UK credit card OTP

johnmell

I have a UK credit card and they have recently introduced a new system where you need a UK mobile no., for them to text you an OTP when buying online.

Is there any easy way to get round this as I am living in Thailand.

Many thanks

Where abouts in Thailand.

In BKK easy. Get an M card. (SCB) It is a VISA debit card so simply add money to it before the purchase.

If not in Bangkok try applying on-line. Small cost 599 baht a year. https://www.mcardmall.com/en/home Nothing when you get it.

Don't go to SCB they are likely to know nothing about it.

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Where abouts in Thailand.

In BKK easy. Get an M card. (SCB) It is a VISA debit card so simply add money to it before the purchase.

If not in Bangkok try applying on-line. Small cost 599 baht a year. https://www.mcardmall.com/en/home Nothing when you get it.

Don't go to SCB they are likely to know nothing about it.

Unless I am reading this wrong that isn't going to help him use his UK credit card......

@johnmell this has been discussed in the forums but unfortunately I cannot find the relevant thread.

If you don't currently have a UK no. you may need to get hold of one. Perhaps get a friend/family member to send you a sim from Giff Gaff/Asda/Tesco or the like where you only need to make a chargeable event every 6 months and make sure you have credit on it.

You may be able to get the cc issuer to agree to you doing the authorisation by email - you can but ask although be careful if the card is still registered to a UK address.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topt said:

Unless I am reading this wrong that isn't going to help him use his UK credit card......

No but it will help him buy stuff online in/from Thailand and receive OTP code.

Works OK for me. Airline tickets, RC components, lazada, aliexpress. et al.,

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, johnmell said:

I can buy a UK sim as I am in the UK shortly.My concern is that when the credit card company send an sms to me, and i am in Thailand, it wont get here.

You can use UK sim in Thailand in roaming mode. You will need to switch your sim to UK one when you made purchase using your UK credit card to receive the OTP.

13 hours ago, johnmell said:

I can buy a UK sim as I am in the UK shortly.My concern is that when the credit card company send an sms to me, and i am in Thailand, it wont get here.

Get a Tesco PAYG sim and put it in an old/cheap phone if you don,t have a dual SIM one....to keep it active you need to make 1 chargeable call (SMS I use just 40 pence) per 6 months when your expecting your SMS from the CC company switch your phone on with the Tesco SIM in it a few minutes before to activate it and you will get the SMS...this is the system I,ve used for quite some time...no problems :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Does this apply to any purchases on line using a UK credit card even say an airline ticket. Would be a problem as it makes any UK cc useless. Must be very recent as i bought some items from Aliexpress using my card last month.

Edited by Henryford

56 minutes ago, bahtboy said:

I have the same with Natwest and had a great deal of trouble

I just started (within past few months) to get OTP to Thai SIM with NW. It worked first time for me, no troubles setting up at all. That said NW service still seems awful in terms of what I can do online to other foreign banks these days.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, johnmell said:

Thanks for your replies.Should be sorted now. I have used the credit card linked to Paypal since these changes came in , and that went through without needing an SMS sending to me.

If your registered with Paypal Thailand then fine.....they (Paypal UK) would not allow me to make any purchases from the UK through my account as I was not living in the UK :whistling:

On 1/10/2020 at 8:57 PM, Eindhoven said:

+1 for GiffGaff - they'll post the SIM to Thailand, you register through the website and can top up with PayPal. Works for my Nationwide OTP no problem. Just need to send an SMS at least every six months to keep the SIM alive.

4 hours ago, Stocky said:

+1 for GiffGaff - they'll post the SIM to Thailand, you register through the website and can top up with PayPal. Works for my Nationwide OTP no problem. Just need to send an SMS at least every six months to keep the SIM alive.

seconded.

On 1/9/2020 at 3:32 PM, johnmell said:

I have a UK credit card and they have recently introduced a new system where you need a UK mobile no., for them to text you an OTP when buying online.

Is there any easy way to get round this as I am living in Thailand.

Same with my Natwest debit card.

When I buy something online it says, "waiting for OTP" (my UK phone number no longer works), then it goes ahead with the charge. Did it this morning, no OTP, payment was made.

If they get serious about this I'll either need to pay by bank transfer, or use my Bangkok Bank debit card.

Edited by BritManToo

On 1/9/2020 at 3:32 PM, johnmell said:

How recently? Since last August when further implementation of the related anti-fraud scheme was supposedly put on hold for 18 months?

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-49332023

On 1/11/2020 at 9:31 AM, bahtboy said:

I have the same with Natwest and had a great deal of trouble with them sending me a text message to my Thai SIM, but I persevered, at expense, calling them and getting them to understand and eventually I got them to use the correct number format for sending a text. All ok now and I can receive their texts.

Same for me - the banks on-line form only accepted a UK number, but after speaking to their helpdesk they manually set up my Thai number in the system.  Works fine now.

58 minutes ago, Kinnock said:

Same for me - the banks on-line form only accepted a UK number, but after speaking to their helpdesk they manually set up my Thai number in the system.  Works fine now.

Ohh blast I hate phoning them..first stuck in the queue, then the "security questions"  try to explain the problem...they say its fixed  and then...just when you think its safe/really need to use it ...they didn't really fix the problem..so mad scramble to phone them again ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kinnock said:

I was going to do the same but is there a problem if you say you are living in Thailand. Maybe they will cancel your card if you are not UK resident.

47 minutes ago, Henryford said:

I was going to do the same but is there a problem if you say you are living in Thailand. Maybe they will cancel your card if you are not UK resident.

Not sure about other banks, but I specifically told them I was living here, which is why I needed the Thai number activated.  I do still have a UK address though, but all my statements are on line, so nothing gets sent there except any new cards, and I pick those up on my trips to UK to visit family

Edited by Kinnock