Hurt British royals try to find exit route for Harry and Meghan

webfact

To a non Brit this is all a bit of a mystery to me.

Good Luck to them if they want to quit their job and go do something different.

Both are wealthy in their own right, so I can't imagine losing income from the British treasury is going to cramp their lifestyle much.

Payback the money it cost to refurbish Frogmore Cottage, and btw you Brits must have a very different definition of 'cottage' than that which we in the colonies have!

That won't make much of a dent in their overall wealth, and they are free to just live their lives.

I see them basically living a life similar to the Clooneys. Celebs Yes, but with some degree of privacy allowed to pursue their charitable works but without the constant hounding of the British tabloids

Edited by GinBoy2

1 hour ago, GinBoy2 said:

I see them basically living a life similar to the Clooneys. Celebs

Clooneys are not real celebrities. They appear in the media because they have a huge PR campaign behind them. If they stopped paying for that they would vanish from the public eye.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vogie said:

Labour MP Clive Lewis has called for a referendum on the Royal Family, gotta be another great vote winner for Labour.

You are right Vogie, unlikely to be popular. But then again Clive Lewis is just another c#ntinuity Corbyn candidate. He and long Bailey can't disappear soon enough for me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nigel Garvie said:

I appreciate your general sentiments, and if we are going to have any royals (For important jobs like opening supermarkets etc) then I would rather the Dutch or Norwegian style. 

The "personal properties" were grabbed once from the poor" remark is heartwarming, Tony Benn said exactly the same in his uplifting "How the rich got rich" speech in HoC. Sadly it is totally out of date, and on a little reflection rather silly (Still very noble though). Most of today's rich achieved their wealth through business and/or trade. Then there are the musicians like Paul MacCartney, Michael Jackson, etc, the great actors, and the great writers. No one is going to persuade me that J K Rowling became a billionaire by stealing from the poor. She wrote books that people wanted to buy, simple as that. She has given 10s of millions of £s to MS research. Bill Gates wrote some key programs that changed the computer world, and has given away Billions. 

Just not as simple as we would like to see it. The Royal family though, wealth apart, are a cornerstone of the British institution of privilege, best to put them out to grass, half of them look like horses anyway.

How true. 

The UK royals look alike those of Madame Tussaud's. Stiff upperlip and broomstick in the back, like zombies. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheDark said:

Britain...err England has become such an toxic place for foreigners to live that even members of the Royal family have to exit the wasteland. 

And now, obviously the 'patriotic' Englanders are extremely offended by "Why an Earth, someone so entitled could and would want to leave the best possible place in the World?!"

For me, a young couple made a hard decision that their lives, in a long run, would be better of being outside of the UK. 

Let them have their own lives. They are not royals as there is not such a thing as royal people. We are all alike, human. 

But that chick really skanky and trashed up the family photos.

As has been pointed out, the kind of people who try and ingratiate themselves with British Royals are exactly the kind of people they should be avoiding. Suddenly when Markle becomes "royal" vile people like the Clooneys and Hillary crawl out of the woodwork to ingratiate themselves - or were they friends when she was an afternoon TV actress? They would not have deigned to talk to her then. Using the Vancouver house of a "Russian Billionaire" could well prove to be an unwise decision. To continue with their lifestyle they are likely to accept more house stays, corporate jet/yacht use as "gifts" from people who it might we unwise to accept gifts from or even be associated with. Andrew and Epstein spring to mind as a precedent.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, mokwit said:

Clooneys are not real celebrities. They appear in the media because they have a huge PR campaign behind them. If they stopped paying for that they would vanish from the public eye.

But George comes from bonafide American royalty too. His auntie was 300lb Rosemary Clooney best known for singing the virtues of toilet paper in her waning career days, and his father was a  noted local news anchorman just like the  very famous Ron Burgundy.  Clooney's wife the noted human rights lawyer styled by the top fashion houses, has a lot in common with Markle when it comes to shallow opportunism,  although Amal is educated and well spoken. 

Frankly, I couldn't care less about Harry. He can get a cashier's job at Sainsbury's and aim for being employee of the month.

On 1/10/2020 at 7:44 AM, Chazar said:

Fine  remove  all their  monies and leave them to it, empty  all bank accs. She  goes  straight back to acting he  can go back to the army.

Well at least Harry did that and Megan also knows what a real job is!

I wished i could say the same about our Dutch King and his wife. She even told us this week that there ain't no real dutch people, they don't exist....the newcomers are as Dutch as the imported ones according to her (she's from Argentina in case you didn't know). I had great respect for her untill she spoke these words.

• Sad 1

15 hours ago, mokwit said:

They ruined the house pricing aystem on the shores of lake Como in Italy.

