Get your chips cards, magnetic ATM cards to be invalid from Jan 15: BOT

Get your chips cards, magnetic ATM cards to be invalid from Jan 15: BOT

By THE NATION

800_d54b3af557c7060.jpg?v=1578623666

The deadline for switching from magnetic ATM cards to chip cards is coming closer and after January 15, all magnetic cards will become invalid, Siritida Panomwon na Ayudhya, Bank of Thailand Assistant Governor of Payment Systems Policy and Financial Department, said.

“The central bank in cooperation with the Thai Bankers Association and financial institutions has been urging card holders to change their magnetic cards to chip cards, in order to enhance safety in credit and debit card usage and prevent counterfeit card fraud and skimming,” she said.

The switch was expected to be completed by the end of 2019, as 47 million magnetic cards had already been converted to chip cards, leaving some 20 million magnetic cards nationwide.

“Magnetic cards holders can change their cards at any branch of their respective banks or financial institutions free of charge. Required documents are ID card, existing magnetic card and bank passbook,” said the assistant governor.

“After January 15, magnetic cards will be unusable at ATMs and credit card machines at retail shops. However, card owners can still make a cash withdrawal or transfer money at bank’s tellers, via mobile banking and internet banking as alternatives,” she added.

640_7ak5abbdghbe8bkahab7e.jpg

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380349

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-10

2 hours ago, webfact said:

The deadline for switching from magnetic ATM cards to chip cards is coming closer and after January 15, all magnetic cards will become invalid, Siritida Panomwon na Ayudhya, Bank of Thailand Assistant Governor of Payment Systems Policy and Financial Department, said.

This is concerning ATM cards issued by Thai banks.

AFAIK foreign 'all magnetic cards' will still work.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, SteveK said:

Is this for real? In 5 days my ATM card won't work?

If it's issued by a Thai bank it will not work.

As the article says, you can change it for a new chip & pin card at your branch for free.

Edited by bluesofa

A wake up call for those who have missed the messages over almost a year or so.

Changed last magnetic card in June (Kasikorn hinted at the ATM many months ago).

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SteveK said:

Just checked mine and it has a chip. Thank coconuts for that.

So has my Bangkok Bank debit card, however I kept getting messages on the ATMs that I needed to do something about changing it??

So I went into the bank yesterday and it was lucky that I did because as of the 15th of this month, according to the bank manager, it will cease to work, and after that particular time has elapsed, it will cost me something like 300 baht to change it, whereas now it is free – – so my Visa debit card has now been switched to a MasterCard debit card, complete with a new and longer pin number.

• Thanks 1

Yep mine from SCB needs changing and wont work on my next arrival. Had read it previously from a thread on TV but certainly hadnt received any SMS (roaming is enabled) or email

Will pop up the Bank day after arrival but am expecting to pay lol

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

Is this for real? In 5 days my ATM card won't work?

Thats correct ! If you have the old card and a 4 Digit PIN, you will have to change to the new card with a 6 Digit PIN.

And the news statement above is incorrect

I changed my card the other day and the service was not free!  ( 5th Jan )

My bank charged me a fee of 599 Baht for this " free service ". I was not a happy Bunny I can tell you

When I inquired if this was a " Farang only Fee " , I was assured that ALL customers had to pay it.

So that will be 20 Million X 599 Baht ... Thankyou for all the cards that now need changing

They did this to me at my bank on the Philippines - changed without any information to chip cards. Every 2 years I withdrew a small amount from this account here at ATMs in Thailand that it doesn't get dormant until it didn't work anymore. The bank on the Philippines told me - no problem come and pick up your new card for free. There is no way to send it to you to Thailand. I think many people using their old Thai ATM card in a foreign country will face similar problems...

4 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Thats correct ! If you have the old card and a 4 Digit PIN, you will have to change to the new card with a 6 Digit PIN.

My bank charged me a fee of 599 Baht for this " free service ". I was not a happy Bunny I can tell you

When I inquired if this was a " Farang only Fee " , I was assured that ALL customers had to pay it.

So that will be 20 Million X 599 Baht ... Thankyou for all the cards that now need changing

I've had two SCB accounts with the card replaced free and a Bangkok Bank account free too.

Something doesn't smell right, although having said that, the changeover date was supposed to be 1st January, but was extended to 15th Jan.

Perhaps someone was 'over zealous' in charging you on the 5th, but is is definitely not a 'ferang only fee' regarding the issuing of chip & pin cards.

13 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Which bank was that? My ktb card doesn't have a chip so hopefully it isn't them. If they try to charge me for it then I'll be closing the account.

Edited by alien365
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Chivas said:

Yep mine from SCB needs changing and wont work on my next arrival. Had read it previously from a thread on TV but certainly hadnt received any SMS (roaming is enabled) or email

Will pop up the Bank day after arrival but am expecting to pay lol

Same here as we've discussed before @Chivas

And same comment applies regarding SMS and/or email.

