Tesco Lotus to boost bottled water production to help customers cope with drought

rooster59

Tesco Lotus to boost bottled water production to help customers cope with drought

By THE NATION

800_cbbd72aed0a2505.jpg

Tesco Lotus has increased the production of bottled water under its own brand, and also ordered bottled water of other brands to sell at its branches nationwide, in response to the drought this year (2020), which is predicted to be more severe and longer than in previous years.

The retailer’s corporate affairs director, Salinla Seehaphan, added that the stocks of bottled water will be 50 per cent more than normal.

Tesco Lotus said the move to stock more bottled water at its stores is aimed at ensuring there would be enough water to serve the demand of people around Thailand in the drought season.

Moreover, to help its customers save expenses, Tesco Lotus is offering bottled water at a discount from January 11 to March 4. This promotion is available at all branches and Tesco Lotus Express, she said, adding, Tesco Lotus also has collaborated with some of its partners to reduce the transport time of bottled water, by sending them directly to its branches.

Meanwhile, amid the high pollution levels in Bangkok and its nearby provinces, Tesco Lotus outlets have stocked N95 masks for people to protect themselves from PM2.5 dust particles. The masks are available at all branches of Tesco Lotus, including Tesco Lotus Express.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30380420

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-12

39 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

where are they getting the  water from ?

There's at least one large water bottling plant in the mountains between Chiang Mai and Phayao that draws water from deep wells, presumably there are others.

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I wanted a grey water recyling system for toilets, garden and laundry, boy was that difficult to achieve,

It was like trying to get a launch pad installed for a moonshot. The first few places I tried looked at me as though I was from outerspace and had no idea even showing them plans.

Is it so hard to connect a drain to a hose and direct it to your garden?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Boy look at all that plastic that can be recycled........unlike plastic bags.

CAN be recycled.

Where the bottles actually ends up is a different story.

I'm sure some get recycled, but even if 95% of all bottles were recycled, which you know is far from the case, 5% is still millions of bottles yearly. On average it take a plastic bottle 450 years to degrade completely. Thats obviously a problem.

What Thailand really need is what many European countries has done very successfully already for decades, and that is a way for people to take the bottles they have in home to a nearby shop and exchange them for money, typically by using a bottle counting machine. 1 baht per 0,5litre bottles and 2,50 baht per 1,5litre bottles. It's a lot more than what you currently get per bottle. Its self-sufficient, it works very well and it drastically decreases the amount of bottles thrown away.

That's how to increases the amount of plastic bottles that ACTUALLY gets recycled. Increasing the amount of bottles thrown away won't help anything.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HOAX said:

CAN be recycled.

Where the bottles actually ends up is a different story.

I'm sure some get recycled, but even if 95% of all bottles were recycled, which you know is far from the case, 5% is still millions of bottles yearly. On average it take a plastic bottle 450 years to degrade completely. Thats obviously a problem.

What Thailand really need is what many European countries has done very successfully already for decades, and that is a way for people to take the bottles they have in home to a nearby shop and exchange them for money, typically by using a bottle counting machine. 1 baht per 0,5litre bottles and 2,50 baht per 1,5litre bottles. It's a lot more than what you currently get per bottle. Its self-sufficient, it works very well and it drastically decreases the amount of bottles thrown away.

That's how to increases the amount of plastic bottles that ACTUALLY gets recycled. Increasing the amount of bottles thrown away won't help anything.

Go buy ya self a clay pot and and fill it from one of the many water filter machines that are on prectically every soi.

But FWIW I'd reckon the recycle rate is higher than 95% in Thailand as it is an income generator for many.

18 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Go buy ya self a clay pot and and fill it from one of the many water filter machines that are on prectically every soi.

But FWIW I'd reckon the recycle rate is higher than 95% in Thailand as it is an income generator for many.

I highly doubt Its 95%, but even if it was 99%, that's 44 million of the 4.4 billion plastic bottles Thailand produces every year, thrown around. 

While I couldn't find any numbers on how many bottles were recycled, solid waste recycled in Thailand is said to be 49%. Knowing Thailand's history with statistics and facts, and how much garbage is everywhere in Thailand compared to the most developed western countries that recycles between 45-55%, I'd say it's more likely less than half of that. Pretty far from 95% nonetheless.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thian said:
3 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

I wanted a grey water recyling system for toilets, garden and laundry, boy was that difficult to achieve,

It was like trying to get a launch pad installed for a moonshot. The first few places I tried looked at me as though I was from outerspace and had no idea even showing them plans.

Is it so hard to connect a drain to a hose and direct it to your garden?

Toilet water is 'Black' water 

The Laundry/Kitchen etc are the Grey water

anyway, once you have gottren over the Costs of installing the Grey water system... the water from it is now Free second hand... 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HOAX said:

I highly doubt Its 95%, but even if it was 99%, that's 44 million of the 4.4 billion plastic bottles Thailand produces every year, thrown around. 

Well screw it then.... its a pointless exercise so just toss the whole lot into landfill and be done with it.