UK Retiree - Does my present full pension allowance continue?

2 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Seems to be a lack of understanding here Sunshine. The OP clearly was asking regards state pension,you are clearly on about pension credit,just seems a solid waste of two seconds reading your gobbledegook

Now your second statementState Pension increases are not small ,4 percent to top rated OApensioner in region of 80GBP per month   pension credit nowhere near

Subterfuge...hardly    For the average Joe here,that is 4 percent (compounded) ,10 percent,GBP upswing,plus anyone public sector  around 5percent in April

No ,I think those about to lose the dependents allowance,and swift change of address are in the firing line,was a poisone chalice that allowance

Anyway cheers,thanks for non-advise sorry for anone on  pension credit,near it or just out of it,not much fun 

It's not gobbledook.  We are talking about frozen pensions.  Your argument is not to tell the DWP but to remove the benefit part of it by stating you live in Spain.  That alone could cause questions at the DWP which could result in either you coming clean, or they find out that it's not Spain you live in but Thailand.  Thence your pension will be frozen. That's what could happen if you use subterfuge to avoid a benefit problem.

31 minutes ago, peterpop said:

I want to re instate my pension to its full value, who doesn't.  I asked IPC how long I had to stay in UK to restore it permanently.  They told me there was not a set time, nor a set check list of how you qualified.  I was told there was a committee at a level above them who reviewed such cases and they had to be convinced that you had made a clean break with Thailand.  How they investigated this was not known.

I have a friend who most certainly spends more than 6 months every year in Thailand with his Thai wife but gets full entitlement. He has never officially told IPC that he has left UK.  I was stupid to do so.

Recently I asked every political party what their attitude was to 'Frozen Pensions' and not one of them stated clearly that they would restore the pensions and rescind the legislation.

In April I will lose another 54 gbp [my marriage allowance].

Couple of pages back,woman explained to dwp she spends 10 months here,2 supposidly back in UK,could be anywhere actually, dwp told here was ok  ,not frozen

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Also with regard to the increase in April 2020 of 3.9%, note the following:

The increase of 3.9 percent will apply to both types of state pension, however the amount differs between the two.

The full weekly rate of the basic state pension is set to increase by £5.05 per week from £129.20 to £134.25 per week.

Meanwhile, the weekly full rate of the new state pension will increase by £6.60 per week from £168.60 to £175.20 per week.

To get an increase of 80 quid a month, you would need a pension of around 2,000 a month, i.e. 24,000 a year.

I doubt there are many who have contributed to National Insurance so heavily to receive that amount.

12 minutes ago, HHTel said:

It's not gobbledook.  We are talking about frozen pensions.  Your argument is not to tell the DWP but to remove the benefit part of it by stating you live in Spain.  That alone could cause questions at the DWP which could result in either you coming clean, or they find out that it's not Spain you live in but Thailand.  Thence your pension will be frozen. That's what could happen if you use subterfuge to avoid a benefit problem.

lol    look at DWP rules sunshine,obv you have not,or could not

18 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

IF you come back Thailand to live for good, your present pension will be frozen.

If you go back UK from Thailand every year for something like 180 days or so you can maintain your annual pension increases.

If you stay Thailand for more than I think 2 years you can go back and stay UK for only 2 years if you want your present pension to be the same when you re-enter Thailand.

That's how how I understand it.

Thanks Kwasaki,

From my understanding of your explanation is that as I am now in UK and have been here for the last 2 full years, from April 2018 and I intend to return to Thailand after August 2020. During these 2 full year government pension has doubled.

I intend to declare to the DHSS that I will not return to UK. 

Am I correct in my understanding that, from your explanation my pension that has been doubled (in the last 2 years), will not be reduced upon my return to Thailand, I do not intend to go back to the UK forever.  I would be very grateful if you could answer this query for me. Kind regards Paul

24 minutes ago, PaulPatterson68 said:

Thanks Kwasaki,

From my understanding of your explanation is that as I am now in UK and have been here for the last 2 full years, from April 2018 and I intend to return to Thailand after August 2020. During these 2 full year government pension has doubled.

Am I correct in my understanding that, from your explanation my pension that has been doubled (in the last 2 years), will not be reduced upon my return to Thailand, I do not intend to go back to the UK forever.  I would be very grateful if you could answer this query for me. Kind regards Paul

180 days per year is for tax residency , not for UK state pension purposes, the two things are not related in any way. 180 days is also for NHS eligibility, except on an emergency basis.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, PaulPatterson68 said:

Thanks Kwasaki,

After 2 years staying in UK and returning to Thailand your pension will stay at the present rate you receive.

