BANGKOK
rooster59

Chonburi man in lucky escape as twin tires come off truck and smash into his pick-up

Chonburi man in lucky escape as twin tires come off truck and smash into his pick-up

crash.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

Police were called to the Klaeng to Chonburi Road - Route 344 - at 10 pm last night after twin tires became detached from a six wheel truck and smashed into the front of an Isuzu pick-up being driven by 31 year old Withoon. 

Withoon counted himself very lucky to be completely unhurt. He saw the tires coming towards him from the other side of the road and braked but it was to no avail. 

He was on his way from Sri Racha to see his father in Nong Mon. 

Police at the scene found that the tires had become detached from a 6 wheel truck that was being towed on the other side of the road. 

The driver of the tow truck - Boy - said he was perplexed as to how this could have happened. He had towed the vehicle from the Chonburi Motorway and was taking it to a garage in Ban Beung for repairs. 

All those involved and insurance assessors went to the Ban Beung police station to discuss matters.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-11
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Oh Boy why are you perplexed its a daily occurrence when no one checks whether the wheels are about to fall off on their slaughter weapon 🤔 

It was "break failure"... the usual excuse.

14 hours ago, rooster59 said:

All those involved and insurance assessors went to the Ban Beung police station to discuss matters.

Probably a short meeting when discovered no farang to fleece

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Oh Boy why are you perplexed its a daily occurrence when no one checks whether the wheels are about to fall off on their slaughter weapon 

Was it the tyres that came off?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Withoon counted himself very lucky to be completely unhurt. He saw the tires coming towards him from the other side of the road and braked but it was to no avail.

At least they didn't go through the windscreen, that would have given you the mother of all migraines !

43 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I could understand one type deflating and coming off the wheel but two together seems unlikely. Most probably two wheels complete with tyres came off due to failed half-shaft. 

It was the half shaft that failed , had it happen to me with a Butane tanker in the uK.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

It was the half shaft that failed , had it happen to me with a Butane tanker in the uK.

I can easily accept that, but if the wheels were bolted to the half shaft then where is the half shaft?

Also it seems to me that the 2 wheels are bolted together and then bolted to the half shaft. So if one tyre is to be replaced then you would have to take the pair off to replace one tyre.

TBH I cannot remember, as the last time I drove a truck was in the early 1980s.

3 hours ago, roo860 said:

Was it the tyres that came off?

From the picture it seems ass though both wheels and tyres came off as a pair rather than just the tyres.

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I could understand one type deflating and coming off the wheel but two together seems unlikely. Most probably two wheels complete with tyres came off due to failed half-shaft. 

"Most probably two wheels complete with tyres came off due to failed half-shaft". 

Or, the bolts/studs securing the wheels to the hub sheared?

Edited by Just Weird

Definitely wheel and tyre assemblies, not tyres alone.

Unusual for such a thing to happen if the bolts are correctly torqued.

14 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

Definitely wheel and tyre assemblies, not tyres alone.

Unusual for such a thing to happen if the bolts are correctly torqued.

You mean, tightened as much as possible with a 1" square drive wrench and a 2m length of pipe slipped over the handle?

And jumped on, just to make sure?

Edited by Grusa
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It killed a Japanese girl in Japan. A large size wheel separated from a truck and ran over her from behind while she was walking in the side walk. 😔