Can i pick your brain about Ubon Ratchathani?

Chris747

I am looking for a contact who knows Ubon and the surounding area really well, has lived there for a couple of years...

Reason is, that i plan to relocate within Thailand and i have a few questions about locations, areas and more

I hope to have a private chat with you, can't give you anything in return but i'll be always grateful ???? who's ready?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chris747 said:

Reason is, that i plan to relocate within Thailand and i have a few questions about locations, areas and more

if you are willing to tell us a bit about yourself it might be helpful.

married? age? nationally? want to be downtown or out in the sticks?  

• Like 1

About me: Married, in my 40s, my wife's from Ubon, no kids yet and 1 large dog. We are relocating from Chiang Mai, we lived here the last 10 years. We are looking for a modern and gated community with active security. House must be a rental, we aint buying. Budget up to 30k baht per month.

The city of Ubon should be reachable by car in not more then 15 minutes. 

Therefore the first question is, where such moobaans are to be found. Are there several developments all around the city like here in Chiang Mai or am i limited to a very few?

What are some names of such new moobaans for a google search?

thanks for your valuable time answering my questions

7 minutes ago, jastheace said:

there you go. post answered.

Stands to reason her family and social networks are mostly there. It's not necessarily bad, because they can become a support group for the older farang.

thanks all for the suggestions so far - i am in contact with those 3 moobaans, River, Sarin and Metro. Till now they are not very helpfull. I also checked the few popular web portals for rentals but there are just a few rental properties listed in Ubon.

Can't imagine that the rentals are that much limited? If i walk trough the moobaan i live now, 10% of all houses are empty and either for sale/rent

Do i miss something? Does anyone know a good property agent, which i can contact in Ubon? 

1 hour ago, Chris747 said:

thanks all for the suggestions so far - i am in contact with those 3 moobaans, River, Sarin and Metro. Till now they are not very helpfull. I also checked the few popular web portals for rentals but there are just a few rental properties listed in Ubon.

Can't imagine that the rentals are that much limited? If i walk trough the moobaan i live now, 10% of all houses are empty and either for sale/rent

Do i miss something? Does anyone know a good property agent, which i can contact in Ubon? 

https://ubonhomes.com/property_status/for-rent/

In past years, good quality rental properties were very difficult to find in Ubon. Quite a lot on the market but usually not in very good condition. Maybe it has changed now.

Also people here do not tend to list their properties for rent online...probably too much work to take and upload pictures and write a brief text ;). It goes a lot by hearsay. Drive around the city and you will see for rent signs. But contacting Ubonhomes would be already a step in the right direction. The only foreign ( and probably english speaking ) realtor in Ubon.

Moobans ( or any other Thai business for that matter ) aren't very helpful in responding to E-Mails if at all.

Some nice ones were mentioned above, but they also have several of them and the older ones aren't so nice anymore.

For Metrotown you'd want to look for: Metrotown 7
For Sarin you'd want to look at 9, 10, 11, Sarin Living, Sarin Residence....and I think they are building a 12 now.

The River....they "only" have that one Mooban

Ubon has 5 Supalai's. They aren't named by numbers though. I just know of Supalai Bella and Supalai Moda. I don't know the other 3 names.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I live in KhunHan (+90 km) from Ubon, but since Ubon Airport is the natural gateway to that part of the Isaan, I have stayed there often and like the city.

Most of Ubon has not succombed to the concrete jungle style that many other thai cities suffer from.

May sound obvious, but check and inquire before signing the rental contract to ensure that you are not in area that suffered the September-October inondation.  Vividly remember the photo of a TVF Ubon resident with the water up to the 2nd floor, and a 7(!) meter deep pool in his back-garden.

When you are looking for a nice hotel to stay while doing your field-research, consider the Nartsiri Residence.

Squeeky clean, beautifully decorated with eye for every detail, private car parking and double rooms at 850 THB/night with very good buffet breakfast included.  Best price/quality ratio Hotel I ever stayed at (needless to say I am regular there when visiting Ubon).

• Like 1

On 1/14/2020 at 6:02 PM, NiwPix said:

Also people here do not tend to list their properties for rent online...probably too much work to take and upload pictures and write a brief text ;). It goes a lot by hearsay. Drive around the city and you will see for rent signs. But contacting Ubonhomes would be already a step in the right direction. The only foreign ( and probably english speaking ) realtor in Ubon.

