BANGKOK
Eibot

Moving from UK to Thailand with Thai wife and kids - Visa questions

Hello there,

Long time reader of Thai visa throughout the years, but a first time poster :).

Situation is as follows; 

I'm a Dutch national living in the UK with my Thai wife and two kids. We recently came to the conclusion that we weren't happy living here and would like to move back to Thailand (mother of the missus also nearing the end of her life). I'm an IT Freelancer and have several assignments running. One assignment is on a duration of 5 years and give me roughly 2300 pounds per month. Besides this I have other jobs that sometimes give me big lums of cash, but my salary on a monthly basis never drops lower than 2300 net.

My wife and I have been married (in Thailand) for 8 years and she is staying in the UK on a EEA resident permit. 

After reading into it, my understanding is that I would need to apply for a Non-Immigrant O Spouse visa here in the UK, and extend that into a marriage visa in Thailand. Is this correct?

Furthermore, there are a lot of conflicting information in regards to obtaining a Non-Immigrants O Spouse visa here in the UK. Do they need to see three months of bank statements? If so how much money does there need to be in the account? Or do they only need to see Income - money coming into my account monthly? A lot of information seems to be about Non-Immigrants O-A, which is not what I want since I'm not over 50.

Furthermore, since I invoice clients in The Netherlands, Do I need to pay Tax in Thailand (which I'm willing to do)?

I hope someone can point me to the right direction! Thank you in advance :)

• Like 1

Also once in Thailand, too obtain a marriage extension, do I need to have 400K or can I proof monthly income aswell? I see conflicting information on this as well. Thank you again.

What is you status in the UK. To apply for a Thai visa in London you will need proof of residency in the UK. The applications are done online now. See: https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/

The embassy website does not mention the amount of income.

"Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party

Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland"

Source: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#6

A single entry non-o visa would allow a 90 day entry that can be extended for one year based upon marriage to a Thai at the designated office for where you will be living. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the day you apply for it or proof of 40k baht income. Since you are from the Netherlands you would need to get proof of your income from the embassy in Bangkok.

Paying taxes here will be your choice since they do not strictly enforce it for transfers into the country. Income earned in previous years is not taxable.

• Like 1

What would be your situation once the UK leaves the EU, new passports and all that stuff?

8 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

What would be your situation once the UK leaves the EU, new passports and all that stuff?

I think you need to read the OP again.

4 hours ago, Eibot said:

I'm a Dutch national living in the UK with my Thai wife and two kids.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

What is you status in the UK. To apply for a Thai visa in London you will need proof of residency in the UK. The applications are done online now. See: https://thaievisa.go.th/Home/

The embassy website does not mention the amount of income.

"Financial evidence e.g. bank statements, proof of earnings, proof of sponsorship from a third party

Confirmation of legal residence in the UK or Ireland"

Source: http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/services/7742/84508-Non-Immigrant-visas.html#6

A single entry non-o visa would allow a 90 day entry that can be extended for one year based upon marriage to a Thai at the designated office for where you will be living. You will need 400k baht in a Thai bank in your name only for 2 months on the day you apply for it or proof of 40k baht income. Since you are from the Netherlands you would need to get proof of your income from the embassy in Bangkok.

Paying taxes here will be your choice since they do not strictly enforce it for transfers into the country. Income earned in previous years is not taxable.

Hi Joe,

Thank you for very much for your reply. I'm (or we) are permanent residence in the UK. Have been for the past 5 years. I have seen the financial evidence, but it still seems a little vague to me. How much would they expect, and from how long back. I will try to give the embassy a ring today in regards to that. In regards to the 40k baht income, why would the Dutch embassy need to proof that. And how would they? For the past five years, I had a UK bank account where my invoices are paid into. My plan is to open a Thai bank account as soon as I land in Thailand, and receive my invoices straight into my Thai bank. The invoices are from Dutch and Belgium commercial companies. 

In regards to taxes, could I get in trouble if they ask where my funds are coming from, and I honestly tell them I work online in Thailand? 

Thanks for your help again!

6 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Hi Chip,

For EU residence already living in the UK, nothing will change. They will have to apply for a settlement status, which is a 10 minutes free online process and they can stay and work in the UK for the rest of their lives. 

• Like 2

You are lucky that your Embassy still provides income certification for Thai Immigration but still best to maintain a bank account outside of Thailand and control your income into that account before you transfer it to a Thai Bank (Bangkok Bank is a good bet) so you can show TI where your funds come from. As you work on the web best to keep your options open as otherwise you will need a work permit in Thailand from a part Thai owned company. If you do get a work permit you will need advice on your Tax position. There are many Agents and Advisors that will help you through this process in Thailand starting with an extension of your visa. I chose to use an Agent for my first extension but since then have done it myself based on marriage.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eibot said:

In regards to taxes, could I get in trouble if they ask where my funds are coming from, and I honestly tell them I work online in Thailand?

Taxable and you need a work permit probably. and the timing of the mismatched Tax years 6th April - 5th April and 1 Jan - 31st Dec needs some planing. 

Less than 180 days in Thailand this year? Move income in Tax Free initially! But detaching from the UK tax system?

Edited by UKresonant

28 minutes ago, chilly07 said:

You are lucky that your Embassy still provides income certification for Thai Immigration

Hi Chilly,

Thank you for your response. 

Do you mean the Dutch Embassy? I don't understand how such a certificate works... I have nothing to do with the Dutch government, and the dutch government has nothing to do with my business. How would they be able to verify my income? Also, maintaining a bank account outside of Thailand seem to be difficult. It's impossible in the UK, nor can I open one in The Netherlands without having an adress. Luckily I have pretty good control over my invoices, and have agreed to be paid every 23rd of every month. This has been going well without issues for the past two years.  In other words, I would get an international payment every month on the 23rd into my bank account..

The work online & transfering the proceeds to a Thai bank (directly) may present a problem.

I do know of many though in similar situations as you explained  that use an offshore account for proceeds & move it into Thailand as needed

• Like 1

You have a company registered in the UK?

Or which business do you plan to use for invoicing your customers?

Edited by jackdd

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

You have a company registered in the UK?

Or which business do you plan to use for invoicing your customers?

Hi Jack,

I'm a sole trader here and use my own software (website) for invoicing. No LTD as I don't make more than 80k pounds per year..