Advise for Retirement Non O visa with Dependent

Hello All,

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give. I do realize that policies/procedures seem to change at the whim of whatever officer you end up with, but we appreciate any info you can pass on.

My husband and I have been here for 4 years, and we are BOTH from the USA. We always follow the rules, and will continue to do so. We will be extending our Non O retirement visas in May at our district office in Nakhon Si Thammarat.

We learned last year that if one spouse from a married foreign couple has a visa, then the other spouse can ride on/be a dependent on that visa. We have confirmed that this is indeed true. This is great, because we will not be required to meet financial requirements X2. However, last year, when we inquired about this rule at our immigration office, the head guy said, "No, we cannot do that. We have to each have our own visa". ???? So either he is not updated, or just trying to cause problems. We have been reporting there for 2 years, and so far have not had any issues.

My questions are ...
1. Is there any way we can just file in another district? We already know that Surat Thani is amenable and accustomed to providing visas with dependents, as we lived there for 2 years.
2. When we change from 2 visas to 1 with a dependent, will we have to leave the country and start over? 

Thank you!

Edited by BadSpottedDog
Correction

You were given false info last year. The extension you want has been been allowed for many years.

The type of extension you would apply for is shown here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_20

Retirement extensions are under clause 2.22.

1. You can only apply at the designated office for where you are living.

2. No need to change visas. You will only be changing the reason for your extension.

Have you had your marriage certificate legalized by your home country or the local embassy for it.

40 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You were given false info last year. The extension you want has been been allowed for many years.

The type of extension you would apply for is shown here. https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_20

Retirement extensions are under clause 2.22.

1. You can only apply at the designated office for where you are living.

2. No need to change visas. You will only be changing the reason for your extension.

Have you had your marriage certificate legalized by your home country or the local embassy for it.

Yes. I knew the dependent law has been around for a long time, but the officer will not acknowledge it.
I guess we will have to pay a Thai lawyer to get this done.

We do have a legal, notarized marriage license/certificate from the US (it has a raised seal). I did hear that we must get some kind of verification here though. 

Thank you!

32 minutes ago, BadSpottedDog said:

We do have a legal, notarized marriage license/certificate from the US (it has a raised seal). I did hear that we must get some kind of verification here though. 

You can do a affidavit at the US embassy to self certify your marriage certificate that immigration will accept.

Form embassy website. https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/local-resources-of-u-s-citizens/notaries-public/

Oftentimes the Thai government requests the U.S. Embassy or Consulate General Chiang Mai “certify” documents listed under “services we cannot provide.” Please note the Embassy and Consulate CAN notarize an affidavit which may or may not satisfy the Thai requirement for “certification.”