Inspection Station

Me to – know the one one on the road to LTO – but they seem very kind; I was by last October to check when I needed an inspection, but only from next year when my car is seven years old.

Dan Auto in Nathon, next to the Caltex gasoline station, used to do inspections – I always used them before – but I didn't check if the they still do it.

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another one. I've used them for four years. I am confused as to why I need to buy insurance from them, but I'm told the DMV insists I have it and no matter that I have much better car insurance. Cost of inspection including the insurance was about 1200 baht as of Jan 2020. They brake tests, a low tech smog check (not like California OMG) and of course, rub you vehicle id onto a piece of paper. Take the printout and receipt to the DMV. My registration tax at the DMV for a over 10 year old truck was 3456baht. 

This place is less than a kilometer off of ring road, on the right:

car registration.jpg

On 1/31/2020 at 7:55 AM, RayFaye said:

I am confused as to why I need to buy insurance from them, but I'm told the DMV insists I have it and no matter that I have much better car insurance. Cost of inspection including the insurance was about 1200 baht as of Jan 2020.

Dubious to say the least but thanks for the heads up. I experienced no such probs when my car was last tested at the test centre closest to the ring road & would have refused as it would probably have meant that i'd lose first class cover (Cars over 7 years old can't have 1st cl unless they've had it from new with the same company).

Edited by evadgib

I too was offered the compulsory insurance at the testing station. According to my wife (and it later proved to be true), this is the same compulsory insurance you have to buy at the licencing centre before obtaining your licence.

(I am guessing they will get a commission from the insurance company from selling the policy to you).

It just means if you buy at the testing station you have to queue only once to get your licence after showing them you have already purchased the insurance.

(Approximate cost for this insurance can vary between 600 and 1200 baht I believe depending on the type of vehicle. Age does not come in to the equation).

This is third party insurance only and does not cover damage to your own vehicle.

I believe the insurance evadgib is talking about is the sensible (but not compulsory insurance) you should obtain to cover damage/injury to yourself and vehicle. This can cost between 5,000 and possibly more than 30,000 depending on the

age/model/manufacturer of the vehicle and indeed as evadgib says whether you choose 1st, 2nd or 3rd class cover.

• Like 1

I you have a first class car insurance, you might have the compulsory insurance included – a separate tag – so you don't need to buy one at a test station or by the Land Transport Office, just you renew your insurance before and have the tag.

• Like 1