impossible burgers & meatless meat

1FinickyOne

44 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think that is the strange part.

If people don't want to eat meat then fine, don't eat it. But why are products without meet in the meat section?

Vegetable burger should be in the vegetable section.

Or what would vegetarians say if a bloody steak would be in the vegetarian section?

Vegetarians and vegans would be more than happy to see vegetarian alternatives placed as far away from meat as possible. 

• Like 1

This is a food that is meant to mimic meat, why would anyone who is vegan want to mimic meat I have to ask?

Highly processed, full of saturated fat & not very healthy compared to real grass fed meat?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CGW said:

This is a food that is meant to mimic meat, why would anyone who is vegan want to mimic meat I have to ask?

Highly processed, full of saturated fat & not very healthy compared to real grass fed meat?

An abundance of salt as well and maybe some chemical ingredients as well. I will stick to real meat.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, userabcd said:

An abundance of salt as well and maybe some chemical ingredients as well. I will stick to real meat.

Yes, the healthy & natural real "McCoy" is my choice also, marketing, sales and out and out greed preying on people's gullibility have a lot to answer for!

40 minutes ago, CGW said:

I encounter a lot of Vegans, and can honestly say most of them appear very unhealthy, often overweight, and many inject vitamin substitutes.

It's more a religion, than a heathy living option IMHO.

• Like 1

Interesting topic. I just got a few samples of Beyond Meats for my restaurant and tried it a few days ago.

The "burger" patty was nothing like I had hoped for. It was actually so bad that I am seriously thinking I got a spoiled sample or something went wrong during production. I actually had high hopes for this one. I will actually request a new sample because I just can't believe this product made it to mass-production.

Then I tried their Sausage substitute ( Beyond Sausage ). Now this one met my expectations. It tasted like a sausage. You'd need to be really picky to not like this as a sausage substitute. If a restaurant doesnt have Coca Cola, a Pepsi will do just as well for me. If a restaurant doesnt have Pepsi,  a Coca Cola will be fine. I think similar with the beyond sausage compared to a real sausage. You could possibly taste the difference...but very very minor.

I also got a vegan 'mozzarella cheese' sample. This one tasted nothing like Mozzarella. My taste buds instantly said "parmesan cheese". Unfortunately this version has a strange after taste.

I had a ground meat substitute as well that was supposed to resemble ground pork. And it did ok. Not great, but passable. Make "meat"balls out of them and serve them with spaghetti and marinara sauce, I doubt you could taste the difference.

Little disclaimer before the manly meat-eaters tare this post apart.

I am NOT a vegetarian, nor am I a vegan. I also believe it is important to eat meat in your diet. However, I feel we ( at least myself ) eat too much meat. There is not a single day I go without some sort of meat with my meal. Salami on bread. Ham on the pizza, chicken with rice etc.....because I just enjoy it too much to give it up.

So i would welcome a product that can fool me into thinking I am eating meat. So instead of 7 days per week with meat, I can maaaaybe do 1 or 2 "meatless" days.

Also I have met vegetarians and Vegans that don't do it for their diet, but rather they disagree how animals are being treated. I wish I had their will power.

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, userabcd said:

Which has been shot full of an overdose of toxic antibiotics.

Wonder what ingredients are in the veggie version?

Edited by DaRoadrunner

8 hours ago, Oxx said:

The Anantara Siam Bangkok Hotel has Beyond Burgers at 750++ baht each, and Beyond Sausage Rolls at 450++ baht each.

Do they have regular burgers and sausage rolls? To do an actual price comparison.

Yes, 750 for a Beyond Burger seems quite expensive, but if their "normal" burger is in that price range too, then i would assume they charge for service, ambiance, location etc.

But if they have normal burgers at 200-400 baht, I would have no explanation why they Beyond Burger is 750

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I'm amazed by the posters who can't separate vegetarian food from vegans. You folks are not carnivores. You're omnivores eating all sorts of junk. Some people need to change their diet for health but as anyone who has ever tried to diet knows, it's not always easy to give up the thing they love. It's no different than a beer drinker who switches to drinking non-alcoholic beers. 

Someday these burgers and vegan items like this are going to do well with the international restaurants companies that can't sell pork or beef or whatever in some countries due to religious beliefs there. Plus the world is eating more vegetarian food every year for health reasons or other reasons.

Marines are fighting for veggie burgers!

Okinawa Marines Plan to Bring Impossible Burger to Mess Halls Across the Island

On 1/11/2020 at 8:03 PM, NiwPix said:

Interesting topic. I just got a few samples of Beyond Meats for my restaurant and tried it a few days ago.

The "burger" patty was nothing like I had hoped for. It was actually so bad that I am seriously thinking I got a spoiled sample or something went wrong during production. I actually had high hopes for this one. I will actually request a new sample because I just can't believe this product made it to mass-production.

Then I tried their Sausage substitute ( Beyond Sausage ). Now this one met my expectations. It tasted like a sausage. You'd need to be really picky to not like this as a sausage substitute. If a restaurant doesnt have Coca Cola, a Pepsi will do just as well for me. If a restaurant doesnt have Pepsi,  a Coca Cola will be fine. I think similar with the beyond sausage compared to a real sausage. You could possibly taste the difference...but very very minor.

I also got a vegan 'mozzarella cheese' sample. This one tasted nothing like Mozzarella. My taste buds instantly said "parmesan cheese". Unfortunately this version has a strange after taste.

I had a ground meat substitute as well that was supposed to resemble ground pork. And it did ok. Not great, but passable. Make "meat"balls out of them and serve them with spaghetti and marinara sauce, I doubt you could taste the difference.

Little disclaimer before the manly meat-eaters tare this post apart.

I am NOT a vegetarian, nor am I a vegan. I also believe it is important to eat meat in your diet. However, I feel we ( at least myself ) eat too much meat. There is not a single day I go without some sort of meat with my meal. Salami on bread. Ham on the pizza, chicken with rice etc.....because I just enjoy it too much to give it up.

So i would welcome a product that can fool me into thinking I am eating meat. So instead of 7 days per week with meat, I can maaaaybe do 1 or 2 "meatless" days.

Also I have met vegetarians and Vegans that don't do it for their diet, but rather they disagree how animals are being treated. I wish I had their will power.

An  previous associate of mine who claims he is a vegetarian based on animals rights lives on boxed vegetarian instant meals from India.

On alternate weekends as a volunteer he checks a trap line in a National Park for unwelcome  predator catch count.

I am left  confused !