Taiwan president wins landslide victory in stark rebuke to China

rooster59

What with Hong and now this, I bet There are ministers in China calling for the 'strong arm lest China look weak in the eyes of Chinese and the world'. Also, of course, there are the 'disputed islands' also in the news this week. Last year Nepal, friendly with China, refused border extraditions as it feared for its sovereignty. China has made secret that it wants Nepal fully under its umbrella and thought it would happen by negotiation. That isn't going to happen either, it seems.

So China, your move. 

I've lived both in mainland China (Shanghai) & Taiwan (Taipei).

The countries and more importantly the people have diverged significantly over the past decades.

They may well be ethnically Han Chinese for the most part, but thats almost as crude as saying since I'm Hispanic American, I must be Mexican!

Taiwan has developed it's own identity separate from the mainland, and one which I preferred I must say when I lived there.

The Taiwanese have seen how the 'One Country Two Systems' thing is working out in HK, and it's fulfilling their worst fears.

There was a time back in the early to mid 2000's, when the KMT was actively promoting this, saying they could keep their democracy, the NT$ and all would be good.

Well that fantasy has pretty much exploded, hence the huge win for Tsai.

This is going to be a tough one.

But Taiwan IS a nation in it's own right, but how to navigate the road to that without the specter of Beijing intervening militarily to stop it, I have no idea!

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, TKDfella said:

What with Hong and now this, I bet There are ministers in China calling for the 'strong arm lest China look weak in the eyes of Chinese and the world'. Also, of course, there are the 'disputed islands' also in the news this week. Last year Nepal, friendly with China, refused border extraditions as it feared for its sovereignty. China has made secret that it wants Nepal fully under its umbrella and thought it would happen by negotiation. That isn't going to happen either, it seems.

So China, your move. 

Sorry, should read 'Hong Kong' and '...made no secret'....

On 1/12/2020 at 2:37 PM, mfd101 said:

Grow up!

"Taiwan's people once again use the vote in their hands to show the world the value of democracy," Ms Tsai said when meeting William Brent Christensen, a US diplomat who is director of the American Institute in Taiwan.

"Democracy and freedom are indeed Taiwan's most valuable assets and the foundation of the long-term Taiwan-US partnership," Ms Tsai said, vowing to deepen cooperation with the United States on issues from defence to economy.

And these people are who exactly???

If you are going to make a glib remark then back it up with facts.

1 hour ago, car720 said:

"Taiwan's people once again use the vote in their hands to show the world the value of democracy," Ms Tsai said when meeting William Brent Christensen, a US diplomat who is director of the American Institute in Taiwan.

"Democracy and freedom are indeed Taiwan's most valuable assets and the foundation of the long-term Taiwan-US partnership," Ms Tsai said, vowing to deepen cooperation with the United States on issues from defence to economy.

I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make, but I suspect that given your earlier comment that you are trying to imply that Christensen is some shadowy spook.

Ever since Nixon implemented the One China policy, the US ceased to have an Embassy in Taipei, since that in itself implies recognition of a sovereign entity.

So the AIT was set up as a non profit organization, to get around that small detail.

In reality it is staffed primarily by State Dept. employees and provides all the usual consular services you would expect from an embassy or consulate of any nation.

Christensen as head of AIT, I think as I recall they have the title of Director, but is in reality the de facto Ambassador  

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1

A useful way forward would be for the cowardly 'Western' and allied countries to, once again, recognize the reality that Taiwan is an independent country, NOT part of mainland China (PRC). To achieve that, Taiwan would need to stop calling itself the 'Republic of China' and give itself a new, even revolutionary, name like, say, 'Republic of Taiwan'.

Death might us part before then however ...

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfd101 said:

A useful way forward would be for the cowardly 'Western' and allied countries to, once again, recognize the reality that Taiwan is an independent country, NOT part of mainland China (PRC). To achieve that, Taiwan would need to stop calling itself the 'Republic of China' and give itself a new, even revolutionary, name like, say, 'Republic of Taiwan'.

Death might us part before then however ...

While I agree with you on a fundamental level, there is the thorny issue of the PLA.

At the end of the day if Beijing's tail was pulled too much, and I fear a recognition of Taiwan's independence might well be that, the PLA could storm across the Taiwan Straits.

I'm pretty sure similar discussions happened in London prior to the handover agreement for HKG. Could a few Gurkha Regiments really repel a full scale attack into the New Territories?

Now obviously Taiwan is a different case. It has a pretty formidable military capability, but it's designed to hold the PLA at bay long enough for the USN to come to its rescue.

In that scenario you move into full blown international crisis.

Xi is perusing a much more muscular foreign policy, and indeed internal policy.

So I'm not sure how much you want to force the issue, or wait it out until some of the internal China tensions snap

Yes, waiting and doing little or nothing is what international relations are mostly about.

But there is also what may be (if he could think clearly enough) Trump's motto: Disorder = Risk + Opportunity.

4 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

While I agree with you on a fundamental level, there is the thorny issue of the PLA.

