UK Pensions and related info

21 minutes ago, transam said:

More bluster from a dodger.......High ranking ______telling folk to be dodgy....Gawd..............????

Hey, do you post on any other thread......?...........Stop worrying, you know everything about this subject....:whistling:

You come across "my sort" everyday, you mean, non dodgy, well there is hope for you yet...:stoner:

Its a fixation for you,takes up your entire waking life  Nobody has ever been "done"  had money removed, had frozen pension imposed,except voluntary,just about it.

All your past years you have "known"   three,then two,now down to one who have been "done",nobody has ever been "done" so why tell porkies?. You did admit the first two were not exactly on state pension,but were mentally ill,making benefit claims..1 thousand pound fine,but later excused

Why keep on...oh yes  fixation

5 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Can we draw an end to this bickering now please.

The rules are quite clear in respect of the State Pension, if you reside in the UK, or a few other countries, your State Pension will be uplifted annually.

If you live in Thailand, and numerous other countries, you don't get any increases.

It is your responsibility to keep the DWP advised of your current residential address.

If you decide to lie, then that's up you, you may get caught, in all probability you won't, I know of two that were.

Whilst my personal integrity wouldn't allow me to lie by not updating the DWP with my address details to receive the increases, I wouldn't criticise those whose integrity differs from mine.

I think we all agree the system is very wrong.

An excellent summary.

Would you be prepared to share the outcome of the penalties (if any) received by the two people who were caught........ or were they just required to repay the over-payments ? 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Both were required to pay back the overpayment and both agreed a penalty to avoid being charged.

One had his pension suspended whilst being investigated as it was believed he acted with criminal intent. he was using a relatives address, his daughter, she was given a hard time as she worked for the MoJ. 

Wow.....Well I suppose it is looked at a theft, plus the aiding and abetting thing....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It is worth going directly to DWP website,getting facts instead of hearsay,personally Id try it,lots more information as to what they do/cannot do,go on   give it a read

so if you come to Thailand on say..Incapacity benefit  lol,..income support,..Housing/Universal credit,then yes, action will be taken

Your benefits can be reduced or stopped for up to 3 years,back pay too Only certain benefits can be reduced or stopped. These are called ‘sanctionable benefits’. But if you commit fraud on a benefit that cannot be reduced or stopped, your other benefits can be reduced instead. 

Sanctionable benefits 

The following benefits can be reduced or stopped if you commit benefit fraud: 

• Carer’s Allowance 

• Employment and Support Allowance 

• Housing Benefit 

• Incapacity Benefit 

• Income Support 

• Industrial Death Benefit 

• Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit 

• Industrial Injuries Reduced Earnings Allowance 

• Industrial Injuries Retirement Allowance 

• Industrial Injuries Unemployability Supplement 

• Jobseeker’s Allowance 

• Severe Disablement Allowance 

• Pension Credit 

• Universal Credit 

• War Disablement Pension 

• War Widow’s Pension 

• War Pension Unemployability Supplement 

• War Pension Allowance for Lower Standard of Occupation 

• Widowed Mother’s/Parent’s Allowance 

• Widow’s Pension/Bereavement Allowance 

• Working Tax Credit 

Benefits that cannot be reduced or stopped 

The following benefits cannot be reduced or stopped if you commit benefit fraud: 

• Attendance Allowance 

• Bereavement Payment 

• Bereavement Support Payment 

• Child Benefit 

• Child Tax Credit 

• Christmas Bonus 

• Disability Living Allowance 

• Graduated Retirement Benefit 

• Guardian’s Allowance 

• Industrial Injuries Constant Attendance Allowance (where a Disablement Pension is payable) 

• Industrial Injuries Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance (where a Disablement Pension is payable) 

• Personal Independence Payment 

• State Pension 

• Social Fund Payments 

• War Pension Constant Attendance Allowance 

• War Pension Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance 

• War Pension Mobility Supplement 

•  

So there it is,straight from ,not exactly the horses mouth  DWP website....lol

Edited by izod10
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, transam said:

Wow.....Well I suppose it is looked at a theft, plus the aiding and abetting thing....

