Chonburi man in lucky escape as twin tires come off truck and smash into his pick-up

rooster59

Chonburi man in lucky escape as twin tires come off truck and smash into his pick-up

crash.JPG

Image: Thai Rath

Police were called to the Klaeng to Chonburi Road - Route 344 - at 10 pm last night after twin tires became detached from a six wheel truck and smashed into the front of an Isuzu pick-up being driven by 31 year old Withoon. 

Withoon counted himself very lucky to be completely unhurt. He saw the tires coming towards him from the other side of the road and braked but it was to no avail. 

He was on his way from Sri Racha to see his father in Nong Mon. 

Police at the scene found that the tires had become detached from a 6 wheel truck that was being towed on the other side of the road. 

The driver of the tow truck - Boy - said he was perplexed as to how this could have happened. He had towed the vehicle from the Chonburi Motorway and was taking it to a garage in Ban Beung for repairs. 

All those involved and insurance assessors went to the Ban Beung police station to discuss matters.

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-01-11
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Oh Boy why are you perplexed its a daily occurrence when no one checks whether the wheels are about to fall off on their slaughter weapon 

Was it the tyres that came off?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Withoon counted himself very lucky to be completely unhurt. He saw the tires coming towards him from the other side of the road and braked but it was to no avail.

At least they didn't go through the windscreen, that would have given you the mother of all migraines !

43 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I could understand one type deflating and coming off the wheel but two together seems unlikely. Most probably two wheels complete with tyres came off due to failed half-shaft. 

It was the half shaft that failed , had it happen to me with a Butane tanker in the uK.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Thongkorn said:

It was the half shaft that failed , had it happen to me with a Butane tanker in the uK.

I can easily accept that, but if the wheels were bolted to the half shaft then where is the half shaft?

Also it seems to me that the 2 wheels are bolted together and then bolted to the half shaft. So if one tyre is to be replaced then you would have to take the pair off to replace one tyre.

TBH I cannot remember, as the last time I drove a truck was in the early 1980s.

1 hour ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

I could understand one type deflating and coming off the wheel but two together seems unlikely. Most probably two wheels complete with tyres came off due to failed half-shaft. 

"Most probably two wheels complete with tyres came off due to failed half-shaft". 

Or, the bolts/studs securing the wheels to the hub sheared?

Edited by Just Weird

14 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:

Definitely wheel and tyre assemblies, not tyres alone.

Unusual for such a thing to happen if the bolts are correctly torqued.

You mean, tightened as much as possible with a 1" square drive wrench and a 2m length of pipe slipped over the handle?

And jumped on, just to make sure?

Edited by Grusa
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I saw this many times in my mechanic days.   The outer taper roller bearing on one of the rear axles has probably collapsed or its locking nuts come loose. This allows the hub, brake drum and wheels to slide off. This has caused many a fatality and that driver should buy a lottery ticket now.

I should add that if there is this risk the tow truck should lift the breakdown from the rear, tie off the steering axle wheels to keep it straight while towing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

Also it seems to me that the 2 wheels are bolted together and then bolted to the half shaft. So if one tyre is to be replaced then you would have to take the pair off to replace one tyre.

I think that's what happened.
In addition, in Thailand, mechanics and truck drivers do not know the cross key;
everything is always tight and loose with the shock key, which is prohibited in Europe;
this shock key should only be used to approach the bolts on the studs; final tightening must always be done with a cross key without adding an additional bar to increase the strength of the key.

Because of this lack of professionalism, the threads of the studs disappear and the wheels escape ...

The photo on the front of the Isuzu pickup shows the progress made in industrial bodywork.
If we look closely, we see that there is almost no damage; only plastic parts to change; no driving element was affected more than the headlights.

Edited by Assurancetourix
  • Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 11:47 AM, nanglong218 said:

Well, I saw this many times in my mechanic days.   The outer taper roller bearing on one of the rear axles has probably collapsed or its locking nuts come loose. This allows the hub, brake drum and wheels to slide off. This has caused many a fatality and that driver should buy a lottery ticket now.

I should add that if there is this risk the tow truck should lift the breakdown from the rear, tie off the steering axle wheels to keep it straight while towing.

Hurray, at last someone talking sense.

Half shafts do not hold anything together, they are free to float in & out of the diff. If you remove the hub end plate, you can just pull the half shaft out. This is often done before towing disabled trucks.

In this case as the 2 wheels are still together, it is very obvious that it is not a case of lost wheel nuts. Almost certainly the hub bearing has failed allowing the whole hub to leave the stub axle.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 10:43 AM, billd766 said:

I can easily accept that, but if the wheels were bolted to the half shaft then where is the half shaft?

TBH I cannot remember, as the last time I drove a truck was in the early 1980s.

Accept what your saying , the picture looks like the two wheels are still together,  Tyres can be and are changed without taking the wheels off, 

On 1/13/2020 at 6:12 PM, Orton Rd said:

I was amazed this year when we had to take out 7 year old car in for it's first MOT, if you can call it that. All they do for 200 baht is test the breaks, that's it. ????

Really?

I took my 19 year old Ford Ranger for its test in Khampaeng Phet yesterday and they tested the brakes too. They also checked that the serial numbers of the chassis and engine, the exhaust emissions and the lights for alignment and perhaps a couple more things that I missed seeing.

They do that with all the cars that go through that test centre. I asked for the full service where the staff take the blue book next door to update it, arrange the government mandatory insurance and the rest of the paperwork. That cost 100 baht and about 30 minutes from start to finish and I went next door for a coffee for 35 baht.