BANGKOK
PaulPatterson68

UK Retiree - Does my present full pension allowance continue?

Not sure how you put the question but here are my facts .

I receive a full single allowance UK pension for a male British citizen for the last two years because the last 2 years I have been granted full UK residence .

Before the last 2 years I was non resident living in Thailand since the age of 65.  I am now 78 years of age.

My pension was frozen as from age 65 at the rate of conception until I returned to UK and applied for residential status and thus my pension has been increased to current single man's allowance.

I'm considering returning to live again in Thailand, which means I will surrender my UK residential status.

My question is:  Does my present full pension allowance continue?

Does the DHSS take into consideration that I have fulfilled 2 years UK residence and allow the full present pension to continue to be paid .when living in Thailand.

I realise it will again be frozen, but at what rate?  The present rate or the rate as at 65 years of age.

Thanks for any assistance in answering my question.
Cheers Paul

Moving to the Home Country forum for knowledgeable answers.

• Like 2

Pensions come under the auspices of DWP (Department for Work and Pensions).

Your pension will be frozen at the prevailing rate when you move to Thailand (if you advise them).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I suggest that you contact the International Pension Centre, as per the link below (by copying and pasting your first post above, perhaps?), for a definitive answer to your question:-

https://secure.dwp.gov.uk/ipc/personal-details

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

IF you come back Thailand to live for good, your present pension will be frozen.

If you go back UK from Thailand every year for something like 180 days or so you can maintain your annual pension increases.

If you stay Thailand for more than I think 2 years you can go back and stay UK for only 2 years if you want your present pension to be the same when you re-enter Thailand.

That's how how I understand it.

• Confused 1

If you tell DWP you are coming back to Thailand it will be frozen, ,   but if y do not tell,no way of knowing one way or another,i  no punishments,no pack drill       f prepared to give up almost 80 per month OK     Aprils rise

Edited by izod10
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

40 minutes ago, izod10 said:

If you tell DWP you are coming back to Thailand it will be frozen, ,   but if y do not tell,no way of knowing one way or another,i  no punishments,no pack drill       f prepared to give up almost 80 per month OK     Aprils rise

Won't the Pensions Authority require periodic proof the person is still alive, and this will reveal where they are living - e.g. by affidavit from a bank official - looks suspicious if it was Bangkok Bank?

13 minutes ago, nglodnig said:

Won't the Pensions Authority require periodic proof the person is still alive, and this will reveal where they are living - e.g. by affidavit from a bank official - looks suspicious if it was Bangkok Bank?

If UK address ,no proof of life,.  Transferwise onward via that site

officialdom can see bank activity in UK bank

Edited by izod10
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Letseng said:

An honest person does advise them.

Do not have to be honest/dishonest, nothing dwp can do about anything, except freeze the pension, pointless exercise

1 hour ago, izod10 said:

If UK address ,no proof of life,.  Transferwise onward via that site

officialdom can see bank activity in UK bank

No they can’t.....

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Letseng said:

An honest person does advise them.

I am sure they do.

Not everyone advises them.

4 minutes ago, Jip99 said:

No they can’t.....

It is not unusual to see DWP trawling through through several accounts to see what the income and outgoings have been. In cases involving bank accounts the DWP will usually ask for your cooperation in getting the accounts but if you refuse they could obtain a court order and get the information from the bank directly.