Detained in Myanmar: Chiang Rai retiree claims he was arrested after driving his car over the border

6 hours ago, bluejets said:

Read what it actually says.....

He said he was being detained on the second floor of a police station in the town of Bokpyin 900 kms from Myawaddy where he crossed into Myanmar

Town of Bokpyin is 900 km away from the nearest border crossing called Myawaddy. How he drove this far without being noticed at many police checkpoints along the way is a mystery to me.

16 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

My idea is to make this tour in October from Chiang Mai with my own in Thailand registered car. Which permits do I need?Reiseplan.JPG.5a0da95789e7e96be42fd536426d3772.JPG 

You will need Myanmar Overland Permit. You need to go through a travel agency for this permit and need to have a license guide along the trip in the car.

• Sad 1
4 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

You will need Myanmar Overland Permit. You need to go through a travel agency for this permit and need to have a license guide along the trip in the car.

Oh, and I have to pay for the guide, his food and accommodation I guess. That´s for sure not what I want. Then I will travel to another country. What a pity.  

• Like 1

"Police say it is a violation of section 5 and 8 of the Export Import Law."

and then:

"No one can specify the name of the Law and Article number as legal basis (for my arrest).

He is making no sense at all.

"Makoto has experience about crossing land borders around the world - he has made several trips around the globe using his own transport."

Should have known better then. 

On 1/10/2020 at 4:55 PM, Chazar said:

Wife already helped  one Japanese  man  after being imprisoned here due to agents running off with money for  work permits and visas, he was held  for over  2  weeks and finally deported, result, he closed his Thai company the 10 Thai   staff lost their  jobs and the big  boss in Japan relocated the whole lot to the Phillipines........... immigration can be very VERY  stupid

Yes but they made a lot of face and maybe a big poster. Can't get better than that.