At the end of the day if Beijing's tail was pulled too much, and I fear a recognition of Taiwan's independence might well be that, the PLA could storm across the Taiwan Straits.

I'm pretty sure similar discussions happened in London prior to the handover agreement for HKG. Could a few Gurkha Regiments really repel a full scale attack into the New Territories?

Now obviously Taiwan is a different case. It has a pretty formidable military capability, but it's designed to hold the PLA at bay long enough for the USN to come to its rescue.

In that scenario you move into full blown international crisis.

Xi is perusing a much more muscular foreign policy, and indeed internal policy.

So I'm not sure how much you want to force the issue, or wait it out until some of the internal China tensions snap

I would have said the same only more briefly. While it might be useful for other nations to recognise Taiwan as an independent state, it won't be those other nations who would suffer the PLA's wrath. My guess is that the 'other nations' and Taiwan know this.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2020 at 4:59 PM, GinBoy2 said:

I'm not exactly sure what point you are trying to make, but I suspect that given your earlier comment that you are trying to imply that Christensen is some shadowy spook.

Ever since Nixon implemented the One China policy, the US ceased to have an Embassy in Taipei, since that in itself implies recognition of a sovereign entity.

So the AIT was set up as a non profit organization, to get around that small detail.

In reality it is staffed primarily by State Dept. employees and provides all the usual consular services you would expect from an embassy or consulate of any nation.

Christensen as head of AIT, I think as I recall they have the title of Director, but is in reality the de facto Ambassador  

Please.  The next thing you will be saying is that the yanks never had a hand in it.

On 1/13/2020 at 9:11 AM, GinBoy2 said:

But Taiwan IS a nation in it's own right, but how to navigate the road to that without the specter of Beijing intervening militarily to stop it, I have no idea!

So in 1949 why didn't "China" pop across to Taiwan and wipe out the ROC forces then and there? 

There must be a reason they left them dangling out there?

4 hours ago, car720 said:

Please.  The next thing you will be saying is that the yanks never had a hand in it.

As you said in a reply to @mfd101

I gave you the 'facts' on who Christensen is with regard to the US Diplomatic presence in Taipei. 

So, as you rightly told @mfd101, please enlighten me with 'facts' not glib remarks, on how you draw the conclusion that somehow the CIA, or whatever other shadowy US arm of government affected the results of a Taiwanese election?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

As you said in a reply to @mfd101

I gave you the 'facts' on who Christensen is with regard to the US Diplomatic presence in Taipei. 

So, as you rightly told @mfd101, please enlighten me with 'facts' not glib remarks, on how you draw the conclusion that somehow the CIA, or whatever other shadowy US arm of government affected the results of a Taiwanese election?

I would say in the same way that the Russians put Trump in power.  It states clearly that Christensen is the defacto Ambassador there.  Do you think that Ambassadors only deal in trade?

Christensen, since 2010, was Director of the State Department’s Office of Taiwan coordination, where he had a primary role in formulating U.S. policy toward Taiwan.

This sounds like a reasonable CV for political influence, don't you think?

Edited by car720
afterthought

9 hours ago, car720 said:

So now you're inventing things that Ginboy2 is going to say? Or are you visiting us from the future and have already read a comment of his to that effect?

Edited by bristolboy
  • Haha 1

On 1/15/2020 at 10:49 PM, bristolboy said:

So now you're inventing things that Ginboy2 is going to say? Or are you visiting us from the future and have already read a comment of his to that effect?

Wow,  how did you know that?

21 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think you are somehow confusing normal diplomatic influence with the Russians interfering through malicious means with US & European elections.

Of course all Ambassadors promote their own countries interests, be it trade, or cultural issues, and if thats what you are accusing Christensen of doing, pretty sure he's guilt as charged 

That is a far cry from State sponsored hacking of political party emails, creating hundreds of robobots spreading fake news through social media. Those have been well documented and proven tactics of the Russian Government.

I'm yet to see your evidence that the US government somehow influenced the Taiwan election, and I mean electorate, through covert means.

I fear you are just lashing out trying to justify your own anti US bias without any knowledge of Taiwan it's people or any of the history of the island.

Try living there for a few years as I have, and maybe you might start to accept reality.

Taiwan is not some puppet State of the US, but a well educated, free thinking functioning democracy.

They rejected the KMT's drift towards the One China Two Systems policy for good reasons, they see the results with their own eyes in HKG. 

The US doesn't need to do anything to stop that reality show!

Normal diplomatic influence?  The yanks?  Those guys with the biggest stick?  Really?

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, car720 said:

Normal diplomatic influence?  The yanks?  Those guys with the biggest stick?  Really?

So you have any quotes from Christensen to the Taiwan media advocating either way?

Evidence of electoral interference through fake media posts?

Hacking of KMT emails to expose damaging information to their campaign?

Your 'arguments' and I use that word lightly, are full of hot air with no substance.

I'm not quite sure if you are arguing the case for Beijing's desire to take Taiwan, or just your apparent dislike of the United States