Theft? what was theft?   Unemployment benefit/housing/jobseekers allowance/pension credit/universal credit..yes could go along with that.  But DWP website does include a statement "not all allegations of benefit fraud will be investigated" or action taken...now the OAP would not be amongst that earlier bunch either....go on, give it all a read,go on give a go,don't react blindly to your perceptions

3 hours ago, izod10 said:

It is worth going directly to DWP website,getting facts instead of hearsay,personally Id try it,lots more information as to what they do/cannot do,go on   give it a read

so if you come to Thailand on say..Incapacity benefit  lol,..income support,..Housing/Universal credit,then yes, action will be taken

Your benefits can be reduced or stopped for up to 3 years,back pay too Only certain benefits can be reduced or stopped. These are called ‘sanctionable benefits’. But if you commit fraud on a benefit that cannot be reduced or stopped, your other benefits can be reduced instead. 

Sanctionable benefits 

The following benefits can be reduced or stopped if you commit benefit fraud: 

• Carer’s Allowance 

• Employment and Support Allowance 

• Housing Benefit 

• Incapacity Benefit 

• Income Support 

• Industrial Death Benefit 

• Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit 

• Industrial Injuries Reduced Earnings Allowance 

• Industrial Injuries Retirement Allowance 

• Industrial Injuries Unemployability Supplement 

• Jobseeker’s Allowance 

• Severe Disablement Allowance 

• Pension Credit 

• Universal Credit 

• War Disablement Pension 

• War Widow’s Pension 

• War Pension Unemployability Supplement 

• War Pension Allowance for Lower Standard of Occupation 

• Widowed Mother’s/Parent’s Allowance 

• Widow’s Pension/Bereavement Allowance 

• Working Tax Credit 

Benefits that cannot be reduced or stopped 

The following benefits cannot be reduced or stopped if you commit benefit fraud: 

• Attendance Allowance 

• Bereavement Payment 

• Bereavement Support Payment 

• Child Benefit 

• Child Tax Credit 

• Christmas Bonus 

• Disability Living Allowance 

• Graduated Retirement Benefit 

• Guardian’s Allowance 

• Industrial Injuries Constant Attendance Allowance (where a Disablement Pension is payable) 

• Industrial Injuries Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance (where a Disablement Pension is payable) 

• Personal Independence Payment 

• State Pension 

• Social Fund Payments 

• War Pension Constant Attendance Allowance 

• War Pension Exceptionally Severe Disablement Allowance 

• War Pension Mobility Supplement 

•  

So there it is,straight from ,not exactly the horses mouth  DWP website....lol

In the case of state pension the benefit is not being sanctioned .

In UK social security law  a benefit sanction is a penalty of either loss or reduction of benefit.

The penalty being imposed is a fine and repayment of the overpayment as a debt.

Social Security law allows the fine to be treated the same as the overpayment.

The person is not incurring a penalty of benefit sanction. The pension is being paid at the entitled amount with the debt being collected at source. ( allowed under the Social Security ( payment on account, overpayments and recoveries) 1988 regulations.).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, izod10 said:

Theft? what was theft?   Unemployment benefit/housing/jobseekers allowance/pension credit/universal credit..yes could go along with that.  But DWP website does include a statement "not all allegations of benefit fraud will be investigated" or action taken...now the OAP would not be amongst that earlier bunch either....go on, give it all a read,go on give a go,don't react blindly to your perceptions

I notice you have not questioned "another" on his knowledge of folk who have been busted, why is that, are you going to call him a liar too...?  ????

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just a heads up that Rushi Sunik has a budget next month, probably wont be much in it for us but you never know. Perhaps a rise in our allowances to get the economy moving, a forlorn hope but stranger things happen in England as time goes by.

4 hours ago, nong38 said:

Just a heads up that Rushi Sunik has a budget next month, probably wont be much in it for us but you never know. Perhaps a rise in our allowances to get the economy moving, a forlorn hope but stranger things happen in England as time goes by.

