidize farmers.

When the "market" will rule everything, and i believe we are close to that, the world will be worse.

I agree though that water management is a serious issue, and it can't be easily fixed.

The thing is mate that i as an accountant see business fail never get any assistance but farmers always have their hand out (not only in Thailand). 

I disagree that farmers are doing such a good thing. But I do agree you can't let the market decide everything. However if you constantly fail at something then something is wrong and others should not bail you out.

Plus water is for everyone not just farmers and factories (its not just farmers). First water should be used for everyone washing / drinking ect. The rest could be divided. Not the other way around where farmers and companies take what they want and leave others to fend for themselves.

6 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Looks like Nakon Phanom

That's from Nong Khai.

6 minutes ago, Joinaman said:

Looks like Nakon Phanom

Have you had a look this week ?

Go down towards the River Hotels, and look again, very large sandbanks a third of the way across the river, the little boats moored 30 meters plus from the banks, and the river level around 8-10 meters lower than last year !

Exactly.

Downstream, from a point in Thailand that has no such issues....... oh, but it's China! ????

Archived