Leaked audio tape: Big Joke criticizes RTP chief as shooting and alleged corruption fallout comes to a boil

webfact

Leaked audio tape: Big Joke criticizes RTP chief as shooting and alleged corruption fallout comes to a boil

ZZ.jpg

File photo

A senior Royal Thai police spokesman has admitted that an audio tape leaked to social media is a conversation between the RTP commander and Pol Gen Wirachai Songmetta.

The commander is Pol Gen Chakthip Chaijinda (who is currently abroad) and Wirachai has been central to the investigation of the shooting at the car of former immigration chief Lt-Gen Surachate "Big Jok" Hakparn on Monday. 

Deputy spokesman Pol Col Krissana Pattancharoen was reported by Thai Rath as saying that this was a private conversation. He attempted to play down its importance suggesting that it was a usual sort of communication one might expect between two senior policemen. 

He did, however, say that leaking such a conversation was a breach of trust and questioned the motives of someone who would do such a thing.

Elsewhere in the Thai and English language media all manner of accusations were flying as Big Joke ramped up criticism of Chakthip and the force in general as well as the current investigation into the shooting incident. 

The self-styled and charismatic Big Joke was removed from his job as immigration chief last April and given clerical duties in the PM's office. No reason was ever given but now details are emerging of a major rift between Chakthip and his former star underling, notes Thaivisa. 

TNN reported that Surachate had given evidence to the police investigating the shooting at his Lexus on Monday. Surachate was allegedly in a massage establishment in Surawong and was unhurt. 

Surachate took aim at the chief of the RTP suggesting that what he was heard saying on the tape was not becoming of a senior policeman. He admitted it was a private conversation but now it was in the public domain he suggested that he was disappointed on hearing such statements from the chief. 

Elsewhere it was reported that on the tape Chakthip could be heard warning Wirachai that the Metropolitan Police Bureau were investigating the shooting so he should step back and wait for the bureau to report their findings. 

He also suggested that the police general should not take orders from a "police lieutenant general" and should not do anything that would make his boss lose trust in him. 

Thaivisa notes that Pol Lt-Gen is clearly a reference to Big Joke.  

Media also reported that DPM Prawit - known to be a friend, confidant and promoter of Big Joke and his career - has acknowledged that there is bad blood between Chakthip and Surachate. He confirmed that Chakthip is currently abroad. 

Meanwhile a prominent lawyer has called on the National Anti Corruption Commission to investigate General Chakthip and three other prominent policemen regarding their role in the procurement of the 2 billion baht immigration biometrics system.

While Surachate was head of immigration he had voiced his concerns that the system was a waste of public money and should be scrapped, notes Thaivisa. 

However, it was implemented and subsequently Surachate found himself shuffling paper and no explanation was given.

He claims that the biometrics system and what he has to say about it is central to the shooting case. 

Source: Thairath | TNN Thailand

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-10

For me everything what happens AFTER the shooting is more interesting and exiting than the shooting itself. If the case is closed I am waiting for a movie about it. But I guess the audience will say "too unrealistic" - if it´s not Thai. All Thais: "yes, that´s typically for our government".

Meanwhile a prominent lawyer has called on the National Anti Corruption Commission to investigate General Chakthip and three other prominent policemen regarding their role in the procurement of the 2 billion baht immigration biometrics system.

Good start on what is a total waste of money other developing nations I travel to have dropped this system. they must have got a big discount last year it was 4 billion baht.

Now all those articles in the news about how the new biometric system had caught this or that criminal make sense.....they were placed by the PR agency to build support for the system. 

Is it worth $60million? I don't know but it has caught 3 criminals at least.....$20 million per criminal, is that good value for money? Personally if they had caught about 600 criminals one would say at $100,000 per criminal it would be expensive. This sounds like the RTP version of the fake bomb the army bought at great expense.....or the purchase of submarines. Great to see public money being handled with such care and going to such good and useful purposes.

1 hour ago, legend49 said:

Good start on what is a total waste of money other developing nations I travel to have dropped this system. they must have got a big discount last year it was 4 billion baht.

