BANGKOK
AdamTheFarang

How much quieter is Phuket for residents?

Hi, for full time residents how much quieter has Phuket become? I read with the mandatory insurance and extra visa rules businesses are struggling and with the strong Baht many retirees are leaving. Is it that dead apart from Chinese and Indian tourists? Why only Chinese and Indian tourists. I thought the Chinese were staying away after the boat tragedy.

Edited by AdamTheFarang

Maybe you need to get more

• Confused 2

2 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Maybe you need to get more

? That's all you have to say.

Less chinese, more russians and indians , and maybe even more europeans/muricans.

overall a little busier in Kamala this year compared to last year.

still the best place(OVERALL) to live in Thailand.

Edited by ChasingTheSun

IMO its not quiet at all. But I live near Samkong so have no relevant observation on a daily basis from the tourist and beach areas.

However it seems people are out in cars or motorbikes constantly because the traffic and driving habits are worse than ever☹️

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AdamTheFarang said:

for full time residents how much quieter has Phuket become

I note you're not asking about tourists and the tourist areas, so I will comment on my experiences as a full time resident. I think most expats don't live in the tourist towns unless they have business there.

I know of one family who sold up and returned to Britain a few years ago because they wanted better schooling for their kids. I don't know of anyone who has left because of visa or money reasons. In fact, I don't know any expats in Phuket who live day to day on scant pensions. Those of whom I'm aware seem to be organized enough to ride out the financial ups and downs of this current era..

However, my formerly quiet little area of Phuket, has become overwhelmed with business development, residential housing and commercial accommodation buildings in the last 5 years or so. At times It resembles a full time building site with a constant flow of heavy vehicles, pickups and motorbikes festooned with migrant workers coming and going from their many camps.

Happily, the nearby Tiger zoo seems to have finished the construction phase, is populated and no doubt about to open for business, so the back streets are now a little quieter .

3 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Might be more quiet for businesses that rely on tourist spending, but roads are more crowded then ever.  I also just had some friends visit that haven't been here for 3 years.  They see a noticeable difference in how busy the roads are, how many more businesses have opened up and how much more developement there has been in the last 3 years.

Last few years, in this time of year at 18.00 hours coming from Rawai to Kata the roads were blocked, a few times even already at the viewpoint. This year far, far from that, not further than Photo Hotel.

13 hours ago, Old Croc said:

I note you're not asking about tourists and the tourist areas, so I will comment on my experiences as a full time resident. I think most expats don't live in the tourist towns unless they have business there.

I know of one family who sold up and returned to Britain a few years ago because they wanted better schooling for their kids. I don't know of anyone who has left because of visa or money reasons. In fact, I don't know any expats in Phuket who live day to day on scant pensions. Those of whom I'm aware seem to be organized enough to ride out the financial ups and downs of this current era..

However, my formerly quiet little area of Phuket, has become overwhelmed with business development, residential housing and commercial accommodation buildings in the last 5 years or so. At times It resembles a full time building site with a constant flow of heavy vehicles, pickups and motorbikes festooned with migrant workers coming and going from their many camps.

Happily, the nearby Tiger zoo seems to have finished the construction phase, is populated and no doubt about to open for business, so the back streets are now a little quieter .

Enjoy the quiet while you can.  Once the Tiger Zoo is open for business, there will be a lot more minibuses and coaches going there.  This couple with those vehicles going up to the big Buddha.  The small sois in that area will not be able to cope.

2 hours ago, stevenl said:

Last few years, in this time of year at 18.00 hours coming from Rawai to Kata the roads were blocked, a few times even already at the viewpoint. This year far, far from that, not further than Photo Hotel.

Correct.  Amazing how getting the chalong circle open has helped traffic flow.  The past couple of years, people didn't want to wait an hour to get through the circle, so they went the view point way and saved a couple minutes.

2 hours ago, steelepulse said:

Correct.  Amazing how getting the chalong circle open has helped traffic flow.  The past couple of years, people didn't want to wait an hour to get through the circle, so they went the view point way and saved a couple minutes.

I don't think that is the only reason. But yes, thanks, I had totally forgotten Chalong circle upgrade has taken effect.

9 hours ago, Kopitiam said:

Enjoy the quiet while you can.  Once the Tiger Zoo is open for business, there will be a lot more minibuses and coaches going there.  This couple with those vehicles going up to the big Buddha.  The small sois in that area will not be able to cope.

All the tourist traffic will be going in through the main entrance on the BB road. The heavy construction vehicles have been using a back entrance via the small sois behind the site. The coaches wont be going in that way.