Has anyone renewed license without PD courses?

Number 6

Can only relate my experience to you. I've renewed my DL several times. Simply went to the DL office (with a Thai in tow to help the paperwork translation), took my number, filled out the paperwork, went from area to area, (video, testing, cashier, etc.) and walked out with my new license about 4 hours after starting the process. Nothing difficult.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

What are PD courses?

I have done the renewal for my driving licence three weeks ago in Pranburi. It surprised me that there were no tests at all, no reaction test and no color test. For nobody. I presented my paperwork, went outside for passport copies, then had to look to a video for one hour, which in fact were a couple of videos, then was called out to pay for the car licence (605 Baht), after that a lady took a picture and after short waiting time handed the driving licence to me, valid for five years. Most of the time I was waiting together with a lot of Thai people. There were only a few Farangs. The whole process went professional and smooth and I have to praise the staff for their kindness, helpfulness and politeness. Nobody was rude or unfriendly which I happened to see a few years back in Cha Am.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/13/2020 at 8:46 AM, nofarang said:

What are PD courses?

I have done the renewal for my driving licence three weeks ago in Pranburi. It surprised me that there were no tests at all, no reaction test and no color test. For nobody. I presented my paperwork, went outside for passport copies, then had to look to a video for one hour, which in fact were a couple of videos, then was called out to pay for the car licence (605 Baht), after that a lady took a picture and after short waiting time handed the driving licence to me, valid for five years. Most of the time I was waiting together with a lot of Thai people. There were only a few Farangs. The whole process went professional and smooth and I have to praise the staff for their kindness, helpfulness and politeness. Nobody was rude or unfriendly which I happened to see a few years back in Cha Am.

You didn't need a certificate of residence and a health certificate?

17 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

and JUST HOW many people on here would KNOW just what PD stood for???!!!

Well, being in the teaching forum, and rewferring to licence renewal, and taking courses, it was quite obvious to me at least. I was surprised to see references to driving licences. 

There should be at least 3 PD courses/activities that should be entered onto the application. It could also include writing a paper, being a facilitator/trainer, etc. The school should help, at least with some of these courses. We occasionally get guest speakers come to our school. 

Just do what I did dude buy one off the Internet ????. You can even buy real looking counterfeit college transcripts online. When I was in the military we had a young Soldier on Fort Bragg buy one of those for his promotion packet ???? and he forgot to take the little nostalgia sticker off the front and he got caught. Plus he gave himself straight A’s in a row for a whole school year LMAO ????

I was on Staff Duty once the night he was on extra duty cleaning the whole building all night for 30 days straight as his Article 15 punishment ???? and that night I taught him how not to get caught next time and the art of proper Trade Craft and that was before I went to the real FULL FTC course at Williamsburg Virginia. Before that at the time I only had ASOT training I went through FTC in 2004 after my last Afghanistan tour, and then it was all Iraq and Asia. You’d be surprised what you can buy online ????

So just buy your whole degree or certificate online. ???? 

Edited by DennisE
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Um...OP posted in the "Teaching in Thailand" forum and mentioned "thinking about classes," "mailed to your school," and "apply in between jobs." 

I agree with the poster who encouraged a reduction in the use of acronyms (and other jargon, for that matter). That's good advice for the entire profession. There is one notorious poster on an international teaching forum who is so full of himself he invents acronyms and posts as separate "glossary" thread just to justify his shorthand. A little bit of jargon can help save time...a lot can waste it.

But yeah...there's no reason anyone should be posting responses about driver's licenses. The context was clear.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I’d add what I know... one of the six foreign teachers who teach at the Demonstration school attached to the university did his 5-year Krusapah renewal (and was told that he needed to do his next filing online only and not in person) and did have to show professional development material.  They essentially asked for one such “event” per year of licensing.

In his case, some of his events were in the same calendar year, but were in different academic years (ie one in January, thus towards the end of the school year and the next in August or towards the beginning of the next school year) but the window clerk asked his supervisor who said it was fine.

again, just one experience that I have first hand knowledge of, but I’m pretty sure this would me a YMMV type of situation.

• 3 weeks later...