BANGKOK
rooster59

Taiwan president wins landslide victory in stark rebuke to China

What with Hong and now this, I bet There are ministers in China calling for the 'strong arm lest China look weak in the eyes of Chinese and the world'. Also, of course, there are the 'disputed islands' also in the news this week. Last year Nepal, friendly with China, refused border extraditions as it feared for its sovereignty. China has made secret that it wants Nepal fully under its umbrella and thought it would happen by negotiation. That isn't going to happen either, it seems.

So China, your move. 

9 hours ago, rabas said:

That's probably why Taiwan still has freedom. 

Sigh

• Like 2

For all the threats, inducements, and manipulation, this election shows that the people of Taiwan do not want to be a part of China. No one wants to be part of an oppressive regime run by bullies.

• Like 1

I've lived both in mainland China (Shanghai) & Taiwan (Taipei).

The countries and more importantly the people have diverged significantly over the past decades.

They may well be ethnically Han Chinese for the most part, but thats almost as crude as saying since I'm Hispanic American, I must be Mexican!

Taiwan has developed it's own identity separate from the mainland, and one which I preferred I must say when I lived there.

The Taiwanese have seen how the 'One Country Two Systems' thing is working out in HK, and it's fulfilling their worst fears.

There was a time back in the early to mid 2000's, when the KMT was actively promoting this, saying they could keep their democracy, the NT$ and all would be good.

Well that fantasy has pretty much exploded, hence the huge win for Tsai.

This is going to be a tough one.

But Taiwan IS a nation in it's own right, but how to navigate the road to that without the specter of Beijing intervening militarily to stop it, I have no idea!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, TKDfella said:

What with Hong and now this, I bet There are ministers in China calling for the 'strong arm lest China look weak in the eyes of Chinese and the world'. Also, of course, there are the 'disputed islands' also in the news this week. Last year Nepal, friendly with China, refused border extraditions as it feared for its sovereignty. China has made secret that it wants Nepal fully under its umbrella and thought it would happen by negotiation. That isn't going to happen either, it seems.

So China, your move. 

Sorry, should read 'Hong Kong' and '...made no secret'....

On 1/12/2020 at 2:37 PM, mfd101 said:

Grow up!

"Taiwan's people once again use the vote in their hands to show the world the value of democracy," Ms Tsai said when meeting William Brent Christensen, a US diplomat who is director of the American Institute in Taiwan.

"Democracy and freedom are indeed Taiwan's most valuable assets and the foundation of the long-term Taiwan-US partnership," Ms Tsai said, vowing to deepen cooperation with the United States on issues from defence to economy.

And these people are who exactly???

If you are going to make a glib remark then back it up with facts.