That is how I believe the UK pension system works regarding Thailand.

If I was in your position I would speak to the IPC they are very helpful, I say this as I have been in Thailand 15 years and 7 years of receiving my UK pension and as anyone knows govts move goal posts e.g. rules get changed.

13 hours ago, HHTel said:

Firstly, I think the qualifying time in the UK is 6 months to be able to return at with a pension frozen at the current level.  Visits to the UK entitles you to the full current pension, even if it's just for a week.  But it will revert back to the frozen amount on return.

A long time friend on another forum, since passed away, was claiming the full pension along with 'cold weather allowance' for years.  He used a UK address.  However, he received a letter at his UK address around the time he would have received his cold weather allowance.  Basically the letter said - 'You are not entitled to the allowance as you live in Thailand'.  He spent the remaining years of his life having 50 quid deducted from his pension every month to pay back the overpayments.

They have ways of finding out.

This is why you should never brag about what you are doing. The only way they could have know is if someone dobbed him in. I know a couple of guys here are bragging in the same manner about pension credits even the are making a killing renting cars etc. Not only are they milking the UK system but also the Thai system. They are playing a stupid game

Den

Edited by denby45
15 hours ago, HHTel said:

talk all you like re frozen pensions   ..not telling this or that..so what? Not one person ever been taken to court/prosecuted on state pension  (  P credit ,all the time)  DWP are not interested..that sister-in- law that works for them.is it brushing up,mopping out etc?.

Think the little green eyed monster at work here,swinging in with a load of pension credit c.rap..nobody EVER been stuffed with frozen pension ever ,but of course u know different,tell ,em..yes they surely will freeze

Thanks for working out my 4%  but was including my total pension,unfortunately,hell it will be higher still if I get 5% come April.

not bothered one bit,its the frozen bunch that (just like you) come out of their pit embracing tales of death and destruction at the hands of the dwp ,total garbage,but I do hold my hands up to winter fuel allowance,I call it summer cooling allowance,I surely will when the game is up pay the the max they can claim 200 smackers a year for 3 years back pay

Ta very much

• Like 1
22 hours ago, HHTel said:

Firstly, I think the qualifying time in the UK is 6 months to be able to return at with a pension frozen at the current level.  Visits to the UK entitles you to the full current pension, even if it's just for a week.  But it will revert back to the frozen amount on return.

A long time friend on another forum, since passed away, was claiming the full pension along with 'cold weather allowance' for years.  He used a UK address.  However, he received a letter at his UK address around the time he would have received his cold weather allowance.  Basically the letter said - 'You are not entitled to the allowance as you live in Thailand'.  He spent the remaining years of his life having 50 quid deducted from his pension every month to pay back the overpayments.

They have ways of finding out.

Easy to find out when you never answer the phone or a letter sent to the address. 

5 minutes ago, Letseng said:

Easy to find out when you never answer the phone or a letter sent to the address. 

According to DWP stats, they don't have a current address for 40% of UK pensioners.

And as far as I know there's no legal requirement for you to provide them with one, in order to receive a pension.

(beyond the initial application)

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

According to DWP stats, they don't have a current address for 40% of UK pensioners.

And as far as I know there's no legal requirement for you to provide them with one, in order to receive a pension.

Can you provide proof of that (40%), I find that really hard to imagine.

59 minutes ago, Letseng said:

All then that happens is proof of life dispatched,   obv have to provide address , call them re pension,  if Thailand ,you are on prolonged holiday   fill it in,send it back,nothing to get bothered over.

In case letter missed (proof of life) the OAP suspended until received ,...pension restored including back pay

• Like 1
On 1/12/2020 at 5:01 PM, izod10 said:

Now your second statementState Pension increases are not small ,4 percent to top rated OApensioner in region of 80GBP per month   pension credit nowhere near

Subterfuge...hardly    For the average Joe here,that is 4 percent (compounded) ,10 percent,GBP upswing,plus anyone public sector  around 5percent in April

Pretty much rubbish. Yes, State pension due to go up 3.9 %, nothing compounded (?). exchange rate is no better than this time last year, and as for public sector pensions - no way 5%, you just get CPI, which is something under 3% - in the last 10 years my increases have been between 0% and 3% - over those 10 years my pension has civil service pension has gone up about 20 -25% in total.

