Getting a new card -- region will remain unchanged?

I opened my account with Kasikorn in Pattaya a few years ago. If now I go to an office in, say, Bangkok, to obtain a new card, will the region of my new card change too automatically, to become the one of Bangkok?

That is, with my old card I could withdraw money in Pattaya with no fees because I got my card there. And in other regions I'd pay  15 bath fees for withdrawals.

I updated my scb card today in a different province but still linked to original.

It took 3 times as long for the call centre to adjust the limits than issuing the card itself.

I'm glad i didn't walk away till it was sorted.

Not sure how new it is but you can now have up to 500,000 daily limit

17 hours ago, noticojaru said:

how to change the region?

17 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Open an account in the region you want.

9 hours ago, noticojaru said:

no.

@noticojaru, that's your choice. There is no other way. If your account is in Pattaya, then no matter where you get an ATM card, it will refer to your account in Pattaya because that's where the money comes from to give you money at the ATM machine in Bangkok.

Good luck with getting a new card issued in Bangkok. Last year I needed to get a new Bangkok Bank debit card in Pattaya. It was more convenient for me to use a branch inside Tesco Lotus. They wouldn't entertain it. I had to go back to the branch where I opened my account at the corner of Walking St. 

So if my experience is anything to go by, expect problems.

32 minutes ago, jimn said:

Good luck with getting a new card issued in Bangkok. Last year I needed to get a new Bangkok Bank debit card in Pattaya. It was more convenient for me to use a branch inside Tesco Lotus. They wouldn't entertain it. I had to go back to the branch where I opened my account at the corner of Walking St. 

This is a guess, but most if not all of the "branches" in Tesco-Lotuses are sub-branches, not real branches.

11 hours ago, noticojaru said:
19 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Open an account in the region you want.

no.

His answer was the right way to get your ( new) account based in another province.

if you don't want to do that, up to you, but your account will remain based in the province where you first opened it.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, jimn said:

Wake up, we're talking about kasikorn.

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

that's your choice. There is no other way. If your account is in Pattaya, then no matter where you get an ATM card, it will refer to your account in Pattaya because that's where the money comes from to give you money at the ATM machine in Bangkok.

you're talking bulishlt.

to open a new account, I'd have to close my current one. Once I've closed it, I may not be able to open a new one, anywhere, because they've tighted KYC regulations. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to. And if I'm not? As if you were not aware of that.

Edited by noticojaru
  • Sad 2

50 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Open an account with a bank which offers a debit card that doesn't charge a fee for withdrawing money in another province.

bingo! What left is: find such a bank, find a branch, a manager that'll be willing to open an account for me on a tourist visa. And all that are in a provience that I wish. That's it.

Edited by noticojaru

4 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

With Kasikorn, my understanding is that cardless ATM withdrawals using the K+ app are free nationwide at Kbank machines. The OP may wish to try that instead of using an ATM card if his main concern is out-of-province withdrawal fees.

with the fees too

32 minutes ago, noticojaru said:

you're talking bulishlt.

to open a new account, I'd have to close my current one. Once I've closed it, I may not be able to open a new one, anywhere, because they've tighted KYC regulations. If I'm lucky, I'll be able to. And if I'm not? As if you were not aware of that.

Bank accounts in Thailand are not transferable to another branch. Do not close your present account until after you have opened your new one. What is KYC ?

5 hours ago, noticojaru said:

you're talking bulishlt.

When people move to another province it's normal to change branch to avoid fees. Why would they allow you to keep an account in the province you left? You don't close the account before opening another account in the new province, and if you don't meet the (maybe new) requirements in the new bank, then it's not the banks fault. It sounds like you're not an expat living here long term. 

9 hours ago, noticojaru said:

you're talking bulishlt.

I agree.  Long time account in Chiang Mai, when I moved to BKK, local Branch told me I could open a new account there and then transfer my funds, but would need documention from my embassy to open account, I left it as it was in Chiang Mai.  

Edited by tf6122
Grammar

10 hours ago, noticojaru said:

you're talking bulishlt.

I have two active accounts with KBank, the latest one was opened in the last month or so.

10 hours ago, noticojaru said:

bingo! What left is: find such a bank, find a branch, a manager that'll be willing to open an account for me on a tourist visa.

Bingo! Tourist visa. That's probably a problem!

2 hours ago, tf6122 said:

I agree.  Long time account in Chiang Mai, when I moved to BKK, local Branch told me I could open a new account there and then transfer my funds, but would need documention from my embassy to open account, I left it as it was in Chiang Mai.  

Was it to much work to get the paper from the UK embassy? 

2 hours ago, tom in bangkok said:

Is this legit? I haven't noticed any fees/charges for withdrawing at an ATM in a different province with KBank.

Are you sure?

I found this at K-Banks website:

“Withdrawal via K-ATM - Account and ATM are in different clearing zone  - 15 Baht per transaction. 

It's the same cost at Bangkok Bank, but they call it region instead of clearing zone. The cost was 10 baht earlier. Of course it's legit. This is how it works here. 

Edited by Max69xl

13 hours ago, tom in bangkok said:

Is this legit? I haven't noticed any fees/charges for withdrawing at an ATM in a different province with KBank.

yeap....that's how the great majority to Thai bank operates when it comes to debit card use, within and outside your home province/bank region.   From looking at the various debit cards offered by K-bank, they all charge the roaming fee (i.e., when withdrawing out of province/bank region).

https://kasikornbank.com/en/personal/debit-card/Pages/web-card.aspx

image.png.b13151c01b5efae1d8d1165318fd3961.png

1 minute ago, Pib said:

yeap....that's how the great majority to Thai bank operates when it comes to debit card use, within and outside your home province/bank region. 

In this day of online, instant communication between computers the out-of-province fee sounds like the sort of rip-off fee Thai banks continue to use simply because they can

• Like 2

23 hours ago, noticojaru said:

Speaking of bulishlt !!

Edited by Don Mega
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Pib said:

yeap....that's how the great majority to Thai bank operates when it comes to debit card use, within and outside your home province/bank region.   From looking at the various debit cards offered by K-bank, they all charge the roaming fee (i.e., when withdrawing out of province/bank region).

Thanks. Didn't even know this existed.

26 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

In this day of online, instant communication between computers the out-of-province fee sounds like the sort of rip-off fee Thai banks continue to use simply because they can

Sounds like it. To add to it, you get charged an annual fee for a debit card PLUS you have to pay the issuing fee (my newest card was 700 thb..)