Tourist injured in MC accident on oil slick road

Rimmer

Tourist injured in MC accident on oil slick road

1370-N2-Jan-07-05-Foreigner-bike-slips.j

PATTAYA:--A motorcyclist was injured when he skidded on oil spilled from a truck in South Pattaya.

The unidentified foreigner suffered a broken arm and was transported to a local hospital following the Jan. 7 accident outside Rungland Village on South Road.

Witnesses said the oil came from a tanker truck transporting waste oil for disposal. Its tank was leaking, leaving a trail of oil throughout South Pattaya.

City workers laid sand on top of the oil trail while police were dispatched to track down and ticket the offending truck, last seen headed up Soi Khopai.

-- PATTAYA MAIL 2020-01-10—

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Rimmer said:

Witnesses said the oil came from a tanker truck transporting waste oil for disposal. Its tank was leaking, leaving a trail of oil throughout South Pattaya.

Safety First ...as usual :wacko:

I hope that the police will do their job until the end and therefore find the truck and its driver awkward;

while police were dispatched to track down and ticket the offending truck, last seen headed up Soi Khopai. )
because who will pay the foreigner's hospital bill with broken arms?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

If he has one ...
Thailand is truly a country apart in the world of insurance.
In an accident between two vehicles, it is the insurance of the faulty vehicle which pays the material and human costs of the other vehicle;
it is in any case like that in a civilized country;
but this is not the case in Thailand.
I therefore consider this country as uncivilized

It said he was a tourist so I suspect a rented vehicle, he could be liable for any damage to the bike. I would expect (or hope), the bike has the compulsory insurance, it is needed to get the tax paid. I just looked at my CTPL insurance, all in Thai, but I did believe it covered personal accident to a limit. Whether that carries to a rental or it had renter's insurance, I suspect not!

8 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

It said he was a tourist so I suspect a rented vehicle,

Hope it has the PoLoBo ;

but hope also the tourist has the good driving license for driving a motorcycle ;

if he has not this good driving license the insurance company will say him : it's your problem, not ours ...

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

it is the insurance of the faulty vehicle which pays the material and human costs of the other vehicle;

Except if the driver is a farang; I was hit by two underage/helmetless/licenceless boys on a bike whilst waiting to turn right.  Both the cop arriving ten minutes later and my Englishless insurance agent both agreed it was my fault despite being stationary.  Don't go with Thannachart.

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

Except if the driver is a farang; I was hit by two underage/helmetless/licenceless boys on a bike whilst waiting to turn right.  Both the cop arriving ten minutes later and my Englishless insurance agent both agreed it was my fault despite being stationary.  Don't go with Thannachart.

U should have moved out of the way mike...whether you saw them coming or not...pesky foreign drivers :cheesy:

• Haha 1

On 1/11/2020 at 3:10 AM, mikebell said:

That could be either because the motorbike riders were long gone or that they didn't have insurance.

Edited by Eindhoven

On 1/10/2020 at 4:10 PM, jacko45k said:

It said he was a tourist so I suspect a rented vehicle, he could be liable for any damage to the bike. I would expect (or hope), the bike has the compulsory insurance, it is needed to get the tax paid. I just looked at my CTPL insurance, all in Thai, but I did believe it covered personal accident to a limit. Whether that carries to a rental or it had renter's insurance, I suspect not!

30k baht medical cover, 80k if not your fault

Screenshot_20180907-103234.png

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

30k baht medical cover, 80k if not your fault

That appears to only cover 3rd party, but goes on to tell me cover if I am not at fault... I don't understand that! If so, one would be dependent on the other party's insurance, if there is one, if he has insurance, if he was responsible, if he accepts he was (unlikely, locals always innocent) and if the Thai policemen agrees (optimistic!). In the OP he hit oil so no 3rd party! 

As it is I have taken out supplementary insurance for myself wrt the motorbike, at the time it was sold to me, many years ago, on the basis of a farang needing a higher bail bond than a Thai needed, and the CTPL did not cover it, this did!

Edited by jacko45k

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

That appears to only cover 3rd party, so one would be dependent on the other party's insurance, if there is one, if he has insurance, if he was responsible, if he accepts he was (unlikely, locals always innocent) and if the Thai policemen agrees (optimistic!). In the OP he hit oil so no 3rd party! 

As it is I have taken out supplementary insurance for myself wrt the motorbike, at the time it was sold to me, many years ago, on the basis of a farang needing a higher bail bond than a Thai needed, and the CTPL did not cover it, this did!

Another thread currently running on the subject, mixed responses whether covered or not

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

That could be either because the motorbike riders were long gone or that they didn't have insurance.

They were both hospitalised (one lost his spleen) after hitting me at 90kph - I took photos.  My insurance cheerfully paid for their medical fees.

52 minutes ago, mikebell said:

They were both hospitalised (one lost his spleen) after hitting me at 90kph - I took photos.  My insurance cheerfully paid for their medical fees.

I think it was a case of you being the only insured driver there so the policeman saw it as justified to blame you. The same as my neighbour who was hit by a kid (no licence, no insurance) coming the wrong way. She had to sign to get the police report and accept blame else her insurance could not pay up, and cover the kids hospital bill and her repairs. They all felt this was correct.