Five tourists dead, 8 injured as minivan slams into back of broken down truck

rooster59

40 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

the mall shooting was horrible especially with the young boy being killed but where is the outrage here?

i recall the vans that go from chatuchak bts to impact arena. where were the seatbelts???  under the seats literally bound with industrial strength plastic ties.  but no problem since the van staff saidthat "Mai pen rai"

I always wondered why they call it a minivan here in Thailand instead of a van.

But now I know. They're 2 meters shorter or mini after they crash into parked trucks, trees, power poles or having a head-on collision....

Coffins on wheels !!!

Edited by Tops

58 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

the mall shooting was horrible especially with the young boy being killed but where is the outrage here?

Deliberate action versus accident.

Different.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I’ve nearly run into unmarked broken down vehicles, roadworks with no advance notice, vehicles changing lanes without signalling, and unmarked collapsed roads. 

I presume cones are under used because they are expensive and people steal them if they are unattended, but the concepts of workforce or road user safety are completely absent here.

4 minutes ago, mickymouse1 said:

I wonder at what speed that van was going?

From what I read, it must have been well over 100  to 120 Kmp.

Very sad indeed.

BTW, anyone knows what is the best mode of transport to get from Phitsanalouk Airport to Uttradit Bus Station? Cheers

Walk

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Borzandy said:

It happened to me when I was driving overnight. I couldn't see the truck, no light or fire.
I just avoided the accident, but I admit that I was lucky.

You are very lucky.

A few years ago a good friend of mine died, he was on the Sukhumvit opp. Tesco riding his motorbike home.

The truck driver was putting up signs for city hall at 11pm. 

5 hours ago, neeray said:

To me, impossible to comprehend how any driver, "professional or not", could not figure out that a truck was at a standstill and just drive right into it.

(Yes, I know TIT)

They swerve from one lane to another.

When the middle lane have more space they go there to pass the right lane.

When they cannot pass on the right lane they try the middle lane en when can not pass there they swerve to the left lane at full speed normaly.

Oh dammed a truck, cannot break and slam into the back of the truck.

I have seen it many times

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

My thoughts exactly. Yet crashing into stationary vehicles, particularly very large ones such as this truck seems to be a common occurrence here. 

You are of course both correct the other important aspect which is overlooked by the manufacturers of trucks and the authorities in Thailand is the simple bar across the rear of the truck that prevents in this case the minibus in a crash scenario travelling underneath the truck platform. I live in a country with a population of 6 million people proratio the number of people who live and die in my country with the fatalities in Thailand more people die from road accidents in Thailand in a week and I'm not just referring to my own country.   

"To me, impossible to comprehend how any driver, "professional or not", could not figure out that a truck was at a standstill and just drive right into it."

How many of drivers have a good "eyesight" that make them qualify for operating a vehicle.   
Besides that I have seen van drivers who get busy with other things but no attention to the road. 

2 hours ago, dutchman said:

When they cannot pass on the right lane they try the middle lane en when can not pass there they swerve to the left lane at full speed normaly.

oh well... Thailand, just like Australia, do not employ that restrictive 'do not overtake on the Left' thing that Uk etc have... 

2 hours ago, mickymouse1 said:

I wonder at what speed that van was going?

From what I read, it must have been well over 100  to 120 Kmp.

Very sad indeed.

BTW, anyone knows what is the best mode of transport to get from Phitsanalouk Airport to Uttradit Bus Station? Cheers

https://www.army-technology.com/projects/mbombe-4-armoured-personnel-carrier-apc/attachment/1l-image-mbombe-4-armoured-personnel-carrier-apc/

7 deadly days Wrong 365 deadly days on thai Roads. These Mini van drivers drive over the speed limit on the highways and in cities and do they ever get pulled up for it? Better question Would Is there any one in Thailand who could pull them up Not the RTP that is for sure.Coffins on wheels I call these Minivans 

The problem here is not if there were cones or no cones, or if the driver of the minivan was able to see those or not. Appearantly he wasn´t able to see a big truck standing still in the middle of the road. In other countries it´s not allowed to put blind drivers behind a wheel of public transportation.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Thanks 1

I travel regularly between Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Of all the drivers on the main road, the minivan drivers are the most reckless. They speed, overtake unsafely, and tailgate. It's no wonder they are frequently involved in accidents.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dutchman said:

As i have also. These death traps need to be taken off the roads. Was talked about a few years ago after those two mini-vans near Pattaya killed nearly thirty i think.