Why have other developing countries dropped it? Is it because technological advances have made it obsolete and outdated? or is it not fit for purpose?

I mean at the moment, the Thais are now talking about introducing the ' iris scan ' for their own nationals. I saw such a system ( excuse the pun) in operation in Abu Dhabi, and it seemed very efficient. I am unsure if this type of scan will be introduced for foreigners after them spending these sums on their much heralded biometrics system.

What I do always find comical is why the Thais always have to put it in the public domain how much such things cost at every opportunity.

1 minute ago, Misterwhisper said:
2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Yeah, too true. The winner might be the survivor.

Outwit, outplay outlast?

survivor.png

Perhaps all the 'players' could be fitted with the new RTP video cams, streaming the output in real-time to a TV channel.

The biometrics test in Thailand is fingers of both hands, plus thumbs. One screen, two operations, ten data points for the computer to process.

The Malaysian biometric test is both index fingers. One screen, one operation, two data points.

Possibly Big Joke was correct in saying it was a waste of money. Being right in Thailand can be a hazardous occupation when face is involved. Or money.

56 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

If he hasn't done already Surachate urgently needs to seek personal protection. 

And it may be just as well NOT to ask the police to provide it. 

Rooster

You'd pretty much have to have a death wish to volunteer as personal protection for a guy who has a target on his back in size second to only Soleimani; and, we all know how that worked out. 

Ok, at least we now know why Big Joke suddenly fell out of favour. There seems to have been a break down in the relationship between him and his boss (the police chief).

However, Big Joke had the support of the Deputy PM during his tenure, but evidently lost this. There is only one person higher than the Deputy PM in the government.

One big question is how much money was paid to whom during the procurement of the biometrics system. As they say, follow the money and you will find the answers!

2 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

Ok, at least we now know why Big Joke suddenly fell out of favour.

One big question is how much money was paid to whom during the procurement of the biometrics system.

Big Joke had the support of the Deputy PM during his tenure, but evidently lost this. There is only one person higher than the Deputy PM in the government.

As they say, follow the money and you will find the answers!

Prayuth may be higher in the Government but he certainly is not as powerful as Prawit. He is the big.

WOW !!! ...  So What Can I say !!! ... VERY Interesting !!! ....

I like Big Joke I think ! ? ... But the Bio-metric System is relevant new tech, and all nations have it now I think ? ... I guess that it is just Corruption, and the Creaming off Money as usual. ???

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Why have other developing countries dropped it? Is it because technological advances have made it obsolete and outdated? or is it not fit for purpose?

I mean at the moment, the Thais are now talking about introducing the ' iris scan ' for their own nationals. I saw such a system ( excuse the pun) in operation in Abu Dhabi, and it seemed very efficient. I am unsure if this type of scan will be introduced for foreigners after them spending these sums on their much heralded biometrics system.

What I do always find comical is why the Thais always have to put it in the public domain how much such things cost at every opportunity.

Perhaps they should publish two figures, first how much it costs and second how much money was used purchasing it.

18 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

" ... But the Bio-metric System is relevant new tech, and all nations have it now I think ? ... I guess that it is just Corruption, and the Creaming off Money as usual. ???"

Yes answered in other fellows mails above, it is probably an Old Tech System, and probably not as good as other better new ones, that they could get, .... and well Our Good Bro Joke ... He is Probably IT Savvy ...   and Knows !!! .... ...  And then there is the Corruption.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Perhaps all the 'players' could be fitted with the new RTP video cams, streaming the output in real-time to a TV channel.

Yes, that could indeed become the reality show of the millennium! But I have a different concept in mind:

Just cram them all together on one tiny island and document how they're screwing one another just as they do in real life. And as they're eventually offing each other until only one is left, the action could be accentuated by cutting in all those bells and whistles and boings and bangs that we all have come to know - and despise - from Thai game shows. 

Besides prize money equivalent to a sophisticated biometric system, the sole winner additionally would be presented with an extensive luxury wristwatch collection, of course.  

Archived