UK Pensions and related info

13 minutes ago, evadgib said:

My point was that this group are being helped before they encounter any problems whereas pensioners elsewhere have received no help to date from successive govts after nearly 40 years.

They choose to live in another country; their government owes them no duty of care under those circumstances. There are some countries (New Zealand for example) where access to the government pension may under some circumstances cease altogether if the resident chooses to live in a different country

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

They choose to live in another country; their government owes them no duty of care under those circumstances. There are some countries (New Zealand for example) where access to the government pension may under some circumstances cease altogether if the resident chooses to live in a different country

Fortunately this brexit lark is HMG's best opportunity to correct this historic imbalance & IMO they'll find a way of doing so.

ICBP

Overseas based UK pensioners have never received a yearly upgrade since the State pension was started.

That is unless the country they reside in has a reciprocal agreement on pensions, which UK and Thailand do not.

It is nothing to do with the EU and has ben the rule since before there ever was an EU.

I understand that when the State Old Age pension was originated the intention as that all pensioners would receive the yearly upgrade but that a Civil servant choose to interpret the wording wrongly and so we dip out on a yearly upgrade.

I receive my UK state pension (Old Age Pension) tax free as like all UK citizens I have a tax code and this more than covers my paltry pension and allows some relief on my UK Forces pension, which has gone up yearly in accordance with the determining rules.

john

56 minutes ago, jonwilly said:

Overseas based UK pensioners have never received a yearly upgrade since the State pension was started.

That is unless the country they reside in has a reciprocal agreement on pensions, which UK and Thailand do not.

It is nothing to do with the EU and has ben the rule since before there ever was an EU.

I understand that when the State Old Age pension was originated the intention as that all pensioners would receive the yearly upgrade but that a Civil servant choose to interpret the wording wrongly and so we dip out on a yearly upgrade.

I receive my UK state pension (Old Age Pension) tax free as like all UK citizens I have a tax code and this more than covers my paltry pension and allows some relief on my UK Forces pension, which has gone up yearly in accordance with the determining rules.

john

I'd have thought the forces pension society would have included this in their remit but they did a body swerve when asked. I returned the compliment by giving them a miss while actively supporting the ICBP.

4 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

I think the State pension should be indexed for everyone. Reciprocal agreement why should that matter, should it not be agreement with the UK Gov that you pay your national insurance you get the pension. If they wished to make an adjustment for being out of the country, they could withhold 8% as compensation for VAT loss, on those paid overseas, simple idicator field in a database!

The problem with it is the politicians tinkering with the concept of pay-in, get the benefit of the scheme payed out. If they would only stop making up rules that need teams of people to administer them.

I was temp. a member of a political party in the UK that drafted a policy something like the New Zealand way if thinking. Quickly became an ex-member. (At least a decade ago)

Another Guardian article on the frozen pension issue.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/mar/14/frozen-pensions-australia

Maybe there might be the opportunity to link with the close out of the pension related EU withdrawal agreement provisions. Even a partial uprating, at a cost of £37m / year, would be a help. The full uprating cost of £500m / year may be a bridge too far, especially with the expected costs of the CV outbreak likely to be off the scale.   

Thankfully this shouldn't cause any probs locally.

(At this time of year WP recipients living abroad can expect periodic review paperwork or PoL med certs. If this virus isn't controlled soon I would imagine there'll be a fair bit of leeway in completing & returning them as applicable).

Suspension of War Pensions and Armed Forces Compensation Scheme Medical Examinations and Assessments

Edited by evadgib

I had a snail mail letter from the taxman a couple of days ago telling me my provisional tax code for the coming year.

They have my state pension at the normal rate without deducting the Adult Dependency allowance which ends this month.

I called them to explain but I am not quite sure that they understood what I was on about. I then called DWP and told them the same thing and asked them to sort it out asap with HMRC.

If it happens to me it may happen to some of you guys as well and at some point you may get a big tax bill to pay.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2020 at 6:25 PM, billd766 said:

I had a snail mail letter from the taxman a couple of days ago telling me my provisional tax code for the coming year.

They have my state pension at the normal rate without deducting the Adult Dependency allowance which ends this month.

I called them to explain but I am not quite sure that they understood what I was on about. I then called DWP and told them the same thing and asked them to sort it out asap with HMRC.

If it happens to me it may happen to some of you guys as well and at some point you may get a big tax bill to pay.

I had one as well ,but you should get another one for the coming year later

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

I had one as well ,but you should get another one for the coming year later

By Snail mail as usual.

Just a thought most of these letters are postmarked from somewhere in Europe.

