Five tourists dead, 8 injured as minivan slams into back of broken down truck

rooster59

Five tourists dead, 8 injured as minivan slams into back of broken down truck

crash.JPG

Image: Daily News

Five tourists on their way from the south to Khao Khor in Petchabun in Thailand's north east have died after a minivan slammed into the back of a broken down ten wheel truck. 

The truck was positioned in the right hand lane and was about to be towed by a six wheel truck that was positioned in front of it. 

Daily News reported that there was no cone, not even a branch, to warn traffic coming up behind that the truck had broken down. 

There were also no signs of braking on the road surface. 

The minivan slammed into the back of the truck killing four tourists at the scene. Another died at Nong Phai hospital later. 

Eight people were injured. Two of these were found under the six wheeler - one was the driver of that vehicle who was fixing the towing arm at the time of the impact. 

The accident happened at the Ban Noi PTT gas station in Nong Phai district on the Saraburi to Lomsak Road (Route 21).

Pol Capt Sarote Maneerit of the Na Chaliang police is investigating.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-11
  • Sad 4

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

No time of accident reported in the article, if it happened in the

daytime completely avoidable, if it happened at night,less so.

regards Worgeordie

It happened to me when I was driving overnight. I couldn't see the truck, no light or fire.
I just avoided the accident, but I admit that I was lucky.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, worgeordie said:

No time of accident reported in the article, if it happened in the

daytime completely avoidable, if it happened at night,less so.

Thairath says that the emergency call came at 9:25 (AM).

So absolutely in broad daylight.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mitkof Island said:

Notice how all the travel books, websites and YouTube travel channels avoid the most dangerous issues here. These are death traps that should be avoided at all costs.

Maybe the ones you read, but I remember reading about the Vabs 25 years ago, and even experiencing them. I hate them. Last recourse.

• Like 1

Another risk factor is that too many of the paid drivers have either second jobs, or simply don't say no when offered back to back assignments.  An improperly rested driver can become an accidental kamikaze in the blink of an eye or a nod of a sleepy head.

• Like 1

Are the powers that be just so incredibly brain dead and moronic?that they cannot see the need to make it

compulsory for every vehicle to at the very least carry a warning triangle and safety lights and in the case of trucks or buses a few of each and some flourescent jackets cones etc.

Routine vehicle stops should require proof of having all safety warning equipment with huge fines for offenders.

Just dont get how dumb they are.. a country with such appalling road safety and they cant do the basics to try and solve this and save the lives of their own people.

The standard safety equipment package could even be given free to every vehicle owner.

The resources manpower devoted to overstayers is staggering ..........yet the minister for road safety, if their is one does what exactly?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, neeray said:

To me, impossible to comprehend how any driver, "professional or not", could not figure out that a truck was at a standstill and just drive right into it.

(Yes, I know TIT)

"micro sleep' is a popular explanation nowadays, compared to brake failure...

4 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

My thoughts exactly. Yet crashing into stationary vehicles, particularly very large ones such as this truck seems to be a common occurrence here. 

the drivers are already "brain dead" just a matter of time til their bodies follow suite

Edited by atyclb