Cane-burning blamed for air pollution in Phetchabun

Jonathan Fairfield

Cane-burning blamed for air pollution in Phetchabun

n1.jpg

Smog from sugar-cane burning has led to intense air pollution in Phetchabun province for the past three days, according to a report on Thursday (January 9).

In this and other provinces, farmers burn the canes as a means of easing the harvesting process.

Smog generated from the practice have caused respiratory problems among some of the residents nearby, requiring treatment in hospitals.

Hazardous air pollutants from cane burning include carbon monoxide, volatile organic compounds, small particles and dust, according to the Office of the Cane and Sugar Board. 

These toxic emissions could cause irritation to people’s noses and throats, affecting their breathing if exposed to the air pollution for a long time.

Moreover, carbon monoxide can slow down the flow of blood while organic compounds with carbon component, such as Toluene, Methylene Chloride and Methyl Chloroform, are harmful to humans and plants.

Cane burning creates heat and rapid air pollution with the spread of dust and small particles, hovering 2,250 metres overhead, up to 16 kilometres from the fire.

Another cause of air pollution was the illegal burning of forest trees, according to the report. 

Despite social media posting on the cane-burning issue, none of the victims have revealed their identities, making it difficult for relevant agencies to take actions.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380323

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-09

I remember as well. Last year the government claimed they would refuse to buy burnt cane and also buy a massive fleet of harvesters from abroad for the farmers to make burning unnecessary. It does not seem either has happened. But these solutions may have no effect even if put into place 100%. In some places over the past few years where they refuse to buy burnt cane the farmers happily sell their green cane, then go back and burn their fields anyway.

16 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Despite social media posting on the cane-burning issue, none of the victims have revealed their identities, making it difficult for relevant agencies to take actions.

I am at a loss to figure out why the Authorities need victims to take action. 

Errrm excuse me , Do you see that bloody big field over there with flames reaching 10 metres into the sky, belching huge clouds of smoke.......you do.........ok then.....go and prosecute the owner.....you will presumably find the names on a chanote at the land office.

Oh, I see, it is a hi so with a big envelope..........all right, go back to your office........

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Smog from sugar-cane burning has led to intense air pollution in Phetchabun province for the past three days, according to a report on Thursday (January 9).

Some people just cannot change their ways...

Seems so easy to find and prosecute those who burn. I saw burning near udon thanni.  I understand it makes it easier to hand harvest but lower price at market.  I believe the hiso plan on farms to fail and have been and plan to buy up the farm land.  Then bring in the mechanical harvesters.  I know one hiso who owns 10+ bars and massage shops in bkk who has been buying farm land.  It is nice to see how nice he cares for the land.  He does still hand harvest because he says the labor costs and % waste is low. 

18 hours ago, GarryP said:

When are the authorities going to enforce the ban on agricultural burning? This is literally killing people. 

Never farmers might not support them then anymore and that would be disastrous. So they can't be firm with farmers. 

Archived