UK Pensions and related info

On 4/17/2021 at 10:46 AM, Tanoshi said:

Your talking through your hat!

If you elect to have your UK state pension paid directly into a Thai bank account, you cannot choose the day of transfer. The day of 4 weekly transactions is determined by your NI number.

The payments are made automatically through the Bank of Thailand to your Thai bank account using the BAHTNET system. Coding of these types of transfers will be displayed as 'BNT' in a Passbook.

The exchange rates are as good or even better than other methods of transfers.

So tell me why when I use to be paid my UK pension on a Monday it got changed to a Thursday.

On 4/25/2021 at 7:17 PM, jonzboy said:

I believe you can only claim online if you are resident in UK.  Otherwise you need to complete the paper form and submit with supporting documents.

I second you comments about the "verified identity" as I got locked out and had to re-register (I used the post office one) and judging from the questions they ask it seems they do a cross check with your UK credit history

That would be odd as I get my NHS pension here and applied online. I tried the PO and I have a perfect score credit history but I get rejected 100%

On 5/2/2021 at 5:18 PM, treetops said:

Paid in the same country?

Yeah I was already living in Thailand when my UK govt pension was due.

It was paid on a Monday every 4 weeks into my joint Thai Bkk bank a/c and forget how long after, it was changed to a Thursday.

Has anyone registered lately ? my birthday was the 30th March, they received my forms on the 4th of February and returned my documents within a week with a compliment slip. I sent them an Email to which they replied to contact them if i needed more information, so i did and no reply to that one Does anyone know the current time scale ? Its almost six weeks since my birthday and nothing so far.

40 minutes ago, dasboot said:

Has anyone registered lately ? my birthday was the 30th March, they received my forms on the 4th of February and returned my documents within a week with a compliment slip. I sent them an Email to which they replied to contact them if i needed more information, so i did and no reply to that one Does anyone know the current time scale ? Its almost six weeks since my birthday and nothing so far.

I would ring em up is best the IPC just have your NI number ready.

From what I remember if you ask for 4 weekly payments you get it 4 weeks on from your birthday.

Well, i finally and eventually got through on the phone, it seems after 15 weeks and 6 weeks after my birthday i am still in the cue, the very pleasant lady had no ideal how much longer it was going to take, but with a little sweet talking she said we would send a note to priorities it, we will wait and see.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dasboot said:

Well, i finally and eventually got through on the phone, it seems after 15 weeks and 6 weeks after my birthday i am still in the cue, the very pleasant lady had no ideal how much longer it was going to take, but with a little sweet talking she said we would send a note to priorities it, we will wait and see.

my birthday was on a Tues with a pension pay date of weds, , i claimed a few weeks before that date online by using the invitation code they sent to my home address in the UK, my fist payment was on a weds, 2 weeks after my birthday, i received a payment for 2 weeks and 2 days, next payment will be 4 weeks after the 1st payment for 4 weeks pension.

the day of payment is based on the last 2 numbers of your NI number 00-19 mon, 20-39 tues, 40-59 weds, 60-79 thurs, 80-99 fri. 

Edited by steve187
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dasboot said:

When you say 'forms' I assume it can be done online?  I did it that way for my NHS Pension and it comes to my Bangkok Bank account monthly like clockwork.

20 hours ago, dasboot said:

new pension phone number is 08007317898, expect to lose 30+ minutes of you life, use skype its a free call, just a connection charge, as normal 0044 8007317898, my start date was after you, i already have my first payment ( see my post above)

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

When you say 'forms' I assume it can be done online?  I did it that way for my NHS Pension and it comes to my Bangkok Bank account monthly like clockwork.

I downloaded the forms and sent them with EMS, they took 30 days to get there, that left only 8 weeks to my birthday.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, steve187 said:

new pension phone number is 08007317898, expect to lose 30+ minutes of you life, use skype its a free call, just a connection charge, as normal 0044 8007317898, my start date was after you, i already have my first payment ( see my post above)

Thank you Steve 187, i phoned them yesterday on the International pension centre number and yes it took an age to get connected, the middle of next week i will give this number a try.

