How much quieter is Phuket for residents?

AdamTheFarang

1 hour ago, stuarty said:

@ Psimbo ( or anyone)

"There is only one viable solution for a bypass and time is rapidly running out. Headed north turn right into the wide soi across from Tescos, follow the existing  road up and then drive a link road across to the new airport runway (4 lane road to nowhere) opposite Cherng Talay Temple."

Yes I saw and drove up that 4 lane new road to nowhere recently (well when I say nowhere, I mean 2 Elephant Parks.). What is it for??

There is a massive labour camp up there at the moment- I get the feeling the road was probably a golden 'my mother's brother's uncle is building it' money making project as it serves no purpose other than to allow access to the elephant camps and the ponds where the fire trucks fill up. Saying that it is very well constructed. I had one of the locals refer to it one day as 'Orbator's land'- whether he meant the local Gov't or the individual I never did find out. Interestingly the police patrol up there a couple of times a day.

Rumour a couple of years back was that the area was going to be done as a golf course but now the road is in we can scotch that one. Planting the eucalyptus may have just been a soil retention thing.

Personally I see it becoming another big housing estate.

14 hours ago, Psimbo said:

There is a massive labour camp up there at the moment- I get the feeling the road was probably a golden 'my mother's brother's uncle is building it' money making project as it serves no purpose other than to allow access to the elephant camps and the ponds where the fire trucks fill up. Saying that it is very well constructed. I had one of the locals refer to it one day as 'Orbator's land'- whether he meant the local Gov't or the individual I never did find out. Interestingly the police patrol up there a couple of times a day.

Rumour a couple of years back was that the area was going to be done as a golf course but now the road is in we can scotch that one. Planting the eucalyptus may have just been a soil retention thing.

Personally I see it becoming another big housing estate.

On the subject of golf courses, I was told that the huge cleared area of land on the other side  and behind Cherngtalay village south of soi Pasak 8 was going to be developed as a golf course. Any info?

4 hours ago, stuarty said:

On the subject of golf courses, I was told that the huge cleared area of land on the other side  and behind Cherngtalay village south of soi Pasak 8 was going to be developed as a golf course. Any info?

Not heard that but I have a source that may know, give me a few days. Personally I think it is unlikely, given the undulating ground at the north end as just one reason. If they had knocked down a few shop houses across from the big school to improve access instead of the tiny lane at present it would have been a far better option for Central than their just opened location.

Land in that area is too valuable to be turned into grass and from what I understand the existing golf courses do not do that well. This is mainly due to over-pricing (again from what I understand) but dedicated golfers have far better choices and lower costs in Pattaya, along with the much more plentiful fringe benefits at various 19th holes.

To put this into perspective I know a few golfers who have relocated from Phuket to Pattaya over the years for the reasons just mentioned.