The locals have been completely shut out of the market because of the unrealistic rise in prices since they bought the Villa there.

6 minutes ago, mokwit said:

For me what is far worse is that they berated the little people and said "we" should do more for "refugees" when he had a 22 room mansion on Lake Como with "refugees" sleeping rough in a park down the road in Como but we never heard about him opening up the mansion for them to have a roof over their heads. I just despise virtue signaling hypocrites like that.

Share it fairly but don't take a slice of my pie.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mokwit said:

For me what is far worse is that they berated the little people and said "we" should do more for "refugees" when he had a 22 room mansion on Lake Como with "refugees" sleeping rough in a park down the road in Como but we never heard about him opening up the mansion for them to have a roof over their heads. I just despise virtue signaling hypocrites like that.

The Dutch royals even let extinction rebellion protest right in front of them while all camera's were filming them for national tv....any other protesters would have been removed but they were proud to let this happen.

So imo it's time to get rid of the European royals, brits, dutch or from whatever nation....they don't represent the average Joe anymore who pays their bills.

15 hours ago, mokwit said:

Oh dear mokwit, you clearly have some serious problem about the Clooneys, repeated in later posts ad nauseam. They are talented, highly intelligent, and whatever petty fault finding you might raise, actually contribute generously to charity. She is a top human rights lawyer who has taken a number of cases that she cares about deeply, on for free. He is a talented actor who has had huge success. Their riches have been gained by their own work. He is very handsome and she is beautiful. 

Not only are Harry and Meghan friends with these unspeakable Clooneys, but Hilary Clinton also - how awful is that!

Why use this topic which is about H & M to flaunt your right wing US political views?

Incidentally on the subject of charity, please note that the Trump family record has resulted in their charity being closed down, a $2M fine, and the brats being forcibly re-educated on what a charity actually means, and a ban on being allowed to run any charity in NY.  Glass houses - stones?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Oh dear mokwit, you clearly have some serious problem about the Clooneys

You got that part right. I can't stand virtue signaling hypocrites.

P.S I am English and consider myself an extreme centrist as many normal people are. I am no fan of the hawk Republicans and anyone who knows Trump's business dealing finds it hard to be a personal fan of the man. HTH. You had me boxed and labelled as a Trump supporter/hawk Republican for no other reason that  I don't like Liberals/false narratives, it seems.

PPS Do you work in PR on behalf of the Clooneys? Sure seems like it.

Edited by mokwit
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

39 minutes ago, Thian said:

The Dutch royals even let extinction rebellion protest right in front of them while all camera's were filming them for national tv....any other protesters would have been removed but they were proud to let this happen.

So imo it's time to get rid of the European royals, brits, dutch or from whatever nation....they don't represent the average Joe anymore who pays their bills.

I am not a Royal fan, I hate all this gushing about what they are wearing, how beautiful little baby 'what's his name' is etc. but they are a necessary focal point of the UK and its traditions, the alternative would be a colourless, grey suited president as Germany has which nobody can identify with. The only ones I like are Harry and Meghan and they have had enough of it unfortunately.

23 minutes ago, Nigel Garvie said:

Not only are Harry and Meghan friends with these unspeakable Clooneys, but Hilary Clinton also - how awful is that!

It makes them persona non grata in my book. Hillary is a vile false person IMO. Clooneys and H  are more likely to be using Meghan as a conduit to ingratiate themselves with British Royalty than actual real friends of Harry who I have always regarded as a fundamentally decent bloke (as are his Father and Grandfather IMO). According to a photographer assigned to him he has gone from a happy fun person to a moody unhappy one since his marriage.

Edited by mokwit

57 minutes ago, mokwit said:

It makes them persona non grata in my book. Hillary is a vile false person IMO. Clooneys and H  are more likely to be using Meghan as a conduit to ingratiate themselves with British Royalty than actual real friends of Harry who I have always regarded as a fundamentally decent bloke (as are his Father and Grandfather IMO). According to a photographer assigned to him he has gone from a happy fun person to a moody unhappy one since his marriage.

Seems you're taking it more than a bit personally, for what reason, I can't even begin to imagine. What's wrong with letting other people live their lives the way they want to, and if they don't want to be tied up in the straightjacket of royals traditions, what's wrong with that?

Or maybe you just don't like the idea he married a liberal American actress.....

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Seems you're taking it more than a bit personally, for what reason, I can't even begin to imagine. What's wrong with letting other people live their lives the way they want to, and if they don't want to be tied up in the straightjacket of royals traditions, what's wrong with that?

Or maybe you just don't like the idea he married a liberal American actress.....