When Brexit if finally completed, perhaps they will go back to the post office.

i turned 66 in mid august 2019 and applied to the uk pension office in wolverhampton applying for a pension

I included various documents such as my birth certificate,my national insurance number,etc and also included a copy of my employment records which showed in had 19 years of national insurance contributions as for the past nearly 30 years i have worked abroad 

The pension office acknowledged receipts of my application on 3/2/20 and also sent a 1pc481 form for me to fill in in order to clarify my irish bank details(requesting my iban number and bic number etc)

I was on the phone to them about 7 days ago so should i pursue my now claim or leave it for another weeek or two?

• 2 weeks later...

Extract from an email received overnight from the consortium:

One journalist who has been very supportive of highlighting the frozen pension issue in the past, has asked our London PR firm to try and find a frozen pensioner who is being doubly affected now, with the collapse of the financial markets and massive unemployment. 
If you fall into this category and are prepared to share your story please email 
[email protected].
The journalist who works for "The Express"   will want your name, age, current UK pension, and how Covid-19 is affecting you. 

Edited by evadgib

So the UK and Thailand do not have a reciprocal agreement on pensions, however the UK and other jurisdictions are attempting to extend reciprocal agreements on financial information. It wont be until 2023 that the expected legislation to annually and automatically report financial information under the CRS standards come into force here in LoS.

So that allows some freedom of your financial affairs presently. Much like most of Issan. After that maybe there can be another challenge on the issue; the first one was rejected in 2010 by the European court. Maybe Brexit will allow for another challenge.

Meanwhile a campaign of women in the UK born in the 50’s are continuing their fight against changes to the pension age…...on the grounds its unlawfully discriminatory on the basis of age and sex!

4 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Yes and the first one was rejected in 2010 because the Labour PM Tony Blair faught tooth and nail to stop it happening ,rot in hell Blair .

The Conservative government had the opportunity to give increases to residents overseas in the introduction of 1995 pensions act. During the passage of the Act an amendment was forwarded and voted on to give such increases. The amendment was defeated 35 to 197.

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am sure this has been covered before but I can't find it on a search....

Expat aged  74 took his pension in 2012.

He is now considering going back to stay with family in the UK. His pension will increase by approx. GBP 100 p.m.

If after, say, 6 months (or more) he decides he wants to return permanently to Thailand, does he retain the GBP 100 pm increase ?

Oh woe is me. Not only was my pension frozen at the 2009 rate, but the barstewards have stopped my adult dependency allowance from last month.

I knew it was coming and at least I got 10 years of it.

So if you around in rural Khampaeng Phet foraging around trash bins just please buy me a wee half of Hong Thong.

On 5/9/2020 at 4:55 AM, hotandsticky said:

I am sure this has been covered before but I can't find it on a search....

Expat aged  74 took his pension in 2012.

He is now considering going back to stay with family in the UK. His pension will increase by approx. GBP 100 p.m.

If after, say, 6 months (or more) he decides he wants to return permanently to Thailand, does he retain the GBP 100 pm increase ?

Its up to him,6 hours,six days,six weeks,six months,just do not tell   Nothing can be done about anything.

its been thrashed to death,go back 20  30 pages to find out

7 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Its up to him,6 hours,six days,six weeks,six months,just do not tell   Nothing can be done about anything.

its been thrashed to death,go back 20  30 pages to find out

It is not actually up to him, there is a defining time period which I thought was 6 months. Less than that and the payments revert to the old figure. Clearly, you don't know either.

Note: we are talking about someone who wants to play by the rules (most definitely up to him) not someone who claims the increase and then returns to Thailand without advising the DWP.

40 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

It is not actually up to him, there is a defining time period which I thought was 6 months. Less than that and the payments revert to the old figure. Clearly, you don't know either.

Note: we are talking about someone who wants to play by the rules (most definitely up to him) not someone who claims the increase and then returns to Thailand without advising the DWP.

Well obviously you would know the rules /regulations/punishments     And "thought" as in your case clearly does follow a muck cart

15 minutes ago, izod10 said:

Well obviously you would know the rules /regulations/punishments     And "thought" as in your case clearly does follow a muck cart

I had hoped for a response that was better than limp trolling.

Disappointed again.

Not with you, that is no more than I would have expected.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

I had hoped for a response that was better than limp trolling.

Disappointed again.

Not with you, that is no more than I would have expected.

As I stated you know the "rules/regulations/punishments..or as in your case , not,  and as you state are a ignoramus,if that is "trolling" so be it

...and I must say,where exactly does he state" he wants to play by the rules"?  another 'edit"  there is no time limit 6 months or otherwise

Edited by izod10