15 hours ago, steve187 said:

my birthday was on a Tues with a pension pay date of weds, , i claimed a few weeks before that date online by using the invitation code they sent to my home address in the UK, my fist payment was on a weds, 2 weeks after my birthday, i received a payment for 2 weeks and 2 days, next payment will be 4 weeks after the 1st payment for 4 weeks pension.

the day of payment is based on the last 2 numbers of your NI number 00-19 mon, 20-39 tues, 40-59 weds, 60-79 thurs, 80-99 fri. 

I was using my Daughter home address in the UK, but she borrowed money then wouldn’t pay anything back, so she blocked me on everything so i could ask her for money, so i didn’t get the code, which is a royal pain in the ass.

20 hours ago, dasboot said:

I've used email to IPC and it takes a long time to get a reply back with an apology for reply taking a long time owing to covid. 

The good news is I got some payment into my bank account about a month after I applied, which aint bad, a lot better than the two month waiting period they give on their website. The bad news is I seem to be paying tax. Still waiting on the documentary stuff. Like, just strange payments - local government pension down, extra money from the state pension. I'm not complaining, every little helps. 

On 5/6/2021 at 6:20 PM, steve187 said:

That is odd. My last 2 numbers are 53 and it should be paid on the 4th Wednesday but it arrive at Wise bank around 3.30pm on a Friday afternoon, too late for me to get it.

I do the transfer on Friday and it gets to my BBK account around 2pm on Monday afternoon.=, or the next banking day in Thailand.

Where does it go from Wednesday to Friday in the UK?

1 hour ago, nausea said:

The good news is I got some payment into my bank account about a month after I applied, which aint bad, a lot better than the two month waiting period they give on their website. The bad news is I seem to be paying tax. Still waiting on the documentary stuff. Like, just strange payments - local government pension down, extra money from the state pension. I'm not complaining, every little helps. 

log onto government gateway or on the android app, your paye tax code should be there, on mine it lists my state pension and gives the remainder of my tax free allowance to my private pension,  i also claim 10% of my wife tax free allowance.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, steve187 said:

I have recently applied for my State Pension as I am 66 in July.  Without browsing all the posts I can tell you that you can apply on the phone from Thailand.  The number I called was 009441218777.  I had saved the online form and filled out all the relevant questions.  This is advisable as you can then answer the questions as they come at you.  I spoke to a very nice woman who was friendly and helpful.  I would say it was done and dusted in about 15 minutes.  A few days later a I received a text from the DWP telling me that my State Pension had been processed and I will recieve a letter at somepoint telling me everything I need to know.  I am having it paid into my Thai Bank account.  

Word of advice.  Make sure you have all the answers to the questions in front of you before you ring.  My friend tried to apply on the phone without all the information and when he couldn't answer one of the questions he was told to fill out the form and send it in.  Don't be put off by the 26 pages of questions, a lot don't apply to you and a lot they don't ask.

Any questions I am happy to advice.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, essexman said:

I have recently applied for my State Pension as I am 66 in July.  Without browsing all the posts I can tell you that you can apply on the phone from Thailand.  The number I called was 009441218777.  I had saved the online form and filled out all the relevant questions.  This is advisable as you can then answer the questions as they come at you.  I spoke to a very nice woman who was friendly and helpful.  I would say it was done and dusted in about 15 minutes.  A few days later a I received a text from the DWP telling me that my State Pension had been processed and I will recieve a letter at somepoint telling me everything I need to know.  I am having it paid into my Thai Bank account.  

Word of advice.  Make sure you have all the answers to the questions in front of you before you ring.  My friend tried to apply on the phone without all the information and when he couldn't answer one of the questions he was told to fill out the form and send it in.  Don't be put off by the 26 pages of questions, a lot don't apply to you and a lot they don't ask.

