Jump to content
BANGKOK
johnmell

UK credit card OTP

Recommended Posts

I have a UK credit card and they have recently introduced a new system where you need a UK mobile no., for them to text you an OTP when buying online.

Is there any easy way to get round this as I am living in Thailand.

 

            Many thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where abouts in Thailand.

In BKK easy. Get an M card. (SCB) It is a VISA debit card so simply add money to it before the purchase.

 

If not in Bangkok try applying on-line. Small cost 599 baht a year. https://www.mcardmall.com/en/home Nothing when you get it.

 

Don't go to SCB they are likely to know nothing about it.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Where abouts in Thailand.

In BKK easy. Get an M card. (SCB) It is a VISA debit card so simply add money to it before the purchase.

 

If not in Bangkok try applying on-line. Small cost 599 baht a year. https://www.mcardmall.com/en/home Nothing when you get it.

 

Don't go to SCB they are likely to know nothing about it.

 

Unless I am reading this wrong that isn't going to help him use his UK credit card......

 

@johnmell this has been discussed in the forums but unfortunately I cannot find the relevant thread.

If you don't currently have a UK no. you may need to get hold of one. Perhaps get a friend/family member to send you a sim from Giff Gaff/Asda/Tesco or the like where you only need to make a chargeable event every 6 months and make sure you have credit on it.

 

You may be able to get the cc issuer to agree to you doing the authorisation by email - you can but ask although be careful if the card is still registered to a UK address.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, topt said:

Unless I am reading this wrong that isn't going to help him use his UK credit card......

No but it will help him buy stuff online in/from Thailand and receive OTP code.

Works OK for me. Airline tickets, RC components, lazada, aliexpress. et al.,

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can buy a UK sim as I am in the UK shortly.My concern is that when the credit card company send an sms to me, and i am in Thailand, it wont get here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, johnmell said:

I can buy a UK sim as I am in the UK shortly.My concern is that when the credit card company send an sms to me, and i am in Thailand, it wont get here.

You can use UK sim in Thailand in roaming mode. You will need to switch your sim to UK one when you made purchase using your UK credit card to receive the OTP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, johnmell said:

I can buy a UK sim as I am in the UK shortly.My concern is that when the credit card company send an sms to me, and i am in Thailand, it wont get here.

Get a Tesco PAYG sim and put it in an old/cheap phone if you don,t have a dual SIM one....to keep it active you need to make 1 chargeable call (SMS I use just 40 pence) per 6 months when your expecting your SMS from the CC company switch your phone on with the Tesco SIM in it a few minutes before to activate it and you will get the SMS...this is the system I,ve used for quite some time...no problems :thumbsup:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does this apply to any purchases on line using a UK credit card even say an airline ticket. Would be a problem as it makes any UK cc useless. Must be very recent as i bought some items from Aliexpress using my card last month.

Edited by Henryford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your replies.Should be sorted now. I have used the credit card linked to Paypal since these changes came in , and that went through without needing an SMS sending to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the same with Natwest and had a great deal of trouble with them sending me a text message to my Thai SIM, but I persevered, at expense, calling them and getting them to understand and eventually I got them to use the correct number format for sending a text. All ok now and I can receive their texts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

I have the same with Natwest and had a great deal of trouble

I just started (within past few months) to get OTP to Thai SIM with NW. It worked first time for me, no troubles setting up at all. That said NW service still seems awful in terms of what I can do online to other foreign banks these days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, johnmell said:

Thanks for your replies.Should be sorted now. I have used the credit card linked to Paypal since these changes came in , and that went through without needing an SMS sending to me.

If your registered with Paypal Thailand then fine.....they (Paypal UK) would not allow me to make any purchases from the UK through my account as I was not living in the UK :whistling:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2020 at 8:57 PM, Eindhoven said:

+1 for GiffGaff - they'll post the SIM to Thailand, you register through the website and can top up with PayPal. Works for my Nationwide OTP no problem. Just need to send an SMS at least every six months to keep the SIM alive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stocky said:

+1 for GiffGaff - they'll post the SIM to Thailand, you register through the website and can top up with PayPal. Works for my Nationwide OTP no problem. Just need to send an SMS at least every six months to keep the SIM alive.

seconded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...