I'll be arriving in Thailand Feb 5th and will try to remember to update one or both of the threads as to what actually happens.

Edited by VBF
  • Like 1

SWMBO and I went to SCB to swap our non-chipped cards, two for her, one for me, plus my chipped card is worn out, often fails, numbers illegible, even though it has 4 years to expiry.

It turns out that one of each of our cards carries accident insurance. We did not know. It turns out that "free" insurance costs us 599 p.a. We did not know.

My card has just renewed, auto-deduction of 599 from my account last month.

Hers is due this month, not yet charged.

Neither of is eligible for the insurance, as we are both over 65!

So, it is not a straight replacement foc!  "Cannot, mai dai".

I am refunded 599 for the renewal, and charged 100 for the new downgraded card. SWBO is refunded nothing, and charged 100 for the new card. I am charged 150 for a replacement card, one of hers is actually replaced foc. Nett cost to me:- 350.

Nothing credited for the invalid insurance I have paid for for five years, albeit unknowingly.

Read the small Thai print, folks.?

BTW, that's another 1 1/2hours of my life wasted in the bank, and RSI from signing <deleted> documents!

Edited by Grusa

My Kasikorn card is chipped already, though I haven't used it in a while, I use the "cardless withdrawal" now.  My reasoning is that if I don't use the physical card, there's nothing to copy/steal at the ATM.  Unless someone knows differently?

19 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Wrong Sherlock. Just rang the bank I can use my Debit card until it expires in 2022 it's got A Chip and a 4 Digit Pin. You said that one has to get a new card with a chip and 6 Digit Pin. :thumbsup:

“Magnetic cards holders can change their cards at any branch of their respective banks or financial institutions free of charge. 

“At any branch” ? ....Not according to Bangkok Bank, my account is at Sukhumwit but now that I am living in Ubon I cannot change it here, have to go back to Bangkok to do it. I even pointed it out on their website but the branch (Central, Ubon) and their call center are adamant they cannot change it here.

Well I am not going back to BKK just to get a new card so I have transferred the 400k minimum for my visa into my new Krungsri account here already via ATM, and will take great pleasure in withdrawing the remains 500k or so in cash next time I go to town.

( must remember to update passbook first just to prove I kept the min. 400k for Immigration at all times !)

Update

First I must correct the Date that I went to change the initial card. 

It was 3rd Jan .. NOT 5th as I previously stated.

Today 13th jan, I went to my Bank Branch and showed this article to a teller, who did not understand, and got irate at me, and told me to wait for the original teller.

I then showed this article to the original teller, who fully understood, and said there had been a mistake. 

His reason was that his Main Office in Bangkok had not informed him ( or any other Branch ) of the changed Date from the 1st Jan to 15th Jan, until 5th Jan via email.

I find this absolutely ridiculous, that nobody could be bothered to notify their Branchs of the change until at least 5 Days after the event

Pathetic Service in this day and age

The upshot of this was that I had to go through a whole new procedure for the Card, to get yet another new one, and then my money ( 599 Baht ) was returned to my account.

I went to change my Bangkok Bank 'Visa' card today. Initially the lady tried to give me a new ATM Mastercard but this carried a B300 annual fee. I asked for a 'free' alternative and ended up with a UnionPay ATM with no annual fee. As I only use this card at Bangkok Bank ATMs I am not bothered about being part of the MasterCard network.

On 1/14/2020 at 11:44 AM, Harry2 said:

I went to change my Bangkok Bank 'Visa' card today. Initially the lady tried to give me a new ATM Mastercard but this carried a B300 annual fee. I asked for a 'free' alternative and ended up with a UnionPay ATM with no annual fee. As I only use this card at Bangkok Bank ATMs I am not bothered about being part of the MasterCard network.

Probably not no annual fee.  Probably just no fee to change your old card to this card.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/10/2020 at 11:00 AM, VBF said:

Same here as we've discussed before @Chivas

And same comment applies regarding SMS and/or email.

I'll be arriving in Thailand Feb 5th and will try to remember to update one or both of the threads as to what actually happens.

Hiya @VBF

Was no charge at all from SCB for new Smartcard. I did smile very sweetly (always works lol). I'd imagine though all SCB account holders are free for the upgrade. I was expecting 300/600 Baht based on other responses on various threads

Edited to add 6 digit pincode now

Edited by Chivas

5 hours ago, Chivas said:

Hiya @VBF

Was no charge at all from SCB for new Smartcard. I did smile very sweetly (always works lol). I'd imagine though all SCB account holders are free for the upgrade. I was expecting 300/600 Baht based on other responses on various threads

Edited to add 6 digit pincode now

Thanks @Chivas I shall find out next week when I arrive in Patts.

Just OOI, at which branch do you have your account, and was it simply show bank book and passport (apart from the cheeky grin of course) ????