Get your chips cards, magnetic ATM cards to be invalid from Jan 15: BOT

2 hours ago, VBF said:

Thanks @Chivas I shall find out next week when I arrive in Patts.

Just OOI, at which branch do you have your account, and was it simply show bank book and passport (apart from the cheeky grin of course) ????

SCB just off Pattaya Klang junction. Yes you need passport because that gets photocopied again with updated details of the Smartcard.... I took old card which she cut up and passbook just to be safe

Edited by Chivas

1 hour ago, Chivas said:

SCB just off Pattaya Klang junction. Yes you need passport because that gets photocopied again with updated details of the Smartcard.... I took old card which she cut up and passbook just to be safe

Excellent!  Same branch as me - and I shall do the same. I want the book updated anyway.

Just sent you a PM

Edited by VBF

If you got charged more than 300 for a replacement card, you're getting scammed into an expensive card with yearly fee for accident insurance or other perks.

It used to be that if you ask for a cheaper card, they'd say there's a week wait for the card to arrive, whereas with the expensive one you can walk out the door today with one. A call to corporate asking if you can get a 'normal' card usually solves that

On 1/11/2020 at 11:30 AM, digger70 said:

Wrong Sherlock. Just rang the bank I can use my Debit card until it expires in 2022 it's got A Chip and a 4 Digit Pin. You said that one has to get a new card with a chip and 6 Digit Pin. :thumbsup:

Me too, my Bangkok Bank card has a 4-digit pin and is chipped but it has an August '20 expiry so no doubt I'll wind up with a 6 digit pin. I carried over my UK 4-digit pin which I remember easily and was allowed to change it on the Bangkok Bank card. If it goes to 6 digits and I am allowed to set my own I'll use the old 4 digit and chuck a couple of zeros at the end if possible. 

36 minutes ago, cliveshep said:

Me too, my Bangkok Bank card has a 4-digit pin and is chipped but it has an August '20 expiry so no doubt I'll wind up with a 6 digit pin. I carried over my UK 4-digit pin which I remember easily and was allowed to change it on the Bangkok Bank card. If it goes to 6 digits and I am allowed to set my own I'll use the old 4 digit and chuck a couple of zeros at the end if possible. 

Sure you could just use a couple extra zero's but I recommend you use something else...or at least not use 0 in one of the last two spaces.  Just begin thinking about a six digit number that would be easy for you to remember.  And there other ways you could recycle/repeat some of the numbers in your current 4 digit PIN which would be easy to remember and probably better/safer than just throwing in two zeros.   Think about it some more.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2020 at 1:12 PM, VBF said:

Excellent!  Same branch as me - and I shall do the same. I want the book updated anyway.

Just sent you a PM

VBF sneaky sods lol. Went on app yesterday to check they had updated card (so you can lock it off inbetween usage...they hadnt lol) to find a 200 Baht deduction. It includes the word "fees"

Can only be one reason the new card lol

7 hours ago, Chivas said:

VBF sneaky sods lol. Went on app yesterday to check they had updated card (so you can lock it off inbetween usage...they hadnt lol) to find a 200 Baht deduction. It includes the word "fees"

Can only be one reason the new card lol

Ho Hum.

I've arrived in Patts and will go to SCB on Thursday. I wonder if that's you annual card fee?

I suppose the only way you'll know is if they charge you again on the expected fee date.

I'll repeat what you did and report back

1 hour ago, VBF said:

Ho Hum.

I've arrived in Patts and will go to SCB on Thursday. I wonder if that's you annual card fee?

I suppose the only way you'll know is if they charge you again on the expected fee date.

I'll repeat what you did and report back

Its possible its the new annual fee date but the previous annual deduction on my account was 1st August....could be a one off (we were expecting to pay something in reality) or as you say possibly a new annual fee date

On 2/5/2020 at 11:14 AM, Chivas said:

Its possible its the new annual fee date but the previous annual deduction on my account was 1st August....could be a one off (we were expecting to pay something in reality) or as you say possibly a new annual fee date

@Chivas in particular:

So I visited SCB on Thursday 6th Feb

New SMART card issued, book updated, other business completed.

One lady said I WOULD have to pay for the new card.

Another who actually ISSUED the card, said "No it's free" ????

The latter lady also confirmed that my annual 200 Baht fee will be taken in April as in previous years.

I used the new card to withdraw cash at the ATM outside the bank. Slip issued - correct NO fee, balance correct.

Today, Friday 7th Feb I logged on to Internet banking.

Everything as I hoped - cash withdrawal shown, NO fee. balance correct.

So I seem to be OK but, as ever, left hand, right hand......TIT????

Edited by VBF

7 minutes ago, VBF said:

@Chivas in particular:

So I visited SCB on Thursday 6th Feb

New SMART card issued, book updated, other business completed.

One lady said I WOULD have to pay for the new card.

Another who actually ISSUED the card, said "No it's free" ????

The latter lady also confirmed that my annual 200 Baht fee will be taken in April as in previous years.

I used the new card to withdraw cash at the ATM outside the bank. Slip issued - correct NO fee, balance correct.

Today, Friday 7th Feb I logged on to Internet banking.

Everything as I hoped - cash withdrawal shown, NO fee. balance correct.

So I seem to be OK but, as ever, left hand, right hand......TIT????

Yes I went 29th January and fee didnt show until 3rd Feb being a Monday.

Am not bothered obviously. Card is obviously more secure.  Used to be able to lock off card for usage via app but thats disappeared completely currently. It was up to couple days still showing old card it may be a case of its being updated currently on app (taking their time if they are)