Any questions I am happy to advice.

i was asked 2 questions online using the invitation code, took less than 2 minutes, date of marriage and bank account details, the invitation code bypasses nearly all the questions, depends how up to date their records are for you,

On 5/7/2021 at 9:39 AM, steve187 said:

Interestingly, the IPC number, according to the GOV.UK website, is still +44 (0) 191 218 7777!

https://www.gov.uk/international-pension-centre

And the GOV.UK website is usually pretty good in providing updated info of this sort promptly.

Probably makes no difference in practice cost-wise which number you use for making the call from Thailand, though, if you don't use/have Skype (as I don't).

Edited by OJAS

6 hours ago, steve187 said:

0800 numbers from Thailand are only reachable using skype

For those that don't have and don't want Skype they can also be reached by calling (+)44 (0)1224 390800 and following the instructions.  Calls charged at the normal overseas rate.

3 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Do you not need to have either Skype Credit or a subscription? So it's not FREE.

No subscription fee.

Skype to Skype calls are free.

Skype to landlines or mobiles are chargeable, but very cheap.

I put £10 credit on 7 years ago, still got over £3 credit.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

No subscription fee.

Skype to Skype calls are free.

Skype to landlines or mobiles are chargeable, but very cheap.

I put £10 credit on 7 years ago, still got over £3 credit.

So NOT free, but cheap.

I have a subscription 100 minutes to UK landlines and mobiles @ £6 a quarter. Or if you have a Microsoft 365 subscription, you get 100 minutes per month worldwide included.

20 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

So NOT free, but cheap.

I have a subscription 100 minutes to UK landlines and mobiles @ £6 a quarter. Or if you have a Microsoft 365 subscription, you get 100 minutes per month worldwide included.

I speak to family in the UK Skype to Skype free every week, far in excess of 100 minutes.

However if I need to call the DWP or any other agency via a telephone number, then I make the call via my Skype credit.

In Thailand I use LINE, which if your overseas friends/family download calls are also free.

Whatever there will always be instances where you need to call a landline or mobile number and will therefore need to pay for such calls. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

I speak to family in the UK Skype to Skype free every week, far in excess of 100 minutes.

However if I need to call the DWP or any other agency via a telephone number, then I make the call via my Skype credit.

In Thailand I use LINE, which if your overseas friends/family download calls are also free.

Whatever there will always be instances where you need to call a landline or mobile number and will therefore need to pay for such calls. 

Of course Skype to Skype is free. This started out as the best way to call the 0800 number of the UK Pension service, which will not be free, which is what you have just confirmed, and was established a few hours ago.

Edited by KannikaP

I phoned again on Friday, i spoke to a very charming who informed me my forms were lost in a pile, she was very apologetic and said she would prioritise there process. Out of all of this i wish i had come first, read through the Topic, maybe asked a question or two and saved myself all this wait, lesson learnt.

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 7:38 PM, billd766 said:

That is odd. My last 2 numbers are 53 and it should be paid on the 4th Wednesday but it arrive at Wise bank around 3.30pm on a Friday afternoon, too late for me to get it.

I do the transfer on Friday and it gets to my BBK account around 2pm on Monday afternoon.=, or the next banking day in Thailand.

Where does it go from Wednesday to Friday in the UK?

Bill

I don't know if you saw my post in another thread re Wise transfers but I used Kasikorn for a TW transfer and it took seconds.  My other bank Krungsri, previously sending it on a Friday approx 3:00pm always arrived on the following or next business day afternoon at about 200 pm.

Still not sure if Wise's partner bank here is Bkk or Kasikorn bank.  Let's see next time I do a transfer to KBank.

• Like 1

I'm paying tax., on my pathetic llittle pension, can't believe it. So does this give me some rights in the UK if I return? Like paying tax must be a p.us in reestablishing residency. 

Edited by nausea