Historically I have been generally pretty disinterested in the British Royal Family and certainly to the point of  their lives not making me take anything personally. (I'm commenting more than usual on threads on this board, including this one because things are slow and I am bored). However, once wokesters appeared in their entourage I ceased to have any regard for them. There is nothing wrong with him/them dropping the Royal he was born into without choice, and leading a normal life, but as pretty much everybody is correctly saying, there is no halfway in as he wants. Seems he wants to retain the right to cherry pick the best bits and despite what he says, indirectly the public funding. If his dad or granny want to fund him that is entirely their business and none of mine

Part of the personality traits/views held by Markle and associated with liberals contribute to me not liking her. Ultimately I dislike her as I see her as something of an ambitious climber (please don't try and twist this into some kind of racial inference- race/nationality doesn't come into it) . I don't really want to go there as, while I doubt that Harry is on this board. I don't want to say unpleasant things about someone anyone obviously cares deeply for. Time will IMO show Harry realising he has made a mistake, but right now love is blind. IMO it will end in divorce - maybe not originated from his side. It is not actually that bid a deal to me, as I said, I am appearing to be more interested maybe in the British Royal Family than I actually am.

Likewise any attempts by the British Royals to think they can garner popularity by going full Liberal will in time be shown to be a mistake as the media creates the impression that these views have more support than they really do. Check out any comments section.

Edited by mokwit

5 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Historically I have been generally pretty disinterested in the British Royal Family and certainly to the point of  their lives not making me take anything personally. (I'm commenting more than usual on threads on this board, including this one because things are slow and I am bored). However, once wokesters appeared in their entourage I ceased to have any regard for them. There is nothing wrong with him/them dropping the Royal he was born into without choice, and leading a normal life, but as pretty much everybody is correctly saying, there is no halfway in as he wants. Seems he wants to retain the right to cherry pick the best bits and despite what he says, indirectly the public funding. If his dad or granny want to fund him that is entirely their business and none of mine

Part of the personality traits/views held by Markle and associated with liberals contribute to me not liking her. Ultimately I dislike her as I see her as something of an ambitious climber (please don't try and twist this into some kind of racial inference- race/nationality doesn't come into it) . I don't really want to go there as, while I doubt that Harry is on this board. I don't want to say unpleasant things about someone anyone obviously cares deeply for. Time will IMO show Harry realising he has made a mistake, but right now love is blind. IMO it will end in divorce - maybe not originated from his side. It is not actually that bid a deal to me, as I said, I am appearing to be more interested maybe in the British Royal Family than I actually am.

Likewise any attempts by the British Royals to think they can garner popularity by going full Liberal will in time be shown to be a mistake as the media creates the impression that these views have more support than they really do. Check out any comments section.

It sounds like your personal political views have more to do with your critical postings on the Harry-Meghan issue than anything directly to do with what they're doing and what they're trying to accomplish -- leading a private life outside of their royal encumberments.

But I will agree on one thing -- they really ought to be in or out when it comes to public funding/support from British taxpayers/government. If they don't want to be royals, which in my opinion is entirely their right to decide, then the taxpayers and government shouldn't be supporting them. Fair is fair.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

It sounds like your personal political views have more to do with your critical postings on the Harry-Meghan issue than anything directly to do with what they're doing and what they're trying to accomplish -- leading a private life outside of their royal encumberments.

There is some truth to that, it is Markle using her Royal position to grandstand her politics that is bothering me about that couple. There is a fine line between personal views and politicking and I feel she has crossed that line into politicking. I believe that is amajor contribution to her unpopularity with alarge sector of the British public. If you use your position to push political/wokester positions then there is a right to reply - by individuals and the media. I think she has finished the Sussexes in the UK and that is likely a main driver of this decision.

I think everybody forgives her for many many things, for not knowing/forgetting Royal protocol etc for example, which I think should not be highlighted by the media - she wasn't schooled in British Royal Protocol by Nannny at age 2 <deleted>. People, but not some media give her a break on that.

Edited by mokwit

1 minute ago, Oxx said:

Stuff and nonsense.  England welcomes vast numbers of illegal economic migrants and so called "asylum seekers", as well as hordes of worthless East Europeans (drug dealers, people traffickers, thieves, pickpockets, &c.).  These people get services for which they have never contributed, and are treated far better than British natives and expats who've paid British taxes their entire adult lives.  Plus they are a drain upon social security, schools, doctors and hospitals, and disproportionately clog up our prisons.

I suspect that the pro-Brexit vote was driven, at least in part, by the desire to rid the Kingdom of these unworthy and unwelcome types.  Of course, in reality it's only useless Europeans that can be told to go home.  The North Africans and Muslims from the Indian subcontinent are here to stay.

The only place the England has become toxic for is the English white man.

I think that your diatribe has just reinforced the point made by TheDark.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1