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

This is nonsense, DWP has the bank account details of every person they pay ergo they have the addresses of those people!

12 hours ago, rickudon said:

Pretty much rubbish. Yes, State pension due to go up 3.9 %, nothing compounded (?). exchange rate is no better than this time last year, and as for public sector pensions - no way 5%, you just get CPI, which is something under 3% - in the last 10 years my increases have been between 0% and 3% - over those 10 years my pension has civil service pension has gone up about 20 -25% in total.

Im calculating from Boris bounce..currency  up 11.5% day after election that gave incoming annual pensions of over 2500 pounds increase,yes decreased since to around 10%   Boris has stated 5% for public sector,see if he holds up....last, less than 10 years of OAP has doubled,way of buy back and other award....anyway can do anything with figures,...yes IM alright Jack    Thanks be to Allah I never bought a place here, never get shut,...fed up with fun in the sun,...Spain in plain sight

If i get a 5% increase in my civil service pension i would be extremely surprised. I think Boris meant PAY - for those civil servants still working. For the last 10 years they have been on 1% annual pay increases - so in real terms now earn about 15% less than 10 years ago. The requirement for more civil servants to deal with Brexit gave the government a problem - to recruit civil servants who are even 90% literate they had to employ them all at one grade higher than the usual starting point. With rents being what they are in London, you cannot survive on less than 25,000 GBP there. My son has rent, bills and travel costs of 1500 GBP a month - but still needs to eat .....  drinking a pint (at over 5 GBP a time) is sheer luxury.

51 minutes ago, rickudon said:

If i get a 5% increase in my civil service pension i would be extremely surprised. I think Boris meant PAY - for those civil servants still working. For the last 10 years they have been on 1% annual pay increases - so in real terms now earn about 15% less than 10 years ago. The requirement for more civil servants to deal with Brexit gave the government a problem - to recruit civil servants who are even 90% literate they had to employ them all at one grade higher than the usual starting point. With rents being what they are in London, you cannot survive on less than 25,000 GBP there. My son has rent, bills and travel costs of 1500 GBP a month - but still needs to eat .....  drinking a pint (at over 5 GBP a time) is sheer luxury.

That is why Im still here..rents..and my mutts.   I feel things may change rapidly here in Thailand,perhaps worth hanging on a while   I miss home,but do the lottery via vpn,hope springs eternal,won close on 50,000 years ago GBP  thats why Im stuck here,not enough to blast free...this last 7 days won 10  8   5  free lucky dips,..Christ I d like to win enough to get away  buy a place in UK take the mutts and offffff

The Civil service pension will likely increase by 1.7% in April, as it is based on Sept 2019 CPI. The RPI was 2.4% (it took a 0.2% dip from the forecast 2.6% ????). Still that will go on about 90% of my pensions in payment at the moment now, so still not to bad...

Still 10 years off from getting the state pension, but Dad will get a nice uplift in April, one of the reasons he does not exceed 180 days in Thailand....

• Like 1
6 hours ago, rickudon said:

The other thing with the Civil Service, if you left and were taking your pension, and rejoined with a permanent position on a higher salary when you left, your CC pension may be suspended until you retired again! 

1 hour ago, simon43 said:

Move to live in The Philippines and your UK state pension will increase in line with any increases in the UK...

..and plug into their reciprocal welfare system, nah,Ill stay in Thailand and keep the increases the the UK enjoys,after all there is b.ugger all anyone or anything can do to to change it

suggestions on a postage stamp please

• 2 months later...
On 1/12/2020 at 12:47 PM, Jip99 said:

I am sure they do.

Not everyone advises them.

They play the system and cheat it as the frozen pension situation is unfair especially to those who have paid in to the system for over 30 years through PAYE and then get the proverbial kick in the teeth for moving to a country that does not have a reciprocal pensions agreement with the UK. The Philippines is one such country that does have one but then who wants to live there! The annual increase is based on the annual price Index, c.3-4 % so hardly a prince's ransom!

On 1/13/2020 at 12:09 PM, izod10 said:

All then that happens is proof of life dispatched,   obv have to provide address , call them re pension,  if Thailand ,you are on prolonged holiday   fill it in,send it back,nothing to get bothered over.

In case letter missed (proof of life) the OAP suspended until received ,...pension restored including back pay

As far as I know for UK pensioners 'proof of life' is only ever required from pensioners who have declared they are living overseas. I don't know anyone in the UK who has ever been presented with one.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1