Hate to bring you bad news but there will be nothing in it for you or for any others of us – the pension is frozen

On 6/12/2020 at 3:18 PM, canopus1969 said:

Hate to bring you bad news but there will be nothing in it for you or for any others of us – the pension is frozen

My pension is frozen and anyway I only get about 50% of it due to the fact I left the UK to go to New Zealand, and I now receive 50% of the New Zealand pension as well as I now live in Thailand.

My question, because I can't seem to find any reference to it here, is:.....Have there been any very recent changes to the amount paid by way of UK pensions. I ask this because my last payment into my bank account here seemed very low and another friend on the UK pension here has suggested that changes were made to the tune of £40 pm (he seemed to think that was the amount) because he received less than he normally did.

Anyone know of any changes or anything that would have affected this?

Actually whilst I'm on the subject, I get my pension paid into the Bangkok Bank London office and they charge me £20 to send it to my Bangkok bank here in Phuket, and I'm wondering if it would be less costly if I just got the pension department to transfer directly to my Bangkok bank here? I seem to recall someone saying that paying the £20 in London was a better way to go, because the rate offered here by Bangkok Bank for pounds was low and overall cost more than the £20 charged by Bangkok Bank in London – – anyone have any info on this please?

Many thanks in anticipation of some answers.

5 minutes ago, treetops said:

Adult Dependancy Payments ceased as of April this year.  Could it be this?

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/2020/01/1-000s-face-state-pension-cuts-of-up-to-p70-week-from-april/

Thank you for your prompt reply, treetops, and this may be why a friend of mine has had his pension payments reduced, but it shouldn't affect me because I never received the adult dependency payments anyway.

I have sent an email to the pensions department to see if they can throw any light on it, but all the same thank you for taking the time to reply and I will pass the information on to my friend.

Edited by xylophone

14 hours ago, xylophone said:

My pension is frozen and anyway I only get about 50% of it due to the fact I left the UK to go to New Zealand, and I now receive 50% of the New Zealand pension as well as I now live in Thailand.

My question, because I can't seem to find any reference to it here, is:.....Have there been any very recent changes to the amount paid by way of UK pensions. I ask this because my last payment into my bank account here seemed very low and another friend on the UK pension here has suggested that changes were made to the tune of £40 pm (he seemed to think that was the amount) because he received less than he normally did.

Anyone know of any changes or anything that would have affected this?

Actually whilst I'm on the subject, I get my pension paid into the Bangkok Bank London office and they charge me £20 to send it to my Bangkok bank here in Phuket, and I'm wondering if it would be less costly if I just got the pension department to transfer directly to my Bangkok bank here? I seem to recall someone saying that paying the £20 in London was a better way to go, because the rate offered here by Bangkok Bank for pounds was low and overall cost more than the £20 charged by Bangkok Bank in London – – anyone have any info on this please?

Many thanks in anticipation of some answers.

My money goes directly (and surprisingly promptly) direct to my BKK account here in Thailand. No charges. I believe I found a form on the internet, which I filled out and sent by EMS, no problems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, cooked said:

My money goes directly (and surprisingly promptly) direct to my BKK account here in Thailand. No charges. I believe I found a form on the internet, which I filled out and sent by EMS, no problems.

Good day "cooked", thank you for your reply and I have been looking into the way in which my UK pension is paid to me here, and I settled on the payment going from the UK government pension people into a Bangkok Bank office in London, which charged me £20 for converting it to baht, and then they all sent it to my Bangkok Bank branch here in Patong, which I believe also charged me a fee!

I did a little more research into my saved emails and apparently the UK pension service monies are handled by Citibank in the UK who then do the transferring to wherever is required.

My question to you therefore would be (with respect)....... do you incur any charges at this end for the transfer of your pension to your Thai bank?

I have also found the details for contacting the UK pension people and it appears that nowadays one has to telephone them with the information as they won't accept it via email, however that's no problem because I can do that as soon as I hear back from you.

