Billion baht Indians are the answer! TAT go to New Delhi all guns blazing for more Indian tourists

webfact

16 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

I have been there about twenty times. Not spent a great deal of time there in the great scheme of things - perhaps 6-8 months. But nearly all the close shaves, threats to my safety, thefts and er ...how can I put it....serious stomach problems occurred there. The roads make Thailand look organized and the arguments in the street are widespread. That said I love it to bits and would say that if you have never been to India you haven't lived. 

Just don't go there and expect to live if you don't take the utmost care.

I am also one that finds the racism on Thaivisa directed against Indians intolerable at times. 

Rooster

Lol...I'm going to cycle alone around 2500km in India and Bangladesh. Life would be interesting.

Edited by gearbox
spelling mistake

On 1/9/2020 at 1:07 PM, ezzra said:

Most Indian are vegetarian or muslims, from what i know i don't think Thailand can cater theses requirement sufficiently enough, other then than, bring them in if you can... 

Most Indians are Hindu. Hinduism (79.8%). Pakistan is mostly Muslim.  History?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pathologix said:

There are more than 760,000 millionaires in India. (Only 12 countries in the world have more, and India's GDP is growing much faster than most of those other 12 countries.). There are a further 15 million people with wealth in the 100,000 to million dollar range. It's only a few hours flight away, which means it's much easier to gain repeat travelers from India than from European markets. And acquisition costs are (potentially) MUCH lower than those for consumers in "traditional" markets. 

I'm baffled as to why anybody would criticize TAT for making a major push into a market that is growing so quickly, and is full of new, aspirational travellers. The global travel-trend data seem to make a good case for India eventually becoming the largest feeder market for much of SE Asia, across all wealth ranges. 

I have my doubts about travel shows being a particularly good use of TAT's marketing budget (I would be spending most of the India allocation on influencers and social media), but I think the drive to bring more Bollywood production here is exactly right. 

From all those criticizing the move, I'd be really curious to know where you think TAT should be targeting their resources, if not India.

One 'target' would be the sewage systems to stop direct discharge into seas on or close to popular beaches. Another target could be well organised garbage collection and disposal tied to cleaning out the stagnant and slow moving canals around Bangkok.

Add as you wish.

Edited by overherebc

6 hours ago, baansgr said:

Thailnd hotel more full 7 years ago befor Chinese and Indian tourists came. 

The tourists before were actually using hotels and not illegal airbnb short terms or Chinese owned condos. Also, they've since built far too much capacity. Nobody in their right mind wants to spend their holiday in a sardine can - except the Chinese and Indians that are used to it. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, overherebc said:

One 'target' would be the sewage systems to stop direct discharge into seas on or close to popular beaches. Another target could be well organised garbage collection and disposal tied to cleaning out the stagnant and slow moving canals around Bangkok.

Add as you wish.

TAT isn't in charge of sewage. That's like asking the Department of Education to start handing out speeding tickets to motorists. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, konbit said:

TAT isn't in charge of sewage. That's like asking the Department of Education to start handing out speeding tickets to motorists. 

But if they are interested in impressing tourists they could put pressure on those who are responsible and that's what I meant. Or, are you a firm believer in 'not my job'???

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, konbit said:

I can remember in UK as an uncouth youth 15/16 year old some teachers who were aware we were getting close to motorbike age having class talks on the highway code. Not one or two full school periods, just a ten minute talk on speed limits/rules etc. Responsibilities with an aim in sight can be shared.

8 hours ago, gearbox said:

Lol...I'm going to cycle alone around 2500km in India and Bangladesh. Life would be interesting.

I envy you and given sensible precautions I expect you will have a wonderful trip. I remember all my varied experiences in India like they were yesterday. I am put off going these days because of the visa requirements. Seven times I have played in the country's biggest Scrabble tournament in Bangalore that is taking place this week, but I didn't travel this year. For years I stayed there with an Indian vet who I met because I am a couch-surfer. You could try that on your bicycle trip....it is a wonderful way to meet brilliant Indian people.

Rooster

A number of Trolling generalisations have been removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

On 1/9/2020 at 1:26 PM, Baerboxer said:

"Most"? Less than 15% are Muslims. Less than 30% are vegetarian.

Guess you missed the amount of Muslim visitors from other countries too. They don't seem to have any issues visiting Thailand.

I’m not sure you understand the point of the conversation. Which is spending money in Thailand. Be it Muslim or vegetarian. There are certain groups that spend money when travelling and are happy to do so. There are other travellers that dont want to spend money but wat all that goes with it. So does Thailand want spenders or not? Not hard to answer that is it.