Moobans ( or any other Thai business for that matter ) aren't very helpful in responding to E-Mails if at all.

Some nice ones were mentioned above, but they also have several of them and the older ones aren't so nice anymore.

For Metrotown you'd want to look for: Metrotown 7
For Sarin you'd want to look at 9, 10, 11, Sarin Living, Sarin Residence....and I think they are building a 12 now.

The River....they "only" have that one Mooban

Ubon has 5 Supalai's. They aren't named by numbers though. I just know of Supalai Bella and Supalai Moda. I don't know the other 3 names.

--> very helpfull input thanks alot - i am in contact with the owner of Ubonhomes and we'll get together when i fly over in July/August. He also had some very interesting insights about the real estate situation in general

29 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

No kids yet?

Well, unless you want to suffer through what I can only describe as the most embarrassing excuse for education the world has ever seen - sorry I can't be more poetic - then I'd suggest not bothering.

--> I'd make a separate thread if i needed advice - you are the first to be contacted. Back to topic then

18 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

I live in KhunHan (+90 km) from Ubon, but since Ubon Airport is the natural gateway to that part of the Isaan, I have stayed there often and like the city.

Most of Ubon has not succombed to the concrete jungle style that many other thai cities suffer from.

May sound obvious, but check and inquire before signing the rental contract to ensure that you are not in area that suffered the September-October inondation.  Vividly remember the photo of a TVF Ubon resident with the water up to the 2nd floor, and a 7(!) meter deep pool in his back-garden.

When you are looking for a nice hotel to stay while doing your field-research, consider the Nartsiri Residence.

Squeeky clean, beautifully decorated with eye for every detail, private car parking and double rooms at 850 THB/night with very good buffet breakfast included.  Best price/quality ratio Hotel I ever stayed at (needless to say I am regular there when visiting Ubon).

--> exactly my thoughts too about the inondation - gotta stay away from this zone. I always stay in the V-Hotel in Ubon when i am there - also very new and clean, close to everything. Thanks for the recommendation

On 2/4/2020 at 6:32 PM, FruitPudding said:

No kids yet?

Well, unless you want to suffer through what I can only describe as the most embarrassing excuse for education the world has ever seen - sorry I can't be more poetic - then I'd suggest not bothering.

Not true. Asian kids dominate when they move west. The western system is sports and activity related.

• Confused 1

• 6 months later...
On 2/11/2020 at 6:15 AM, UbonThani said:

Not true. Asian kids dominate when they move west. The western system is sports and activity related.

But they weren't educated in Ubon Ratchathani, were they?

Edited by 2009

On 2/11/2020 at 10:15 AM, UbonThani said:

You mean children of asian descent.

My kids went to school and University in Ubon and despite my best intentions and trying to help them they still think From a Thai perspective.

My boy is starting a masters next year in Ubon and i know that the degree is a Thai degree and certainly is nowhere near the calibre of an Australian degree.

Done get me wrong , i adore my kids and they are certainly not stupid but i can see a clear difference with the education system here in Thailand as compared to Australia. The whole system is geared differently and causes different thought processes, behaviours and the Thai system does not promote an inquisitively in kids, it simply teachs parrot fashion and does not promote any sort of questioning or critical thinking by student

Moose

• Like 1

On 1/12/2020 at 12:09 PM, Isaanbiker said:

I'd reckon Transam. I've been living there for a few years from Mondays to Fridays, but he knows the city much better. 

I've sent you a message but there's something not working.

Did you get my message?

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/4/2020 at 3:32 PM, FruitPudding said:

the most embarrassing excuse for education the world has ever seen

Can confirm. I have friends who've taught in Ubon. The big government schools fit all the usual stereotypes, nearly 50 kids left in the rooms to do whatever, Thai teachers rarely present, sitting in the office or attending "meetings". Some of the farangs try, but most just hand out worksheets or play Hangman. I've heard Assumption is a bit better, as they try to follow an actual curriculum, but not by much, and it's a pricey, private school. I've heard of farang parents there who are homeschooling.