UK Pensions and related info

19 hours ago, OJAS said:

The only forms those of us living in LOS receive from DWP these days (not as often as yearly, though, fortunately) relate to the dreaded Life Certificate.

yES DUE UP IN aUG/sEPT THIS YEAR

About the UK pension:  I was born in 1961 and will have 35 years contributions.  Will I get the full new state pension when I reach 67 (currently 185.15 pounds) , or is there some other fancy calculation I have to work on?

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

About the UK pension:  I was born in 1961 and will have 35 years contributions.  Will I get the full new state pension when I reach 67 (currently 185.15 pounds) , or is there some other fancy calculation I have to work on?

Impossible for anyone on here to say without knowing your history, but you can find out on line.  Try here to start with:

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension/prove-identity

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mommysboy said:

If, at any stage of your working life, you were contracted out of SERPS(which I was), you may not get the full amount. I don't and have 36 years of contributions.

Edited by Mutt Daeng

On 5/10/2022 at 7:48 AM, DezLez said:

I am sorry to say you are wrong about not being contacted by the pensions department in the UK.

Although resident here I maintain a UK address and evey year in March I receice my annual increase letter at my UK address.   See copy below!

788312886_pensionletter.jpg.70fb91beee1c0d696a4bd5e7f1b1e771.jpg

So do you think that when you get a new passport at BKK they tell the dwp that you are in Thailand,? Never heard of it

• Confused 1

On 5/10/2022 at 7:48 AM, DezLez said:

I am sorry to say you are wrong about not being contacted by the pensions department in the UK.

Although resident here I maintain a UK address and evey year in March I receice my annual increase letter at my UK address.   See copy below!

Me too, but I don't get those letters in the UK post.

All I get is emails telling me to check my gateway account.

2 hours ago, Mutt Daeng said:

If, at any stage of your working life, you were contracted out of SERPS(which I was), you may not get the full amount. I don't and have 36 years of contributions.

I was contracted out at some point, 35 years contributions, I needed to spend about 3,200GBP on 4 years extra voluntary NI to bring my state pension within 2 pounds of the maximum. I thought it was worth it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

So do you think that when you get a new passport at BKK they tell the dwp that you are in Thailand,? Never heard of it

Sorry I do not understand your refernce to passports!

I think your response seems to be either in the wrong thread or using the wrong quote!

9 minutes ago, DezLez said:

Sorry I do not understand your refernce to passports!

I think your response seems to be either in the wrong thread or using the wrong quote!

Yes must be the wrong thread , someone said that if you lived in Thailand and kept a uk address if you got a passport in bkk dwp would know ,

Edited by bert bloggs
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Yes must be the wrong thread , someone said that if you lived in Thailand and kept a uk address if you got a passport in bkk dwp would know ,

To renew a UK PP in BKK, you must have copies of every page of the old PP. All the info would be there if pensions wanted to know, you know, retirement visa's and extensions.........????

One day all the dot's will add up, after all, in the UK you now don't need a car road tax disc, the police and cameras can find out if a car is taxed, insured or M.O.T'd.

A high-tech UK/World....????

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, transam said:

To renew a UK PP in BKK, you must have copies of every page of the old PP. All the info would be there if pensions wanted to know, you know, retirement visa's and extensions.........????

One day all the dot's will add up, after all, in the UK you now don't need a car road tax disc, the police and cameras can find out if a car is taxed, insured or M.O.T'd.

A high-tech UK/World....????

Well before pandemic 2018 I got a winter allowance of 200 squid paid into my UK bank by the DWP.

I kept the money in the bank for a year believing I would surely have to give it back, the following year I emailed them and asked when is my winter allowance going to be paid. 

They emailed back saying I am not entitled to a winter allowance as you live in a country with above temperatures or something along those lines. 

I got the 200 over then. ????

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Well before pandemic 2018 I got a winter allowance of 200 squid paid into my UK bank by the DWP.

I kept the money in the bank for a year believing I would surely have to give it back, the following year I emailed them and asked when is my winter allowance going to be paid. 

They emailed back saying I am not entitled to a winter allowance as you live in a country with above temperatures or something along those lines. 

I got the 200 over then. ????

Did you have a uk address or did they know you lived in Thailand and were you getting yearly rises?

41 minutes ago, bert bloggs said:

Did you have a uk address or did they know you lived in Thailand and were you getting yearly rises?

No never had a UK address since 2005 and my pension started June 2012.

DWP (IPC) have my Thai address.

It was obvious a mistake as they pay my pension into a Thai bank. 

My private pensions are paid into my UK bank and they paid the winter allowance into my UK bank.

I didn't question anything just left the money in the account.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2022 at 3:45 PM, Kwasaki said:

No never had a UK address since 2005 and my pension started June 2012.

DWP (IPC) have my Thai address.

It was obvious a mistake as they pay my pension into a Thai bank. 

My private pensions are paid into my UK bank and they paid the winter allowance into my UK bank.

I didn't question anything just left the money in the account.

The winter heating allowance this year it has just been announced will be an extra 300 pounds.

• Haha 1

On 5/10/2022 at 6:15 PM, DezLez said:

I should maybe clarify that by saying "I maintain a UK address" I mean that I have a postal address in the UK but do not own or rent any property in the UK.  I get my mail via a Mail Forwarding Company that uses a real address, not a PO Box or Ltd Company address!  When any mail is received at that address from the banks, Governemnt etc they are scanned and e-mailed to me.

I presume this enables you to keep a UK bank account as well, if you wouldn't mind could you provide the details of the mail forwarding company, thanks.

48 minutes ago, Pappap said:

I presume this enables you to keep a UK bank account as well, if you wouldn't mind could you provide the details of the mail forwarding company, thanks.

The company I use is My UK Post.  I set it up before leaving the UK and use it as my address for Banking, Credit cards. UK Sim cards etc.  I have them just scan the first/important page of mail and very rarely need anything sent out here, apart from bank cards/ sim cards etc.

Mail Forwarding | Mail Scanning | Mail Redirection | Mail Address (myukpost.com)

15 hours ago, DezLez said:

The company I use is My UK Post.  I set it up before leaving the UK and use it as my address for Banking, Credit cards. UK Sim cards etc.  I have them just scan the first/important page of mail and very rarely need anything sent out here, apart from bank cards/ sim cards etc.

Mail Forwarding | Mail Scanning | Mail Redirection | Mail Address (myukpost.com)

Thanks extremely useful..????

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Can anyone advise if having a Thai wife who's never lived in the UK or been involved with NI payments would be relevant to an application for a UK pension being made now?

As I understand it they're not eligible for anything any more. Or are they?

A subject which comes up from time to time so it's to know that there is no benefits what so ever for a Thai wife married to a Englishman on a pension living in Thailand. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Can anyone advise if having a Thai wife who's never lived in the UK or been involved with NI payments would be relevant to an application for a UK pension being made now?

Not eligible for anything.

4 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's what I thought. So why do they need details of your wife, original marriage certificate etc then?

Maybe because if you when back to UK with your wife and stayed there they will want to know your marrital status.

9 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

That's what I thought. So why do they need details of your wife, original marriage certificate etc then?

Easier to just say you're single and live in the UK.

That way you can do an online application, no 3 month delay in payments, and no 'proof of life forms'.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Perhaps because the benefit may change regarding having a wife....????

58 minutes ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

Nothing from a State Pension, but some private pensions will pay a widow or widower a pension following the demise of the person in the scheme.

• Like 1