Once again many thanks for your help and I will let you know any outcome.

PS. By all means contact me by a PM if you wish.

I think the negatives of sending it directly were mainly from people using the income method for yearly extensions. I recall some issues were;-

The direct credit of UK pension did not show as an overseas transfer when credited to the account causing some complication, as it arrive Baht-net from Citibank.

The frequency of the payments is either 28 days or 13 weeks, not calendar monthly, which caused some complication, as the people considering had a weird view that pensions are all only calendar monthly payment frequency. 

Direct credited state pension payments to Thailand in the same Calendar year as they are received, potentially could be could be considered taxable income as it is not as clearly excluded under the UK / TH DTT, as say the USA / TH. 

Of course this may be irrelevant to your situation ????

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/18/2020 at 8:04 AM, cooked said:

I managed to get telephone the UK Pension folk and they were very helpful and are working on getting my part pension paid directly into my Thai bank here, rather than the Bk Bank office in London.

Hopefully no "fish hooks".......and thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I managed to get telephone the UK Pension folk and they were very helpful and are working on getting my part pension paid directly into my Thai bank here, rather than the Bk Bank office in London.

Hopefully no "fish hooks".......and thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

There are no problems, I have sorted it for a few guys here, will take about a month for the payment change once they receive the filled out bank change details form..That goes for any pension payment, state or private pension..

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, UKresonant said:

The direct credit of UK pension did not show as an overseas transfer when credited to the account causing some complication, as it arrive Baht-net from Citibank.

Citibank handle all payments of UK pensions.

If opting to transfer your Pension payments direct to your Thai bank account, Citibank transfer the payment through the Bank of Thailand (BOT), who convert the currency amount, before transferring to your elected Thai bank account. This is known as the Bahtnet system of transfer.

The conversion charge is minimal and the currency exchange rate is good.

How it is coded greatly depends on the Thai bank your transferring to.

In most cases is will be coded 'BNT' an abbreviation of 'Bahtnet'.

Some Immigration offices will be aware this represents an International transfer, others not so.

This is only of concern if using the income method.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, transam said:

That goes for any pension payment, state or private pension..

Not all private/company pension providers are members of the 'Bahtnet' scheme.

If the Pension provider doesn't have a deposit account with BOT, they cannot use this method of cheap and effective transfers. Fortunately many UK Pension providers do, but not all.

BAHTNET (Bank of Thailand Automated High-value Transfer Network) is a financial infrastructure serving for Real-Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) of large value funds transfer between financial institutions or other organizations maintaining deposit accounts at the Bank of Thailand (BOT).

https://www.bot.or.th/English/PaymentSystems/PSServices/bahtnet/Pages/default.aspx

• Thanks 1

Transferwise.  straight into their account from any UK bank,then into any bank (anywhere) once set up.  The beauty of this is you can bring as little or more as you request,   mostly takes seconds

Study exchange rates for a few mins before,..last few days  (this week)  difference of roughly 2.4% the value of £ has gone down against the baht,then either bring a little over (few hundred or so) until the £ goes up again a day or two later    Weekend rates Fri/Mon generally are bad days for exchange  Wed/ Thurs best days

Get excellent exchange rates  far better than TT exchange

For monthly income best way as you can judge the 65000  limit,their rates as far as I can judge are a little under 1%

Once requested a transfer quote from Transferwise,they will guarantee that rate for 24 hours, if £ slides go for exchange, if £ increases wait for 24 hours  or cancel, go for increased £ rate

Edited by izod10
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Not all private/company pension providers are members of the 'Bahtnet' scheme.

If the Pension provider doesn't have a deposit account with BOT, they cannot use this method of cheap and effective transfers. Fortunately many UK Pension providers do, but not all.

https://www.bot.or.th/English/PaymentSystems/PSServices/bahtnet/Pages/default.aspx

Perhaps, but I have sorted 5 private pensions for folk, every one sent a form to fill in with the Thai bank details, there were no problems.