a) committee member age b) balcony damage repairs

As my 2 questions are quite short, I've allowed myself to stick them together for 1 thread.

a) is there any age limit to JPC members? In our building, there are 2 very old members (80+) who are nice, but almost can't follow what we are discussing anymore...

b) in a balcony above mine, there's a leak of the water drain, so it constantly drops on my balcony. Who is responsible to fix this - the co-owner above or the building's repair fund?

thanks for any helpful response guys .

1. No upper age limit sure.

2. If the balconies are private the above owner is responsible.

Id add a photo(s) with a pointer to the leak, you might get some advice.

If there's a visible plastic pipe it may be a very simple fix. It might even technically be your problem 

I don't think there is a age restriction unless you are a minor?  You might check the by laws of the condo you live it might indicate when elections are made, who can run and the requirement for running?

In regards to the leak,  this is very common in many Condos since majority if not all have a balcony, although it serves the owner best it doesn't mean the owner is always responsible especially in this particular case but it would be nice to see a few photos of the problem?

Taking a guess, this pipe is a structural built by the condo developer.  From Condos I've seen there are times these pipes stick out a few inches from each balcony sometimes they don't go out far enough so the water drips down to the other unit. if that is the case I would go to the hardware store a make an extension for another few inches. This is really the responsibility of the building not each unit owner.

If it is a water drain on your balcony like one in your shower with the metal screen and the leak you see above comes through the ceiling that is most likely a quick fix. Most likely the unit above the surrounding material around their screen has fail. You can contact the above owner and they them the problem all it takes is a bit of caulking? If it is dripping not in one area and stains throughout the ceiling above then most likely the tile grout above for their tile has failed need to remove old grout and replace really a simple job the question will the above owner be a good owner if not you need to address with committee.

Good luck

Edited by thailand49

Condo committee members are only allowed to serve 2 consecutive terms unless no other condo owners stand for election to fill the board.  At the annual meeting where condo board members are elected, it should be announced which board members, if any, have served their 2 consecutive terms.  If enough other owners stand for election to fill the required number of board seats, these members would be denied a third term.  So, you might check to see how many consecutive terms these elderly owners have served.  

• Like 1